Organic soil

No, most that say that are parroting information they have heard. My soil is 3 times hotter than FFOF and nothing burns. If you are very concerned though it's quite simple to cut the strength by adding in extra Earthworm Castings, perlite, pumice, rinsed coco etc. Beats buying seperate soil for seedlings. Earthworm castings are always great to add anyways.

No, most that say that are parroting information they have heard. My soil is 3 times hotter than FFOF and nothing burns. If you are very concerned though it's quite simple to cut the strength by adding in extra Earthworm Castings, perlite, pumice, rinsed coco etc. Beats buying seperate soil for seedlings. Earthworm castings are always great to add anyways.

Thanks. . how do you feel about general organics ,is that really organic? the go box in particular.

Thinking of using roots organic or fox farms. Ive seen on a few forums that i cant use those from seed because they are too hot, even the ff seed starter. is this correct?
I echo what Fanleaf said... most of what you read online or learn from the "expert" in the hydro shop, has to be weighed with 2 grains of salt. I have started many a seed in FF ocean forest... their hottest soil. Too hot is something that people wanting to sell you a bunch of hydro equipment are going to tell you. Here is the truth as I understand it, you are free to take it or leave it.
These are weeds. Weeds adapt. If a weed pops out into a tropical environment because someone thinks that new seedlings need a humidity dome (because of course, they sell those at the hydro shop), the weed will happily adapt and will thrive while under that dome. Suddenly take that dome away and your tender weed could easily die since it had adapted to that environment, but you can successfully wean the plant from that environment (hardening off) and the weed will adapt, once again.
Same thing with the very RICH (not hot) soil that Fox Farm produces. I love Ocean Forest by the way... it is a great 2 use soil. The seedlings popping out in that stuff will blink real hard, adapt to the strong nutrient environment, and they will take off like gangbusters. Every once in a while you get a runt, or a weak seed, and yes... a strong soil will burn them to a crisp. I submit that this was going to happen anyway, and maybe people are too quick to blame a rich soil for another problem.
Roots Organic 101 was my other go to soil. It is good stuff. It is not as rich in organics as OF, but it is right in there as a good strong soil. Note again that I didn't say HOT... it is a good organic soil.
Lastly, I got a good laugh out of your given advice that even FF starter was too hot for you to use. No doubt this advice is coming to you from someone other than a soil grower of weeds. Did they perchance offer some inert alternative to the soil, or did the conversation then turn to some sort of liquid based grow?
So there you have it... one of my typical strong opinions about a minor matter. :) I hope it helped. Welcome to the hobby, this forum and good luck in your grow, no matter how you attempt it. There are as many ways to grow this weed as there are gardeners. I hope you pick a fruitful one.
:goodluck:
:welcome:

I echo what Fanleaf said... most of what you read online or learn from the "expert" in the hydro shop, has to be weighed with 2 grains of salt. I have started many a seed in FF ocean forest... their hottest soil. Too hot is something that people wanting to sell you a bunch of hydro equipment are going to tell you. Here is the truth as I understand it, you are free to take it or leave it.
These are weeds. Weeds adapt. If a weed pops out into a tropical environment because someone thinks that new seedlings need a humidity dome (because of course, they sell those at the hydro shop), the weed will happily adapt and will thrive while under that dome. Suddenly take that dome away and your tender weed could easily die since it had adapted to that environment, but you can successfully wean the plant from that environment (hardening off) and the weed will adapt, once again.
Same thing with the very RICH (not hot) soil that Fox Farm produces. I love Ocean Forest by the way... it is a great 2 use soil. The seedlings popping out in that stuff will blink real hard, adapt to the strong nutrient environment, and they will take off like gangbusters. Every once in a while you get a runt, or a weak seed, and yes... a strong soil will burn them to a crisp. I submit that this was going to happen anyway, and maybe people are too quick to blame a rich soil for another problem.
Roots Organic 101 was my other go to soil. It is good stuff. It is not as rich in organics as OF, but it is right in there as a good strong soil. Note again that I didn't say HOT... it is a good organic soil.
Lastly, I got a good laugh out of your given advice that even FF starter was too hot for you to use. No doubt this advice is coming to you from someone other than a soil grower of weeds. Did they perchance offer some inert alternative to the soil, or did the conversation then turn to some sort of liquid based grow?
So there you have it... one of my typical strong opinions about a minor matter. :) I hope it helped. Welcome to the hobby, this forum and good luck in your grow, no matter how you attempt it. There are as many ways to grow this weed as there are gardeners. I hope you pick a fruitful one.
:goodluck:
:welcome:

