Omega Garden's Volksgarden Rotary Garden

Tor,
a little good ol' grade school math will tell you how much area these rotational units get.

the area of a cylinder= circumference x height (or depth in our case since its on its side = 22 inches)

circumference= Pi (3.14) x the Diameter (44 inches).

so. . . for the volks, (3.14)(44 inches)(22 inches)= 3041 square inches

and since there are 144 square inches in a square foot,

3041(in)/144(in/ft)= 21.12 square feet.

which is a bit bigger than a 4' x 5' room (obviously). . . the biggest benifit is obviously positioning. . . every plant is dirctly "under" the bulb, so therefore every plant gets optimal light.

in reality the sides get a bit less. if you used two bulbs however, that would cover the entire garden plus some.

the 2 x 400w system would prob do better than the 1 x 600, but i think im going for 2 x 600 so i can blast the shit out of them, add co2, you know. . . go overboard like i always do.

in the volks, you can only fit 4 plants/ sq. foot. but what max was saying before, lets say they grow to be 6 inches away from the light ( plus 3 inches from the center of the wheel to the outside of the cool tube) that is:

(3.14)(9")(22")=622"/144("/')= 4.32 square feet.. . .
so although the roots and stems are separated more at the base, the get a bit crowded at their colas.

at this distance, you are fitting (in my case) 80 colas in 4 1/2 square feet, thats almost 18 colas per square foot. . . twice your 9 estimate. i read a very old thread on another site that said filling it to max is best, so thats what im trying. . . ill know whether to do less next time when im done.

The Volksgarden is about 20 sq ft surface area and the two light systems with the same diameter are double that. Of course if you grow them right up close to the light that effectively its going to be less.

Cheers,
Maxx

Makes sense since (sinse? lol) if they were growing to the center (with the light somehow removed) the effective square footage would be 0 as it would just be a line with length but no width. Or vice versa. And even with the light pulling your tops away from that central point the area where that measurement would be taken would still be considerably necked-down. Hmm... It's been too long since I took a geometry course. And they told us that we'd end up finding a use for all of those formulae. If only they'd have brought a grower in lol (we could have swapped tips:bigtoke:).

in the volks, you can only fit 4 plants/ sq. foot. but what max was saying before, lets say they grow to be 6 inches away from the light ( plus 3 inches from the center of the wheel to the outside of the cool tube) that is:

(3.14)(9")(22")=622"/144("/')= 4.32 square feet.. . .
so although the roots and stems are separated more at the base, the get a bit crowded at their colas.

at this distance, you are fitting (in my case) 80 colas in 4 1/2 square feet, thats almost 18 colas per square foot. . . twice your 9 estimate. i read a very old thread on another site that said filling it to max is best, so thats what im trying. . . ill know whether to do less next time when im done.

Huh, you provided it for me before I got around to posting the reply I had in the browser lol. Saved me from having to think. ("How DARE you!" Just Kidding - thanks!)

Denser at the tip of the colas, sure but as that surface area increases (relatively) drastically - AND as you're not harvesting your buds from a completely flat plane at that two-dimensional cylinder surface "point," I don't see how the same rules would apply. Additionally, the height restrictions actually work in your favor here because you've got slightly less canopy to penetrate so you don't have to fight the density of a thicker one - or not to the same degree as a denser one.

So... Yes, it makes sense to me that you should be able to get more with higher than 9 plants per square foot.

And it looks like you'll soon prove it!

Denser at the tip of the colas, sure but as that surface area increases (relatively) drastically - AND as you're not harvesting your buds from a completely flat plane at that two-dimensional cylinder surface "point," I don't see how the same rules would apply. Additionally, the height restrictions actually work in your favor here because you've got slightly less canopy to penetrate so you don't have to fight the density of a thicker one - or not to the same degree as a denser one.

huh? sorry can you explain this again, i can't follow. i must be too stoned.:smokin:

huh? sorry can you explain this again, i can't follow. i must be too stoned.:smokin:

Honestly? Not a chance right now. I held off on taking some of my meds until a little while ago when I took the other ones in hopes that they'd get together and help (let?) me sleep. Sometimes they do that, other times they keep me from sleeping. But as I've been awake since Saturday morning at 1am and only was able to sleep for three or four hours... It looks like I'm about to go down and out. It also appears that I am having trouble putting thought together and even more trouble in getting them out.

The last two or three posts I made seemed to take forever and I kept noticing that my browser did the underline with red thing that it does if you misspell a word once in a couple dozen posts - only I was seeing red all over the place in each post. Would have quit but was trying to catch up on subscribed threads. Just hope I made sense in SOME of them lol.

Unfortunately, at this time my medicines are limited to what the doctors have decided to experiment on I mean prescribe for me in cahoots with I mean in consultation with their various pharmaceutical drug representatives. It certainly is making life... interesting.

I remember that when I posted that it seemed to make sense to ME - as did what you'd posted before it make perfect since. But right now I couldn't even follow a recipe for making a glass of water. I'm sorry man.

Going to shut down the computer rite now so I don't hurt me.

Night.
TS

ok so they say 80 plants is about what you should be able to get in the volks? how close can u get that? how well are the Auto flowers doin compared to the others u got in it? that one is set up for 460 i was going to basicly run low riders from the start and take out all the males when they start to flower which i would hope would get me about 230 if im lucky i dono that rotogo that u said i should look at looks nice too and that 6 foot bonzia wheel looks awsome but i see how i could bend it looks like its pretty thin compared to any the others but yet is bigger i bet it would be better then any of them with the others tech.

One thing i was wondering where you all are growing so close to the light howdo u think a crap load of t5s would do lined it or maybe 1000 watts or better of cfl stuff, you wouldnt need a screen.

I been researching for a long time but since i joined this was when i started thinking about roto grow or vertical. i think it blows my idea of flat sog grow out the water.

And thanks both your threads are giveing me alot of info and i hope ill be able to give info on new stuff here soon it probly wont be put into effect till early may though waiting on cash.

I think the main advantage these wonder wheels offer is efficient use of 360 output by HID lamps. If you put another bulb to work anyplace but the centerline, the bulbs will block some of the other's light. A tough requirement to use a wheel is to produce so many clones at once. How many mamas does that take? Another is that all of these small but excellent plants each need a 3" RW. Max, your second turn was only 60 small, and I thought (hoped) I saw room for more. If filled, might your yield have been a bit closer to 1g/watt? Of da kine? 80 blocks for like $40? No prob. Filled with $20 each store clones wouldn't be on my menu. I figure 8-10 working moms plus a couple understudies to step up in turn. They might even prefer monthly pruning from good health more than bi, but one wheel first before two.

hey maxx I was wondering if you have a complete journal of your grow that you could email me. This thing looks so so cool and I am going to buy one this month, so i would be very very appreciative if you could help me out man, your volks looks amazing

Hmm. Not much clearer in daylight. I think my thinking went that although the tops of the plants are very close together but the farther away from the light you get the farther apart the plants are. I was thinking(?) that would mean you'd get better penetration then if you were working with a flat plane and the bases were spaced as close together as the tips of the colas.

Only now that I reread the posts it occurs to me that you're not growing popcicle sticks, you're growing plants and so of course that "extra spacing" is filled in with growth too.

So... IDK what I was thinking and miss not having a delete button here lol.

Note to self: Do not post when you cannot reliably count to TWO.

I think the main advantage these wonder wheels offer is efficient use of 360 output by HID lamps. If you put another bulb to work anyplace but the centerline, the bulbs will block some of the other's light. A tough requirement to use a wheel is to produce so many clones at once. How many mamas does that take? Another is that all of these small but excellent plants each need a 3" RW. Max, your second turn was only 60 small, and I thought (hoped) I saw room for more. If filled, might your yield have been a bit closer to 1g/watt? Of da kine? 80 blocks for like $40? No prob. Filled with $20 each store clones wouldn't be on my menu. I figure 8-10 working moms plus a couple understudies to step up in turn. They might even prefer monthly pruning from good health more than bi, but one wheel first before two.

u do know u can put 2 lights in the thing in the middle?

ohhh okay so i just have to read through the forums eh, I was hoping you had it all in one file so i could print it out and read it time after time after time :ganjamon: :Rasta:

ohhh okay so i just have to read through the forums eh, I was hoping you had it all in one file so i could print it out and read it time after time after time :ganjamon: :Rasta:

Now that's priceless lmao. +Reps for the chuckle.

It'd be a whopping big file that would make the Oxford English Dictionary (all what, 20 volumes?) look like a dimestore paperback.:rofl:

(But if it were ever published in hardcopy I'd buy one along with the forklift to move it around.)

nahhh couldnt be too too long and even if it was i would want to read it.
but the only info you have are just all the posts on here right maxx?

For the most part I believe it's all here. Of course it's a work in progress :cheesygrinsmiley:

Cheers,
Maxx

all apologies to maxx's brains. i got some meds for that if you want. . .

:smokin:

inferno, you could put 5 lights in there if they were all 3" long, but what the gator was saying is pretty much correct. they all should be placed in the center to maximize effeciency.
in this kind of system you get a big advantage from being able to use every lumen that the bulb produces directly. no reflection. if you were to put linear flouros in there like t5's, one bulb would be blocking light from another bulb, and your losing efficency.

besides, regardless of what else you may have read out there, you simply can not get flowers out of cfl's flouro's or led's (yet) like you can with HID's.

Tor,

i get you now. . . but i dont think its right anyways.

im gonna prune all of the lower brances when they stop stretching. i did a bit already.

the problem with your thinking was where the shading comes from. when the plants are close (sog or scrog) the tops create a canopy, almost all of the shading happens at the top 1-2" of the plant. not much light penetrates a canopy esp. with artifiacial light. so if my plants are forced closer and closer as they get bigger the shading gets worse and worse.

i'm going to prune most of the bottoms to try and make the colas bigger, but im going to leave some alone to see if there is a noticeable difference.
whis whole run is basically an experiment on different ways i can do it. i have plants that were vegged 7 days,6,5 etc all the way to no veg, i have indica, sativa, autoflower, im pruning some, not pruning some, etc etc.

oh yeah, and gator.

i ran 80 plants this round, so wait and see and you'll know who pulls more weight. (maxx has more experience don't forget. . .lol)

(and more light)
but i got skilz mofo.

Do you guys think one of these could fit inside a closet that is roughly 5'W 9'T 3'D ???
and if so what should i rig up to cut down on smell, and to regulate temp and humidity :)

Back
Top Bottom