Oh No! Spider Mites?

I've gotten pretty fast with spraying a room. Including mix time I can do a 110 plant room in about 20 minutes.
Must be nice... I have to take mine outdoors then bring em in. Spraying goes pretty quick with a backpack sprayer it's just the room is not outfitted for spraying.
Shit looks and smells nasty to me.
Yea the rosemary did have a nice scent.

safer soap is not bad but will wipe out buds.. mites can explode indoors grows overnight into millions and billions..

if indoor only one thing to do mate termination! garbage to the dump

clean grow op for a month use some safer soap and mop up ..

grow from seed and never bring anything to your grow room

.. destroy your crop..

cheers..
complete rubbish,, and should be reported

.. destroy your crop..
at least let it finish out til harvest... the mites will die when they run out of juice to suck on. Then start over

GL :lot-o-toke:

at least let it finish out til harvest... the mites will die when they run out of juice to suck on. Then start over

GL :lot-o-toke:
Ya, I don't give up that easy... I believe Deltadubie is working with the "BORG"...

complete rubbish,, and should be reported

easy nivek .... have a pull

:passitleft:

some mite infestations are worse than others.

awful as it sounds it does take a scorched earth policy to do the reset with certain mites and bad infestations.
i hope you never have to know.

i closed my grow for months this year.

Ya, I don't give up that easy... I believe Deltadubie is working with the "BORG"...
Resistance is futile... I think that's the mites motto

Any idea where you got the mites from, Vegan? I don’t have mites in the wild where I live. I got them on clones from a friend who swore up and down that they were clean. Once I eventually figured out that they were living at near undetectable levels in my greenhouse, I was finally able to wipe them out completely. But that was after almost two years of fun playing whack-a-mite.

Obviously most people in the world aren’t so as lucky as me, to be able to live in a freezing cold wet wind-blasted desolate swamp, abandoned by civilization and even by mites. But it’s still worthwhile to give a thought to your house plants and whatnot being infested too.

The one time I had them it really was not that bad to get rid of them.
But if you do some research on them you'll find out that they are on lots of different plants and even some tree's.
If I remember correctly they like rose bushes, spruce trees, various house plants.
Some folks even believe they've got them while shopping at the grow store or local nursery while buying other plants.
Moral of the story is take a shower or at least think about where you have been before going to your grow room

Yea, the trouble with the oil and water sauces is that they kill the live bugs, but not their eggs.
So Ms. Spider lays eggs, then you kill her, then two days later they hatch.

So, you gotta kill mamma, then you gotta kill babies before they become mammas ... but one always makes it ... so you gotta kill her, then you gotta kill her babies .. .but you miss one ... and the beat goes on.
I figure that the best way to start to fix the mite problem is to spray the plants completely from top to bottom and to be sure to get under all the leaves. The spray should be so complete that the plant keeps dripping some of the spray for several minutes.

Based on what I have read on many web pages the best schedule is to spray the plant every day for 3 days and then go to every 3 days for 3 days. Then it should be safe to go to once a once a week as a control of the problem.

one very good q by @Weaselcracker ,, where do they come from, the buggers

store bot soil and peat moss is where mine came from,, and every time i used new soil, when i mixed up a nice batch of soil,, well,, hello mites,, welcome to my home

some say just cheap stuff,, but perhaps the good stuff as well, if there is such a thing

i don't know if sterilizing the soil would even kill em

one very good q by @Weaselcracker ,, where do they come from, the buggers

store bot soil and peat moss is where mine came from,, and every time i used new soil, when i mixed up a nice batch of soil,, well,, hello mites,, welcome to my home

some say just cheap stuff,, but perhaps the good stuff as well, if there is such a thing

i don't know if sterilizing the soil would even kill em
Could be. But I'd like to think they need live vegatation to feed on to survive. Plus if you think about it, the egg hatch cycle is every 3 days.
Unless maybe they lay dormant. Hmmm

yes,, well,, there ya go. until conditions are right,,

i don't have the facts to back this up but i have read and been told by folks this happens

and i know for a fact that my mite problem ended when my grow moved from soil to hempy. that is a fact

Could be. But I'd like to think they need live vegatation to feed on to survive. Plus if you think about it, the egg hatch cycle is every 3 days.
Some people have said the eggs can survive in soil for some time.