Now that you said that. I Think i might have a misunderstanding of what ppl mean by "hot". Most of the advice i have received does lean more toward liquid nutes and other things like coco. At the moment im thinking about ff Ocean Forest with some natures living soil super soil concentrate and if needed the general organics go box,but even that im confused about . some ppl say you shouldnt have to ph with organics but others say with the go box you have to ph. so is the general organics really organic. So confused. thanks for the advice

Now that you said that. I Think i might have a misunderstanding of what ppl mean by "hot". Most of the advice i have received does lean more toward liquid nutes and other things like coco. At the moment im thinking about ff Ocean Forest with some natures living soil and if needed the general organics go box,but even that im confused about . some ppl say you shouldnt have to ph with organics but others say with the go box you have to ph. so is the general organics really organic. So confused. thanks for the advice
If you're adding plant available nutrients from a bottle then it may be organic but it's not a Living Soil which is a True Organic method.
Feeding them bottled nutrients basically disrupts the soil food web and the plants would stop feeding the microbes exudates and the microbial life would be diminished.

If you want the best tasting most potent bud then you want Living Soil and you feed the soil not the plant.
You add amendments, some Gro-kashi or Bokashi, mycorrhazae inoculate, lots of aged compost, sprouted seed teas, beneficial insects, a cover crop and or mulch layer and worms.
You just water and replenish "amendments" use Yucca as a wetting agent, add some Chitin to the soil, feed your worms all kinds of goodness and they will make fresh Unicorn Poop daily.

Dont have to worry about pH, or if you're adding too little or not enough nutrients as the little ecosystem and soil food web takes care of all that for you.

If you're adding plant available nutrients from a bottle then it may be organic but it's not a Living Soil which is a True Organic method.
Feeding them bottled nutrients basically disrupts the soil food web and the plants would stop feeding the microbes exudates and the microbial life would be diminished.

If you want the best tasting most potent bud then you want Living Soil and you feed the soil not the plant.
You add amendments, some Gro-kashi or Bokashi, mycorrhazae inoculate, lots of aged compost, sprouted seed teas, beneficial insects, a cover crop and or mulch layer and worms.
You just water and replenish "amendments" use Yucca as a wetting agent, add some Chitin to the soil, feed your worms all kinds of goodness and they will make fresh Unicorn Poop daily.

Dont have to worry about pH, or if you're adding too little or not enough nutrients as the little ecosystem and soil food web takes care of all that for you.
The organic living soil is what i want to do, im indoors using 3-5 gals. do you think the ff ocean forest and natures living soil super soil concentrate would be a good starting point?

The organic living soil is what i want to do, im indoors using 3-5 gals. do you think the ff ocean forest and natures living soil super soil concentrate would be a good starting point?
You may wat th o look at my current journal down in my signature then. My TLO "True Living Organics grow". Also Emilya has a bunch of TLO journals as well.

If you want a true LOS then IMO it has to be in no less than 15 gallon pots preferably fabric.
Since all the nutrients come from the soil then you need a lot of soil so you can have a lot of roots for the microbes to feed.
Personally I would use a Clackamas Coots soil recipe, something like a Buildasoil Oly Mountain modern mix 2 soil.
Minimum of 15 gal fabric pot.
Mycorrhazae inoculate, a good cover crop of nitrogen fixers like clover and peas.
A few hundred worms.
Some Gro-kashi, aloe vera powder, coconut water, some organic corn and alfalfa to make sprouted seed teas for enzymes.
A bag of Craftblend amendments.
And I would grow your soil for at least a month before you start an actual grow.
Get the cover crop going get a mulch layer, mycorrhazae colonies established in the roots, some Unicorn Poop built up from the worms.
Let the soil come alive and breathe.
Then plant your cannabis.

If you have to use small pots then stick with bottle feeding some organic nutrients.
In which case I would use your FFOF and get some nutrients like Nectar for the Gods.
I know zero about the Natures super soil concentrate, but you could do the "Super Soil" version in a 5 gal pot that I assume would work fine.

