Original source seeds from the 70's: Yes I have some

Well, cheers to Canada for becoming federally legal today! North America is breaking free of Cannabis prohibition.

Canada weed flag.jpg

I do not have a macro lens for my camera, so this is as close as my 105 lens will get. This is the late harvest Maui Waui that I chopped today. The calyxes have turned purple and the pistils are turning orange. This is the latest I have harvested outdoors in Oregon. The weather usually turns long before now here. But this week has been ideal in the 70s during the day and high 40s to low 50s at night, and low humidity. Not too much rot, just a small bud here and there with grey mold on it. This smells divine.

Maui Waui Cherry Bomb late harvest.JPG

So, the last of the plants are chopped as of today. The last plant chopped was a Durban-Grape Ape hybrid. I have been doing a LOT of trimming. I am tired of trimming and seed collecting, but it has to be done! I have low profile cardboard can boxes all over the house full of drying buds, and paper bags full of curing buds. The house reeks of limonene terpenes. I guess it could be worse? ;)

I also have started to smoke some of the dry Maui small reject popcorn buds while trimming and oh yeah, this is good stuff. Like Grape Ape but more mellow, more of a high than an all out stone, and tasty. No heavy headed stuff, but a mild body buzz to it and a tactile enhanced sensation that may be good for sex. We shall see. I am thinking that this will be a strain to grow every year, like Durban Poison and Lebanese. I have it cloned and ready to grow again next year. The Durbans have what I was after, and the Maui is a nice surprise. It lives up to its reputation for sure. Maui Waui (or Wowie) Cherry Bomb, from Mr Greengenes (RIP), 1978. I have yet to try my Durban x Grape Ape cross from last year, or the NorCal skunk from seeds that I got in trade. They are not dry as of yet. Patience is a... not something that I have ever had a lot of.

Back to trimming buds here...

So the results are in. Michigan has made rec weed legal, and Utah and Missouri have legalized medical marijuana. Only North Dakota failed to legalize rec weed on the ballot, but they allow medical marijuana there already. So now we are up to 33 states that have legalized medical or rec weed, and recreational pot is now legal in 10 states, along with Washington, D.C. It takes 38 states to ratify an amendment to the constitution. We are now only 5 away from that number.

Congrats to all those Michigan-whatever ya call them.....its too hard to keep track of 50 different groups. Congrats people of Michigan!

Michiganders and Michiganians are the two common names for them. There is some debate in state as to which is preferred. They call themselves Yoopers on the upper peninsula of Michigan.

It is amazing that Utah passed the medical marijuana measure there. Even though it passed by a slim margin and it is watered down and highly restricted. It still opens the door a crack there, and in more of the US west states (particularly Idaho, which its large LDS population). Also the Utah governor said he was going to put it into law there even if it did not pass on the ballot. The LDS church decided to back the proposal, in a 180 degree flip. I thought that Utah would be the last state to legalize weed.

Voters in several Ohio cities also approved local marijuana decriminalization measures. Several Wisconsin counties and cities strongly approved ballot questions calling for Cannabis reform. Also the newly elected Wisconsin governor supports decriminalizing rec marijuana and allowing for medical cannabis in that state. In Illinois, Democrat J.B. Pritzker won the governor's race after running on a legalize Cannabis platform. Minnesota Governor-elect Tim Walz wants to replace the current failed Cannabis policy with one that creates tax revenue for Minnesotans. In New Mexico, Michelle Lujan Grisham, the winner of the governor's race, said legalizing marijuana will bring lots of money to New Mexico’s economy. So look to NJ, OH, WI, IL, MN, and NM to be states to legalize rec weed and/or medical weed. Seems that the South is the only place left holding out now. Though Democratic primary voters in SC in June this year strongly voted in favor of legalizing marijuana for medical purposes. Also Kentucky lawmakers say that they will likely pass medical marijuana legislation there within a year.

Then? Likely the feds will be FORCED to change Cannabis from schedule 1 to a schedule 2 or 3 drug, thwarting the DEA's claim that it has no medicinal value. Which would greatly decriminalize it at the national level, and may allow banks to do business with Cannabis companies in the US. The states all want tax revenue from weed now. Greed always prevails.

My pops is from the UP. Been a long time since i have been back that way.

Yeah, my mom is from Ishpeming in the UP. Never been there myself. Been above it in Canada and just below it in Petoskey on the tip of the glove.