Don't know if the eggs would survive in dried out peat moss that has just been sitting for several years going through several winter cycles, especially in areas where the temps will stay below freezing for a week at a time.

Seems to me that the eggs would also dry out after some time and no longer wake up when conditions are better.

Seems to me that the eggs would also dry out after some time and no longer wake up when conditions are better.

well, eventually , i would think, the eggs would perish,, :rip:

The one time I had them it really was not that bad to get rid of them.
But if you do some research on them you'll find out that they are on lots of different plants and even some tree's.
If I remember correctly they like rose bushes, spruce trees, various house plants.
Some folks even believe they've got them while shopping at the grow store or local nursery while buying other plants.
Moral of the story is take a shower or at least think about where you have been before going to your grow room
I got mine from a neighbor who gave us a pointsettia at xmas time. Never even thought to look at that freaking thing.

One note about spraying....it takes more spray than you think to fully saturate a leaf underside. You will notice water wants to repel off the leaves....keep spraying. When you think you got it good, spray some more. Spraying is kinda like watering, most people do it kinda half added. There is a skill to it.

Based on what I have read on many web pages the best schedule is to spray the plant every day for 3 days and then go to every 3 days for 3 days. Then it should be safe to go to once a once a week as a control of the problem.
This depends what you’re spraying with. If using a systemic such as worked for me Mite-Rid - For The Effective Treatment Of Two Spotted & Red Spider Mite - I didn’t need to get all the leaves, and only sprayed a couple times two weeks apart.

As mentioned before I pulled the plug on the grow a couple times and left it to freeze for a couple months in winter, while removing all equipment, bleaching, cleaning, and repainting. The second time it seemed to work and they were completely gone for well over a month. I clearly remember the night I got them back, and realized that they were in my greenhouse. It was the middle of the night in middle of winter, clear and cold, stoned as hell, everything frozen to a crisp and glittering in the moonlight. Ever seen that movie The Shining? I needed a pot, found and broke a frozen one from the frozen shelf in my frozen garden shed, looking at it thinking I should try to clean this somehow just in case. But it was already pretty clean, with just a little bit of ice and dirt frozen to the sides. Anyway I had the mites back within the week and I know for sure that’s where they came from that time.

I remember thinking ‘there’s no way anything could possibly be alive on this pot....

yes,, well,, there ya go. until conditions are right,,

i don't have the facts to back this up but i have read and been told by folks this happens

and i know for a fact that my mite problem ended when my grow moved from soil to hempy. that is a fact
I've only ever grown in soil. Over 7 years now. Only had SM one time.
But I think what separates me from other soil growers is I don't recycle my soil. It goes into compost pile for veggies garden.
I am just now thinking about reamending it for reuse. But I've Always started with fresh soil

I got mine from a neighbor who gave us a pointsettia at xmas time. Never even thought to look at that freaking thing.

One note about spraying....it takes more spray than you think to fully saturate a leaf underside. You will notice water wants to repel off the leaves....keep spraying. When you think you got it good, spray some more. Spraying is kinda like watering, most people do it kinda half added. There is a skill to it.
Your totally right. You have to spray and rub it in All the little nook's and crannies of every spec of the plant.
Even with the safers soap. I also believe that the soap opens up the pours and let it breath or perspire better. Just cleans them out

I’ve mostly only grown in peat moss- promix type mixes. Always with new purchased stuff. I’ve never worried much about getting mites from that. I do think about it when I get given vegetable garden starts though, or buy garden plants from the nursery here.

I’ve mostly only grown in peat moss- promix type mixes. Always with new purchased stuff. I’ve never worried much about getting mites from that. I do think about it when I get given vegetable garden starts though, or buy garden plants from the nursery here.
We go to a local green house for veggie starts. I am pretty sure they could be gotten that way.
Even russets. I've read lots of tomato greenhouse have issues with them

Back
Top Bottom