Organic New York City Diesel

Great job, Roorman! Looks yummy, and I bet it smells great.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

The plant was harvested today on day 70 and...

Harvest Pictures Are Pending Approval!!! Stay Tuned!!

This is my New York City Diesel plant cut, trimmed, and hung to dry. It was harvested after 70 days of flowering. This plant seems to be one of the Indica/grapefruit phenotypes of this strain.

NYCD_Day_70C_Harvest.JPG

NYCD_Day_70B_Harvest.JPG

NYCD_Day_70A_Harvest.JPG

Close-up of the top bud... MMMmmmmm!

I will post pics of the dryed and cured buds too, so stay tuned!

I am hoping I have got close to an ounce or more off this plant. It was about 30" tall. However, quantity is not nearly as important to me as quality.

Harvested New York City Diesel, drying.

NYCD_Harvested_B.JPG

NYCD_Harvested_A.JPG

I can't wait to try smoking some!

Looks beautiful man...

These are the buds from my New York City Diesel plant, dried before curing. Top bud weighs 11.8g before curing.

NYCD_Dried_A.JPG

NYCD_Dried_B.JPG

NYCD_Dried_C.JPG

The buds have been hang drying in my closet for about 11 days. The stems are still retaining moisture for some reason and not snapping. The humidity averages around 55%-60% in my closet so the drying was incredibly slow. The buds are just now leaving the "smells like hay" stage and some of the smell is returning slowly. I am confused about whether to go ahead and cure them at this point, with a little moisture still in them, or wait until they are drier and the stems really snap off cleanly. The buds still seem somewhat moist, but are almost smoke-able. I cut them off the plant 2 nights ago and put them on top of a piece of computer paper so it would act like a desiccant. I really DO NOT want to screw these buds up and I want to get rid off of the chlorophyll taste as much as possible.

Any advice from the guys and gals in Grow Support would be greatly appreciated.

RooRman said:
The buds have been hang drying in my closet for about 11 days. . I cut them off the plant 2 nights ago and put them on top of a piece of computer paper so it would act like a desiccant. I really DO NOT want to screw these buds up and I want to get rid off of the chlorophyll taste as much as possible.

Any advice from the guys and gals in Grow Support would be greatly appreciated.

hey man just a bit confused...first u said u had them drying for 11 days and then u said u cut them off the plant 2 nights ago... pls clear this up so i can try help a bit more :smokin:

P.S. the buds look awesome

Eyeless said:
hey man just a bit confused...first u said u had them drying for 11 days and then u said u cut them off the plant 2 nights ago... pls clear this up so i can try help a bit more :smokin:

The whole plant was hang drying in the closet for 11 days to date. 2 nights ago I trimmed all the individual buds off the main stem and arranged them on a piece of computer paper as pictured. Sorry for the confusion.

I think my closet was either too cold or too humid to complete drying un-aided and just by hanging.

I wouldn't put them to cure just yet. If they're starting to lose the "hay" smell be patient and wait for them to cleanly snap.

I screwed up a zip of BOG-Grape Punch a while back by putting it into jars too early. It only smelled good if you squeezed it, otherwise it smelled like hay until it was all burned up.

Patience grasshopper.

So what you are saying is they will continue to lose the hay smell and the chlorophyll will keep breaking down as long as I do not cure yet. Is there any danger, besides mold, in drying too slowly?

I think I read about your little mess up with curing the BOG bud in another thread and I definatly took heed to that advice.:allgood:

Thanks.

I would find another place to dry other than your basement if it is that humid. An enviorment that humid will encourage mold.

The idea is to dry the buds slowly, doing this will allow the chlorophyll to break down. If you dry to fast, you will mostly preserve the chlorophyll instead and that will make the buds more harsh.

RooRman - you can put them in jars and leave the lid off for a day or two. Turn the buds in the jar once a day so the ones on bottom get some air circulation and you will be laughing.. They will finish drying, but not get overly-dry or moldy.

That's how I do it anyway.. and I never let them hang until the stems fully snap - they feel as moist as good beef jerky when they go into the jars....

Peace
MC

Exactly, the buds seem dry, but the stem are no where near it. I can feel the inner hurd breaking as i bend it, but the outer skin of the stem is still strong and flexible.

I probably need to get some bigger glass jars so there will be room for air circulation with the top off.

Keep the good advice coming! You guys and gals are coming up with stuff I never would have thought of. :Rasta:

TheLife said:
has anyone ever tried running a dehumidifier near by while hanging a plant?

(not like in the same closet, but within 20 feet of the plant)
running it extremely low.

The basement room i have where i hang my plants...
gets VERRRRY Humid..

you can smell/taste the humidity when you go in there..
(that wet musty smell)

so i run a dehumidifier down there..

do ya think that has any effect on the plants?
That smell comes from the concrete and has potential for mold and mildew. I'd def keep the dehumidifier running full blast down there if the smells that bad. Any Idea what the relative humidity is down there? I'd hate to risk a crop.

RooRman said:
So what you are saying is they will continue to lose the hay smell and the chlorophyll will keep breaking down as long as I do not cure yet. Is there any danger, besides mold, in drying too slowly?

I think I read about your little mess up with curing the BOG bud in another thread and I definatly took heed to that advice.:allgood:

Thanks.
Actually, I've been adding a step to the drying on the last couple rounds. Going to a brown paper bag before the jar. About the stage you're at right now, they go into the bag for a few days, then to the jar when I know they won't mold up. Then final cure in the jar. there's a couple other'shere that do this too - Urdedpal I think is one of them - and it works pretty well. You don't have to "burp" the jars so often either.

I like MC's description...beef jerky. That's how they come out of final. Yummy smokey goodness.:bongrip:

Urdedpal said:
Just weighed in th LB. 98 grams. Not bad for such a short plant.
Oh yea, I almost forgot to to ya how to tell when the buds are dry enough using the paperbag drying method. When you hang dry, most people wait til the stems are dry enough to crack and break. But with the paper bag method you remove as much stem as possible because they retain moisture and slow the drying process. Well each bud has a little nub for a stem on one end. Grab one of the larger buds and bite down on the stem. If you feel it give instead of crack it needs more time to dry in the bag. If you feel it crack (and you will because your jaw is more sensitive than your hands) between your teeth. You know its now time to weigh in and jar the bud for curing.
About once a day I will open the jar for 5 minutes to a couple hours. The bud should feel a little springy. If it does not you will need to rehydrate your bud.
Just put a fan leaf or two in the jar with the bud or a piece of fruit peel like a apple or a orange.
Hope this info helps. LOL Grow well!

This is a quote from my journal.

Back
Top Bottom