Living Organic Soil requires a much larger pot.
I use 25 gallon Radicle bags.
If I had the space I'd go with at least a 4'x6' fabric bed.

True Living grows can be done in much smaller pots as well. If your soil is loaded with the right amendments in correct ratios smaller pots do indeed work fine. 2-3 dry oz plants done in 3 gallon pots, larger plants in larger pots of coarse but the style I'm using would have no problem supporting 6+oz plants in 5 gallon pots with more than enough energy/life in the pots to thrive.
The plants in my room now that are in flower in 3 gallon containers are 100% healthy and will yield very well. I have 2 very large plants in 10 gallons of soil each but one is well over 5 feet tall, topped and trained.
It just depends on how the soil is built.

Nun is correct as to container size when dealing with a living soil that needs nothing but water and the soil is carefully kept alive. It is possible however to grow in significantly smaller containers when using a super soil as part of the container pack. Super soil, like the one you are considering using along with your FFOF would be a very good way to go. Forget GO and their go pack... you don't need to spend that money and get in bed with those folks. Forget pH, and know that if you do this correctly from the very start, you will never have to worry about it.
I recommend, 5 gallon containers, and the living soil as the bottom third and FFOF as the top 2/3s. Don't start off in those 5 gallon containers either... start off in solo cups, graduate up to 1 gallon or so, and then your 5 gallon. Learn to water correctly by reading my piece on proper watering.
Then, the magic. I am now recommending a new product for foolproof organic grows using a strong living soil mix such as suggested. Look up RealGrowers Recharge. This is a professional strength microbial superpack that you can apply once a week-10 days to take the place of compost teas and all the other things organic growers are known to do. Between the good soil, the microbes and your good water, your plants will never want for anything else and you will have an outstanding grow. Growing this weed does not need to be any more complicated or expensive than this. Feeding out of a bottle is for those who don't know any better.

Nun is correct as to container size when dealing with a living soil that needs nothing but water and the soil is carefully kept alive. It is possible however to grow in significantly smaller containers when using a super soil as part of the container pack. Super soil, like the one you are considering using along with your FFOF would be a very good way to go. Forget GO and their go pack... you don't need to spend that money and get in bed with those folks. Forget pH, and know that if you do this correctly from the very start, you will never have to worry about it.
I recommend, 5 gallon containers, and the living soil as the bottom third and FFOF as the top 2/3s. Don't start off in those 5 gallon containers either... start off in solo cups, graduate up to 1 gallon or so, and then your 5 gallon. Learn to water correctly by reading my piece on proper watering.
Then, the magic. I am now recommending a new product for foolproof organic grows using a strong living soil mix such as suggested. Look up RealGrowers Recharge. This is a professional strength microbial superpack that you can apply once a week-10 days to take the place of compost teas and all the other things organic growers are known to do. Between the good soil, the microbes and your good water, your plants will never want for anything else and you will have an outstanding grow. Growing this weed does not need to be any more complicated or expensive than this. Feeding out of a bottle is for those who don't know any better.

Thanks. fanleaf recommended a book for me to read, im not even finished all they way but everything you and others said is clicking for me. i want to thank you guys ..i was about to waste sooo much money and kill everything. (I was literally about to order but thought id come here first and asked around first) do you(or anyone else) have any books in mind that i should read. Im all in on this organic living soil journey

Thanks. fanleaf recommended a book for me to read, im not even finished all they way but everything you and others said is clicking for me. i want to thank you guys ..i was about to waste sooo much money and kill everything. (I was literally about to order but thought id come here first and asked around first) do you(or anyone else) have any books in mind that i should read. Im all in on this organic living soil journey
Ras Truth, Clackamas Coots and Buildasoil.

Sounds like you have gotten hold of Rev's book! Very good. You are now onto the very best and most economical way of growing weed there is.

The book is very, very helpful for sure. Sourcing "additives" for your mix is alot easier today, than it was in the past, but be sure to do some research.

As Nunyabiz stated above, buildasoil has a good selection, as does KIS organics. Between those two, and Down-to-earth products, anyone can have great grows for years, at a fraction of a cost of "standard" growing.

We can also find Great info here as well, that can take The Rev's book, above and beyond. I'll go as far as to say, a few people here could write a book as well, but thankfully, they are helpful and kind enough to share their knowledge for free.

Best of luck to you! Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom