Optimus PrimeBuds 2nd Indoor CFL Grow

As far as I know it does not matter what size container you have to start LST just as long as it's not root bound.

IMO tho I wouldn't do it as soon as you transplant but give if a few days to a week after. Only to allow the roots to anchor themselves into the new container before you start twisting and bending anything.

Hey brother, In my opinion, and many others', you LSTing should be done earlier, rather than later. As the plants get older, obviously their stalks get thicker, and more ridgid, which I think causes more stress as you lst...I could be wrong, but I am LSTing my girls right now, but Im going to stop after this week, as they're getting less and less plyable...Hope this helps!!

Quix is correct. You really can't start LST'ing too soon, but you can start too late. Just go a little at a time and don't be too agressive with them.

Also, you may or may not have heard of a legendary grower named "Uncle Ben". The guy is a growing guru. I highly recommend you google "Uncle Ben's Topping" and you'll find a thread on his technique to top a plant to get two or four main colas. With this technique, you do top at very specific times and points but the results are amazing and much more predictable than FIM.

Thanks guys for all the info!! I think what I will do now is transplant them tonight. Let them settle in for a few days and then start the LST. Another question for you all. How long after I LST before I should TOP or FIM them? I don't want to stress them out too much.

Ok so some info with a picture update! Look like just about every cotyledon has died on the plants, I know this doesn't matter since they always die. The issue is on the largest plant (Cali Orange) the bottom leaves are turning a light green I'm afraid they will end up turing yellow soon. Is this because she has out grown her current pot? or because she needs nuts now? or maybe both :) Anyway if you could help me out that would be awesome thanks guys!

Cali:
caligreen.jpg

cali31.jpg

Cali16.jpg

Diesel:
diesel210.jpg

diesel30.jpg

Buddha:
buddha26.jpg

buddha16.jpg

Looking good. Subed. Definately want to see where this goes. I am also growing a sativa. Also with ffof and grow big. Just added the gh recipe for success kit. Happy growing to you.

hey Tn things look good.
i wouldnt worry about the leaf. if it had multiple points it would be something to talk about . the first leaves always die. or get striped.
things look good id just say get them in a new pot and they will show you how happy they are.
also an the lst i agree with kip and Quaz its easyer to lst sooner than latter... it can be dun but you have to be very ginger....
are you planing on Lst and Fim or top together? LST(low stress training) is a way to get the results of topping or Fim with out stressing the plant also there can be such a thing as to many branches IMO many branches = smaller pocket nugs, fewer branches = bigger colas! also other perks to having better light penetration for the plant.

hope this helps.
things took nice and green brother keep it up

Ok so some info with a picture update! Look like just about every cotyledon has died on the plants, I know this doesn't matter since they always die. The issue is on the largest plant (Cali Orange) the bottom leaves are turning a light green I'm afraid they will end up turing yellow soon. Is this because she has out grown her current pot? or because she needs nuts now? or maybe both :) Anyway if you could help me out that would be awesome thanks guys!

Cali:
caligreen.jpg

cali31.jpg

Cali16.jpg

Diesel:
diesel210.jpg

diesel30.jpg

Buddha:
buddha26.jpg

buddha16.jpg

A wise man once told me..."Dont sweat the petty shit, pet the sweaty shit."
Not sure what he meant, or how it's relavent here, but it sure was funny!!
Kidding bro. Seriously though, dont try too hard to read into those little things bro, it'd be a good idea to transplant at this point, Im sure their roots are pretty cramped in those little keg cups. You' see them take off and you'll forget all about that little leaf....:Namaste:

Thanks guys for all the info!! I think what I will do now is transplant them tonight. Let them settle in for a few days and then start the LST. Another question for you all. How long after I LST before I should TOP or FIM them? I don't want to stress them out too much.

Id give them at least a week in their new pots to establish a sturdy root system, before you start the lst, and it's probably a good idea to wait till the side branches have grown completely vertical, before you top them. If you're going to top the actual main, I think it'll slow the lst process down quite a bit if you're doing the "around the pot method" like I did. But if you're going to just bend it gradually into an arch, well I got nothin! I havent done it that way so I dont know what'll happen. Are your toppings going to be clones or just for the principal of topping? Because that'll make a difference as to when you should top....And as far as the FIMing, I have no experience with it yet, and I wont try it until I have a set of at least 4 or 5 plants to practice with, it seems like a pretty hit or miss practice if you're not a pro at it. And therefore, a waste of time to me.....Just my 2 cents....:goodluck:

Id give them at least a week in their new pots to establish a sturdy root system, before you start the lst, and it's probably a good idea to wait till the side branches have grown completely vertical, before you top them. If you're going to top the actual main, I think it'll slow the lst process down quite a bit if you're doing the "around the pot method" like I did. But if you're going to just bend it gradually into an arch, well I got nothin! I havent done it that way so I dont know what'll happen. Are your toppings going to be clones or just for the principal of topping? Because that'll make a difference as to when you should top....And as far as the FIMing, I have no experience with it yet, and I wont try it until I have a set of at least 4 or 5 plants to practice with, it seems like a pretty hit or miss practice if you're not a pro at it. And therefore, a waste of time to me.....Just my 2 cents....:goodluck:

Thanks for the info Quix, I have them in their new pots and will be adding an additional light fixture to the mix. Im not sure if this is the reason for buddhas small size but could it be she is not getting enough light?