Some people have been asking me for specific strains of seeds from the hey days in 1970s. Particularly from SW Mexico. All I can say is that I froze the strains that I have listed above. I do not have all the SW landrace strains from Mexico (there were dozens), or the other strains of bag weed that I had before about 1977 when I started freezing seeds. Those being from places like Michoacan, Jalisco and Acapulco, Guerrero. In most cases, SW Mexico landrace strains are long extinct from their origins. In talking with people on the Spanish speaking sites, they say that the only people that have the old strains from SW Mexico are us old hippies that saved the seeds. They say the same thing about the many Colombian landrace strains. Also I cannot say that I have landrace genetics, I only have a small sample of original landrace genetics. In that you need to grow fields of landraces with males and females as they were grown in Mexico (and Colombia) to maintain the full genetic landrace line. A few of us have some original beans from SW Mexico. Far fewer of us than I thought originally, which is why I started this thread.

Anyway, my story about the history of Mexican weed (mainly from SW) Mexico goes something like this:

A Short History of Mexican Weed part 1

Soon after the Spanish conquistadors conquered the Aztecs in what is now central Mexico, they immediately started importing and exporting species of plants in the early 1500s. The Spanish Crown rapidly established trade from and to central and south America. Cortes created a monopoly on Cocoa in Europe that remains to this day. They also started importing and planting hemp in New Spain from the Philippines (called Manila Hemp) to make sailcloth and rope from. From that hemp, or from more potent strains from India grown for flowers (the actual origin of the hemp in SW Mexico is not really known, but genetic profiles point to south India) the indigenous Indios began growing Cannabis separately from the hemp plots specifically to harvest the flowers. The Indios of Central America has a very long tradition of using all kinds of plants and fungi for medicinal and psychoactive purposes, and they rapidly adapted Cannabis for that. Mainly they grew 'hemp' for the flower tops in small plots to make teas from. For that reason many strains had specific terpene profiles that are good in teas. Several Oaxacan strains had a strong mint terpene and flavor in them. I cannot smoke some of them, they are soooo minty. Most Mexican strains have more of a floral, pine and lemon terpene profile, and less myrcene and similar terpenes that would give teas an off taste.

A Short History of Mexican Weed part 2

And so thing went for at about two centuries when botanists did a survey of New Spain (now Mexico) of native plants and plants used by the indigenous populations there. Botanists asked the locals where they got the flowers for making the teas that they drank from, and they were shown small plots of hemp. So they simply recorded that the Indios were drinking teas made of hemp flowers, and that was that. No one really took any notice and no one cared. Then in 1810 after Mexico gained independence from Spain, Spain stopped subsidizing hemp growing. So hemp production in Mexico basically evaporated. Mexico did not have a sailing fleet, and the need for hemp sailcloth and rope was limited.

Marihuana did not evaporate in Mexico like hemp did after 1810 though. If anything it expanded greatly. During that time the name for Cannabis flowers was coined and evolved in Mexico as the slang term Marihuana. No one knows where or exactly when the name originated. By the late 1800s, Marijuana use had made its way north where it had transformed to being smoked rather than drunk as a tea. It became rather famous in 1910 when Pancho Villa led one of several in a series of Mexican Revolutions. He and his army were notorious for smoking weed. There was even the song written about it called, La Cocaracha, which was the name of the car that Pancho Villa drove around in, and in the song, the car smoked a lot of weed ("Marihuana que fumar"). Before, during and after that revolution, a lot of Mexicans migrated north of the border to the US, and they brought Marihuana with them to smoke. As a result of the northern marihuana migration, the temperance and prohibition movements (mainly led by churches) in the US started to take notice of marijuana (as it is spelled north of the border, as coined in English by Randolph Hearst in his newspapers) along with booze and other drugs like opium. Then the state of California outlawed marijuana in stages from 1907 through 1915. Other western states followed suit, and in 1920 Mexico outlawed marihuana and in 1927 banned the export of marihuana. Then after booze was banned and repealed in the US, marijuana was outlawed nationally in 1937 in the Marijuana Tax Act.

A Short History of Mexican Weed part 3

So, where was I? Trimming and curing this year's harvested buds is taking up a lot of my time. Oh yes. Mexico banned weed in 1920 and weed exports in 1927. At that time global pressure had been mounting against weed. Many people now attribute the banning of marihuana in Mexico as mainly being due to American influence, but that was not the reason. Latin America was on a roll to ban weed before the US did, and mainly due to their own internal political views. If anything, Mexico was more influential in the US banning weed than the other way around. In Mexico a century ago, the people with political power considered marihuana as a hard drug. The press was full of stores about the evil weed. It was demonized. More so that in the US actually, until the article called Marijuana, Assassin of Youth was published in the US in 1937. Police reports in Mexico City attributed the cause of murders to smoking weed. At the same time some medical research was done in Panama where they concluded that the negative effects and influence of marijuana were being greatly exaggerated. But they were ignored for the most part. At any rate, Mexico banned weed pretty much on their own.

In Mexico the banning of weed was controversial. One the one side you had scientists and newspapers publishing that it made people mad and crazy. The flip side was that the indigenous populations revered psychotropic drugs. That goes back to the era before the Aztecs to very early civilizations in Mexico. The Spanish recorded early on that the native central American tribes used hundreds of plants for different medical uses mixed with supernatural and spiritual use. The local population figured out Cannabis rapidly and had adopted it into their repertoire of plants used for medicinal and spiritual purposes. For a long time they had kept Cannabis use on the back burner, as the Catholic Church had and still has a very negative view toward the use of marijuana. It was only after it had started being smoked and associated with prisoners and the army in the later 1800s in Northern Mexico that it started to get a bad reputation in Mexico. Before that Cannabis had been grown for flower tops throughout SW Mexico for centuries. And so Cannabis flower use went virtually unnoticed and unrecorded for centuries in Mexico between 1525 and the 1880s. Then things heated up against its use there.

A Short History of Mexican Weed part 4

So the dichotomy existed between the law which banned weed and the use of weed in Mexico. The locals continued to grow and use Cannabis, especially in the SW of Mexico in Guerrero, Michoacan and Oaxaca, and in northern states like Zacatecas. In those places many 'landraces' had been established growing weed in small isolated areas for so many years. In Oaxaca, mint terpenes were common as they used it in teas. In Zacatecas, tall purple strongly psychotropic strains were common. In an odd twist, the FDA in the US now wants to ban menthol cigarettes because they attribute the mint flavor as attracting young people to smoking cigarettes. Tobacco is replacing Cannabis as the evil weed now it seems? Like with Cannabis, the banning and use of other drugs were actually openly tolerated in Mexico as medicine. My father used to give tours of Mexico City when he got out of the Navy just after WWII. He had lots of photos of the canals and flowers and pharmacies there. In front of the pharmacies at that time were stacks and stacks of plastic cased heroin and morphine kits from France, complete with tourniquets, syringes and dope. Heroin was also outlawed, but sold openly in markets in Mexico and medicine. The culture in Mexico was anti drug officially, but drug use there continued. In the 1970s it was very easy for me to get any kind of opiates at the pharmacies in Mexico. I would just walk in and ask for Percodan, and they gave me a plastic ribbon of them, for maybe 50 pesos. No Rx required. I used to go to Tijuana when I lived in San Diego and get asthma inhalers for $2.50 each, no Rx needed. They were $25 here and I needed an Rx for them. They were top grade, made in Germany.

Growing marijuana increased in Mexico after it was banned there in the 1920s, mainly for export to the US. Marijuana use in the US was popular during the roaring 20s, especially in the Southern cities. Before the US pot prohibition, weed was not commonly grown here. It came here mainly from Mexico. In the US after 1937 it went underground. It was popular in the US cites like New Orleans and San Francisco. The jazz culture became big during WWII. In an odd quirk, during WWII, growing hemp was a requirement for many US farmers by law. So people could actually get away with growing Cannabis here during the war. Cannabis became a localized weedy plant as a result in many parts of the US Midwest. It was low grade hemp and gave you a headache if you smoked it. But most people mistakenly smoked the fan leaves from that weed growing in ditches. Hence the name "ditch weed" which was bunk. But weed popularity continued to increased in the US after WWII, and so did Mexican weed farming. Weed interception was a top priority for customs agents at the US-Mexico border in the later 1940s. More weed was busted there than anywhere else in the US. By 1950, the beatnik generation in San Francisco picked up on smoking the herb, and musicians continued to use it throughout the US. Inner city use increased as well, especially amung blacks. The beatnik generation gave way to the rock and roll hippie counterculture movement in the early 1960s, and the real Mexican weed boom was on. The weed scene was just getting warmed up in California and elsewhere at that time.

A Short History of Mexican Weed part 4
Like with Cannabis, the banning and use of other drugs were actually openly tolerated in Mexico as medicine. My father used to give tours of Mexico City when he got out of the Navy just after WWII. He had lots of photos of the canals and flowers and pharmacies there. In front of the pharmacies at that time were stacks and stacks of plastic cased heroin and morphine kits from France, complete with tourniquets, syringes and dope. Heroin was also outlawed, but sold openly in markets in Mexico and medicine. The culture in Mexico was anti drug officially, but drug use there continued. In the 1970s it was very easy for me to get any kind of opiates at the pharmacies in Mexico. I would just walk in and ask for Percodan, and they gave me a plastic ribbon of them, for maybe 50 pesos. No Rx required. I used to go to Tijuana when I lived in San Diego and get asthma inhalers for $2.50 each, no Rx needed. They were $25 here and I needed an Rx for them. They were top grade, made in Germany.
That brings back some scratch n sniff memories from my misspent youth. Growing up in the SW, we'd pile into cars in our teens & drive several hours down to Mex along the Sea of Cortez for mindless beach weekends, which not included lots of beer that easy to procure, even underage, with a bit of narcotics mixed in--cough syrup with codeine was easy to buy over the counter in Mexican pharmacies. Together with the beer, it packed a considerable wallop...and yes, that buzz mixture could've been dangerous, just like a lot of the other stupid stuff that some of us survived.

Went to college about 40 mi from the border. A good friend was asthmatic & would go down about every month to buy pharmaceutical inhalers in farmacias due to the vast per unit savings, as you mention.

But the inhalers weren't relatively cheap compared to the US because of Mexican laxity. It was because as corrupt as Mexico could be they weren't as completely corrupted by big pharma as the US. But no place is...pharmaceuticals are & were more expensive in the US than almost anywhere in the world.

Really tough to beat the US for complete capitulation to moneyed cartels.

Really tough to beat the US for complete capitulation to moneyed cartels.

Indeed! The US government barred Medicare from negotiating prices of pharmaceutical drugs with BIG Pharma. BIG Pharma is also a big reason that weed remains illegal at the federal level. Cannot have people smoking, using topicals made from and eating weed instead of taking billions of dollars worth of their spendy products now, can we?

Im sure there are board meetings at Monsanto and others where anplan is being hatched to control the genetics in this wonderful market.

Ah, it goes beyond that. Corona brewing has $4 BILLION invested already, and other big beverage companies have a vested interest. Also tobacco companies like Imperial and Alliance One International have invested serious money. Then there is BIG Pharma... like Bayer. My read is that pre-rolled and oil for cartridges will dominate the market, and be brand driven off the shelf products like smokes and pens are today. Also blended beverages will be available in 6-packs in the coolers at stores. Loose weed? Likely small market. Web sites like this? Extinct. Seed companies? Also extinct. Well, maybe some niche seed markets will survive in lagging to legalize markets like Oz and the EU. I mean like, who grows their own tobacco?

Ah, it goes beyond that. Corona brewing has $4 BILLION invested already, and other big beverage companies have a vested interest. Also tobacco companies like Imperial and Alliance One International have invested serious money. Then there is BIG Pharma... like Bayer. My read is that pre-rolled and oil for cartridges will dominate the market, and be brand driven off the shelf products like smokes and pens are today. Also blended beverages will be available in 6-packs in the coolers at stores. Loose weed? Likely small market. Web sites like this? Extinct. Seed companies? Also extinct. Well, maybe some niche seed markets will survive in lagging to legalize markets like Oz and the EU. I mean like, who grows their own tobacco?
I agree with a lot of yr points. but I think a fair amount of folks are going to continue to grow their own. No doubt that few grow tobacco anymore, but a fair amount of folks still grow their own tomatoes...because they're better what they can buy.

I think this'll continue w/ weed, although it's likely to be a small part of the total supply.

But more to the point, commercialism & consolidation ruins almost everything...

Well, we shall see! Most states that I have been to where weed is legal are now SWAMPED with product. Also most of it is old, or crap. Top shelf is still commanding $200-300 an oz. in some stores. I grow better weed than I can buy. But I am spoiled, I can grow plants, I have a large seed collection, and I have a license to grow.

Back
Top Bottom