OMG Seeds!

Savvage61

I just finished what I thought was my best grow todate I did everything perfect, till I found seeds in the larf but not in the bud.
My son also grows about 6 weeks into my flower I got a call from my son letting me know his tent was coved in pollen a plant morphed and a pollen sdac exploded 2 days later I was in his tent to check it out. My question is Did I unknowing ly carry pollen from his tent and contaminate mine ? after i saw his I went home and thoroughly checked my plants and found no sign of morphing I checked on a regular basis I really dont think I had a plant morph if I did the only thing I can think did it was my timer messed up and didn't shut off I caught it but not after 20 hrs of light this only happened 1 time. plus when we wet trimmed we saw nothing off at all anyone else ever have this problem can we transport pollen like the birds and the bees. ? if so can I make my son pay child support? (btw he is 44 now) so Im not corrupting a minor (i did that yrs ago :rofl: ) I would love to hear if this has happened to others
Thx
Savvage

Yes pollen is lighter than air and can get on our clothes. After entering a pollen filled room it is best to change clothes before entering a flowering room. That potentially was the culprit.

my best grow todate I did everything perfect, till I found seeds in the larf but not in the bud.
...<snipped>... My question is Did I unknowing ly carry pollen from his tent and contaminate mine ? after i saw his I went home and thoroughly checked my plants... <snipped> ....can we transport pollen like the birds and the bees.
Yes, in theory you could have carried some pollen on your clothing and in your hair.

If you did carry pollen in from another grow and then inspected your plants thoroughly like you mentioned you have to ask yourself "why did you find seeds in the small 'larf' buds but not in the larger prime-quality buds at the top of the the plant. Why only under the canopy and not everywhere?

There have been a lot of messages posted here about how some plants that have been in flower for awhile without being pollinated will start to grow a few male flowers as a way to self-fertilize and produce seeds for the next generation. When I have found these few male flowers in my grow they have always started on the lower part of the plant, under the canopy. If the plant is in flower long enough then male flowers will show up mixed in the large buds up near the top.

These male flowers under the canopy are hard to see. Often they will be one, two or three balls and not like the bunches of grapes that a true male plant will produce. The few balls will be mixed in with the lower female flower. If the grower cannot inspect the area below the canopy they can easily miss the male flowers. That is one of the problems I have with SCRoG nets or screens. Often the nets are attached to the tent corners and the plants cannot be turned around or moved so it becomes really hard to inspect anything except the top of the canopy.

I HIGHLY recommend that ANY time you enter ANY other persons grow whether it’s indoors or outdoors, whatever you’re wearing should be quarantined when you get home and you should shower or at least wash your hands and arms well and put on new clothes. I really don’t even like to wear the clothes I wear to the grow store in my grow room.

We can carry everything from Spider mites to pollen with us and it can definitely transfer much easier than you’d think.

This also makes it much easier to narrow down those types of issues. If you’re using decent procedures then you know it’s not you and you’ve got some searching to do.

Yes, in theory you could have carried some pollen on your clothing and in your hair.

If you did carry pollen in from another grow and then inspected your plants thoroughly like you mentioned you have to ask yourself "why did you find seeds in the small 'larf' buds but not in the larger prime-quality buds at the top of the the plant. Why only under the canopy and not everywhere?

There have been a lot of messages posted here about how some plants that have been in flower for awhile without being pollinated will start to grow a few male flowers as a way to self-fertilize and produce seeds for the next generation. When I have found these few male flowers in my grow they have always started on the lower part of the plant, under the canopy. If the plant is in flower long enough then male flowers will show up mixed in the large buds up near the top.

These male flowers under the canopy are hard to see. Often they will be one, two or three balls and not like the bunches of grapes that a true male plant will produce. The few balls will be mixed in with the lower female flower. If the grower cannot inspect the area below the canopy they can easily miss the male flowers. That is one of the problems I have with SCRoG nets or screens. Often the nets are attached to the tent corners and the plants cannot be turned around or moved so it becomes really hard to inspect anything except the top of the canopy.
Guess who was using a scrog. lol Wings, thank you that was very informative. wish I knew this about 3-4 weeks ago. let me ask you this will a mature bud get to a point where it cant get impregnated ? Like I said this was my best grow I ever has and for a bit I was crushed. But het at least Il have something to smoke while I grow my first best grow ever lol
Thx

Guess who was using a scrog. lol Wings, thank you that was very informative. wish I knew this about 3-4 weeks ago. let me ask you this will a mature bud get to a point where it cant get impregnated ? Like I said this was my best grow I ever has and for a bit I was crushed. But het at least Il have something to smoke while I grow my first best grow ever lol
Thx

No. A bud can be impregnated at any time. If you wait too long to harvest it will impregnate itself by spawning stamen (little banana) and pollinate the area directly around it. It will also do this if it’s stressed hard enough. The goal is to trick the plant into believing everything is fine and it will be pollinated eventually. Once it’s triggered that death is near it will signal it’s adaptation to self pollinate.

