Oh No! Spider Mites?

Any idea where you got the mites from, Vegan? I don’t have mites in the wild where I live. I got them on clones from a friend who swore up and down that they were clean. Once I eventually figured out that they were living at near undetectable levels in my greenhouse, I was finally able to wipe them out completely. But that was after almost two years of fun playing whack-a-mite.

Obviously most people in the world aren’t so as lucky as me, to be able to live in a freezing cold wet wind-blasted desolate swamp, abandoned by civilization and even by mites. But it’s still worthwhile to give a thought to your house plants and whatnot being infested too.
Last year I bought some compost from a big box store to run through my worm bin. It has been sitting in a tote in my back yard. Last month I was making some "aact" and decided to add some compost to the brew. I had some extra from the scoop that I brought in and put it under a plant. That is the only thing that I can think of... Live and learn... I will def stick with the worm castings from now on.

That tote is going in the trash

If you guys ever have veg plants that are green but look wilted with leaf edges kinda curling. Almost look over watered.

Or plants in bloom with lower buds deformed and kinda off colored. Bottom tiny branches twisting kinda not right looking.
It could be hemp/russets. I couldn't see them with a jeweler loupe. Only with a USB microscope. Sneaky little microscope maggots

Likewise. What worked for me might not work for others.
Yeah face mites. Most people have them. Babies aren’t born with them but normally get them from their mothers. They live mainly on our faces inside the hair follicles. You can find some disturbing photos of them if you like.
:passitleft:

Likewise. What worked for me might not work for others.
Yeah face mites. Most people have them. Babies aren’t born with them but normally get them from their mothers. They live mainly on our faces inside the hair follicles. You can find some disturbing photos of them if you like.
:passitleft:
And some people just don't try at all..
I think I'll pass on looking at the face mites, I've seen to many mites this week... Mite cause ptsd:lot-o-toke:

I think these are spider mites...??? @bobrown14 @Nunyabiz anyone else? 5 weeks into 12/12, I think I caught it early? They are smaller than a pin point and I have only found a few so far. If so Has anyone used predator mites to eradicate (Phytoseiulus persimilis)?

mites4.JPG
mites5.JPG
Take your plant/plants into the tub and use the shower to try and blast them off. Or a garden hose is perfect but where I'm at it's too damn cold for that right now. I don't think that'll get rid of all the eggs but it'll help. Not alot to do in flower aside from cleaning each leaf very gently. Goodluck

Take your plant/plants into the tub and use the shower to try and blast them off. Or a garden hose is perfect but where I'm at it's too damn cold for that right now. I don't think that'll get rid of all the eggs but it'll help. Not alot to do in flower aside from cleaning each leaf very gently. Goodluck
only way to get rid of em all is to drown the plant in safer soap spray.. it will destroy all the bud pistols.. taste like shit too .. think potasium salts soaps

and then u got to put out side so nature can attack the mites.. no predators of mites inside..

experiences say s destroy it or spray re veg and put out side ..

cheers

I figure that the best way to start to fix the mite problem is to spray the plants completely from top to bottom and to be sure to get under all the leaves. The spray should be so complete that the plant keeps dripping some of the spray for several minutes.

Based on what I have read on many web pages the best schedule is to spray the plant every day for 3 days and then go to every 3 days for 3 days. Then it should be safe to go to once a once a week as a control of the problem.
That is a very smart schedule to use with any of the oil/water treatments like SNS, or Plant Therapy.
I use that stuff A LOT. Like constant.
It has no ill effect on plant or flower in any stage - mites on the other hand have a substantial effect on the plant.
Mites are part of our natural environment, literally everywhere.
I fight them constantly; I never 'win', I just keep their population under control.

one very good q by @Weaselcracker ,, where do they come from, the buggers

store bot soil and peat moss is where mine came from,, and every time i used new soil, when i mixed up a nice batch of soil,, well,, hello mites,, welcome to my home

some say just cheap stuff,, but perhaps the good stuff as well, if there is such a thing

i don't know if sterilizing the soil would even kill em
Drive-by

I always wondered that question...

where do they come from? could be coming from ourselves, mites can hitchhike in on our clothes from the front lawn... or our pets. Even houseplants. They find a way. Mites suck..........

I don't know if anyone threw that out there,,, I'm one who never did much reading, so if said'' disregard….

@Dankman_420 why did you show them hemp mites,,, going to give me nightmares now.....

Drive-by

I always wondered that question...

where do they come from? could be coming from ourselves, mites can hitchhike in on our clothes from the front lawn... or our pets. Even houseplants. They find a way. Mites suck..........

I don't know if anyone threw that out there,,, I'm one who never did much reading, so if said'' disregard….

@Dankman_420 why did you show them hemp mites,,, going to give me nightmares now.....
All the ways that you listed.
They can be moved by wind.
It is really, to point, pretty regional too.
As one previous poster noted, where he lives in a frozen tundra (Alaska? Canada? Moscow?) they not much of a problem.

But, where I am, N. California they are everywhere.
Walk across a lawn ... they on your shoes and pants.

I don't even try to put up physical barriers for them - no use.
My IPM program is to spray every Tuesday and Friday with Plant Therapy.
No bugs, no pm.

All the ways that you listed.
They can be moved by wind.
It is really, to point, pretty regional too.
As one previous poster noted, where he lives in a frozen tundra (Alaska? Canada? Moscow?) they not much of a problem.

But, where I am, N. California they are everywhere.
Walk across a lawn ... they on your shoes and pants.

I don't even try to put up physical barriers for them - no use.
My IPM program is to spray every Tuesday and Friday with Plant Therapy.
No bugs, no pm.
How far into flower do you use the “Plant Therapy “? I ordered some it’s supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

I thought there would be more info on this thread, ok then, I’ll add my 2 cents.

I’m not sure where you Shop for garden supplies, but the 2 spots I go to cater to professional cannabis growers and the amateurs too. Talking with sales and other customers, the consensus that I have heard many times that a weekly spray is a standard practice in preventative maintenance during vegetation whether or not there is a problem. I have resisted this practice in the past but this past year have adopted because of an outbreak.

nuke ‘Em from flying skull is a great product, I use it along with mighty wash. Like another poster said before me, spray once a week, if there is a problem, spray every 3 days to catch whatever eggs may have hatched. I highly recommend the flying skull product

other things i do is clone and veg more plants than I plan to flower. In the past I have had an infestation and decided to trash the plants. Without having backups it’s really going to throw your schedule off. Don’t be afraid to abort on a plant.

Also defoliation is import. Not only is it easier to spray the tips of branches, ideally when growing you want to eliminate all the undergrowth an larfy buds anyway. Defoliation before switching to bloom phase and again 3 weeks into bloom (after stretch) is going to help.

lastly I have done the bud wash thing. You can search around to find recipes but it was a combination of lemon juice and baking soda in a bucket of water, then 2 more buckets of plain water. Kind of a pain in the ass, but I was pleased with the results.

Back
Top Bottom