I will wait to LST them, the last grow as you know I did the LST with a FIM i got a lot of buds but they were small. I read up on the Toping info you suggested maybe im wrong but it seemed to say to Top at the second node? Mine all are around 5 nodes know will that matter?

Also is there really any difference between FIM and Toping? I'll keep you updated on who things are going and how the plants are recovering.

Ditto. Just give it a gallon or two and watch it fly.

Hey Art Fog nice of you to stop by :welcome: After the transplant I gave a gallon of water between the 3 plants to help get th rots to stretch :) Hope to see you around my friend.

Alright it has been done!! I transplanted all the girls last night to some decent sized pots. They are not as large of pots as I had last time and I might end up transplanting again in a month or so if the roots run out of room again.

Also I will be adding a new light fixture containing 4 100w CFLs. Also I know they are of size right now but I never did get the feeding schedule down to a tee. Are they of size to begin feeding yet, they are 20days old today? I would Start with 1/4 of what they should get using Grow Big nutes.

Cali Orange:
cali213.jpg

cali17.jpg

Diesel:
diesel32.jpg

diesel112.jpg

Big Buddha:
buddha17.jpg

Took this pic thought it looked cool:
cool5.jpg

So I was checking on them this morning and noticed Cali and Diesel are getting light green leaves on the second set of leaves...Is this a problem?

Hey TN good jobgetting those girls into their new homes buddy! I think the budda'a size is more like a personality trait than a light issue. Her internodal spacing looks fine.

As for the FIMing and topping, here is a pretty well known diagram....
fimming.jpg
It's a slightly different tecnique than topping, but essentially the same practice....

When you top, I think I've always read to wait til there are at least 6-7 nodes, and make your cut between the 5th and 6th node....(maybe it's more like 5-6 nodes, and make your cut between the 4th and 5th node...)but when you lst, the side branches will then act as main stems, except the internodal spacing will be farther apart. Therefore, the second node will probably be fine if thats where you plan on topping from....

Hell I could be wrong about all of this, It's been a while since I read up on it, sorry if theres any misinformation, you should probably do some more reading if you're not sure....

But I do know that the FFOF soil is slightly hot (LOTS of goodies for the plants to eat), and should sustain the plants for at least 1-2 weeks, probably more, and I wouldnt suggest adding the Growbig just yet...I know you're anxious to use all your goodies, but patients is key brother. I'm using all the same stuff you are, same soil and nutes, and believe me it doesnt take much....Hope some of this helps!:peace::goodluck:

So I was checking on them this morning and noticed Cali and Diesel are getting light green leaves on the second set of leaves...Is this a problem?

Pics...?

Here are some pics. The first one is Diesels first set of leaves an I know those are no big deal. The other is the first set of true leaves.

Diesel:
diesel33.jpg

spots7.jpg

Group Shot:
groupshot13.jpg

I'm not 100% sure on those yellowing leaves my friend, kinda looks like cal/mag def., but again I'm no expert....You might start looking here....Problems, Pests & Disease Control - 420 Magazine for answers bro, hope this helps!!

Thanks for all the info bro that helped! I want to make sure this grow I catch anything that looks suspicious early so I wont have problems later down the road. I'm not to worried about it seeing as my first grow the plants went through hell and made it to harvest, but I'll always worry a little when I see something going wrong.

Im going to try and use some epsom slats and see if it helps improve the one plant. I checked on her again before lights out and noticed the light green is now turning yellow on the side of the leaves and has spread to another leaf. I used the same soil with my first grow and didn't have these issues so I don't really know whats going on?

I did bump my PH levels up to 6.7 I had it at 6.5 but that was only because of the low run off PH levels. Maybe this is an issue should I lower the PH down some?

If you transferred it to a bigger pot w/ more soil I would not touch it. Because of the transfer you could shock proof it w/ a general purpose 3-1-2 mix like miracle gro but on the light side and one time only. I think the biggest issue would be patients enough to let it grow a couple of weeks. Don't have too much activity involving the plants. Let it grow. From your photos the plants look healthy enough to me to have a successful future. Anyway good luck.:popcorn:

If you transferred it to a bigger pot w/ more soil I would not touch it. Because of the transfer you could shock proof it w/ a general purpose 3-1-2 mix like miracle gro but on the light side and one time only. I think the biggest issue would be patients enough to let it grow a couple of weeks. Don't have too much activity involving the plants. Let it grow. From your photos the plants look healthy enough to me to have a successful future. Anyway good luck.:popcorn:

Thanks for the info Art Fog, I guess I forgot one important thing from my first grow..well 2 things, be patient and don't worry! I'll sit back for now and see what happens.

I'm guessing by the end of this week the roots should have gotten good grip in their new pots. I am planning on starting the LST also not sure which plant will be best to top? I'm thinking Buddha.

Back
Top Bottom