WOW these are things I did not know and the stuff im ready to learn @Bill284 has really helped me learn a lot dont mean this in a bragging way .but he taught me the basics of growing really Good pot and Im still learning. and learning how the plants grow and react to different conditions, and just learning what to expect out of different strains is what I think I need to start learning about to take my growing up another step.
Ok so when they start this stamen is this the same as a morph? I made 2 big mistake I left the light on for about 20 hr one night while flowering and one big Cola got light burn. all my plants were Praying and I figured that they were healthy and happy, I would really like to know the cause. another question ,I hope you dont mind my ramblings I apologize But I was growing Black Lebanon a LANDRACE strain would that strain possibly be the culprit would a landrace have a easier tendence of spawning stamen?

Hope ya dont mind all the questions Im gonna follow you too dont worry im not a cyber stalker :rofl:
I appreciate the information

WOW these are things I did not know and the stuff im ready to learn @Bill284 has really helped me learn a lot dont mean this in a bragging way .but he taught me the basics of growing really Good pot and Im still learning. and learning how the plants grow and react to different conditions, and just learning what to expect out of different strains is what I think I need to start learning about to take my growing up another step.
Ok so when they start this stamen is this the same as a morph? I made 2 big mistake I left the light on for about 20 hr one night while flowering and one big Cola got light burn. all my plants were Praying and I figured that they were healthy and happy, I would really like to know the cause. another question ,I hope you dont mind my ramblings I apologize But I was growing Black Lebanon a LANDRACE strain would that strain possibly be the culprit would a landrace have a easier tendence of spawning stamen?

Hope ya dont mind all the questions Im gonna follow you too dont worry im not a cyber stalker :rofl:
I appreciate the information
The light could have caused an issue. :rolleyes:
Messing with the lights can cause a stress reaction.
Don't think it was the B.L. not a landrace issue as I see it.
You said 2 mistakes, what was the second one?
Good morning Amigo. :ciao:
Take care.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

The light could have caused an issue. :rolleyes:
Messing with the lights can cause a stress reaction.
Don't think it was the B.L. not a landrace issue as I see it.
You said 2 mistakes, what was the second one?
Good morning Amigo. :ciao:
Take care.

the only 2 things I can think of is forgetting to turn my timer back on and one of the Buds was too close to the lights and burned 1 bud. the plants never showed any sign of stress all 4 were praying the entire time. Trust me I hate saying I messed up but I need a Cannabis detective👮‍♂️becuase no matter which way I look at it I feked up and I dont want to make the same mistake twice
Im doing great buddy Val contacted me today apparently she didn't receive my replies lol. ill send ya more details later
Thx Buddy

the only 2 things I can think of is forgetting to turn my timer back on and one of the Buds was too close to the lights and burned 1 bud. the plants never showed any sign of stress all 4 were praying the entire time. Trust me I hate saying I messed up but I need a Cannabis detective👮‍♂️becuase no matter which way I look at it I feked up and I dont want to make the same mistake twice
Im doing great buddy Val contacted me today apparently she didn't receive my replies lol. ill send ya more details later
Thx Buddy
I found the most common causes are poor genetics and stress.
Usually light stress but other causes of stress can be bad aswell.
Not necessarily something you did but get that timer storted out.
That will be one less factor to consider if it happens again.
5000?

waiting to hear back 🤞🤞 @Bill284 if it happens again I will use Hemp for the last time. making the rope I hang myself with lol J/K dont call suicide hot line or the po-po. I love life but my feelings on seeds are now mixed I love shopping for seeds 😍 I HATE PICKING SEEDS OUT MY WEED I spent way to much time with Peter frampton Live double album cover and a pack of Zigzags sifting seeds from my commercial grade mexican ragweed

will a mature bud get to a point where it cant get impregnated ?
Probably when the pistils are no longer fresh. Once the 'hairs' are turning reddish brown, drying out and shriveling up it is unlikely that fertilization will take place.

I have to say that your question took me down the rabbit hole and I had to spend some time with Mr Google. I had to ask what was happening and follow one answer to the next. Under normal circumstances the pollen falls on the healthy stigma (the real name for those hairs we like to call pistils) but how does the "sperm" get to the ovary? It does not have a little tail and it cannot swim.

When the pollen contacts the stigma it starts a chemical reaction. That starts the growth of a hollow cell or tube which grows quickly. That tube will carry the male half of the DNA code down to the female half. Seed gets fertilized and life goes on.

So it could’ve easily been your timer or the light burn. Any stress on the plant can cause it, some easier than others. A lot of a plants resiliency comes from its genetics. Some react well outdoors and hate indoors, some react well indoors and hate outdoors, some can take every stress you’ve got and nothing will happen.

It’s really hard to say exactly what caused it without seeing the entire grow, and even then it’s still pretty tough. Do you have a journal for the grow this happened on? I can take a look and see if anything jumps out at me.

For future reference, when it comes to a timer failing, do not panic. As long as the plant gets it’s 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness you’re ok. You could leave the lights on for 48 hours straight, you just need to make sure she gets 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness at the end of the 48. You can only do this a couple times max before you have to start doing math and figuring out how to give it an average of 12 hours of darkness per day (I.e. running it for 48 hours light then 24 hours dark).

P.S. @Bill284 is a really good person to learn from.. He’s actually who made me more safety conscious about my activities, so that’s a very good person to learn from. @SmokingWings is also very knowledgeable as well. You learning from these people tells me you’re more than intelligent enough to succeed at this.

Back
Top Bottom