Original source seeds from the 70's: Yes I have some

Some more observations on freezing Cannabis seeds and viability:

Casting about on the internet it seems that someone at some point wrote an essay on why freezing Cannabis seeds is a bad idea. That essay has been picked up and repeated ad nauseam. The claim is that ice forms and wreaks seeds, or freezing weakens the seeds. However, that flies in the face of simple observations of Cannabis growing wild around the globe. It also has been debunked by the likes of myself and others who have frozen seeds and planted them over many years with great success. The paradigm seems to persist though, regardless of these results and simple observations (as seen above in this thread).

Looking at 3 different examples around the world of 3 different 'species' of Cannabis; indica, ruderalis, and sativa, there are many places were these three species are not only exposed variably and cyclically to sub freezing temperatures year in and year out, but the Cannabis in these areas have become invasive or native, and thrive and grow as weeds, despite freezing temperatures that would certainly cause all the wild Cannabis seeds to be frozen and thawed (multiple times) before they sprout.

The first location is in northern Tajikistan, where a strain of Cannabis indica grows wild in the Sughd Province. That area gets sub freezing temperatures from November through March, and average lows there Dec. through Feb. are 25 degrees F. and extreme lows there in January are as low as -10 degrees F. So the seeds of all the weeds Cannabis there are frozen and thawed in cycles, and they sprout in spring and grow.

The next location is Irkutsk, Russia, which is in Siberia where Cannabis ruderalis grows wild and is indigenous. Irkutsk has an average low temp. in winter of -15 degrees F., and an average high temp in winter of 8 F. So the wild Cannabis seeds there freeze and thaw, and in the late spring, they sprout and thrive.

And the final location is here in our own backyard in Nebraska, where Cannabis sativa has escaped cultivation (grown in the US until 1937 and again during WWII). In Nebraska, Cannabis grows wild and thrives. Nebraska average lows in Dec. through Feb. are in the teens F. Omaha is a balmy 24 F. right now and will not get above freezing this week. So the seeds round there are all being exposed to freezing temperatures all winter long. And like in the other cold winter locations, come spring they sprout and grow, year in and year out.

Amazing really, how this notion of not freezing MJ seeds came about. I do not know why, but it is a myth that needs some serious debunking.

BigSur,
I am restricted to growing indoors on my card. It is just as well, they would most likely get eaten by dear or stolen.

What I am looking for is two maybe three landrace sativas that are commercially available.

I have had luck getting clones of a good number of strains from a dispensary here in NM and have about a dozen strains going somewhat perpetual. The trouble is it is over 250 miles away. It is also first come, first served, take what is offered. They are not likely to have anything that needs extra care or takes too long to finish.

One you mentioned is Blue Dream. I had it for about two years, lost the strain for a while and scored another clone this year. I did get two Girl Scout Cookies clones the last trip. The bud they were selling is top shelf, testing at 22 to 25%.

With my setup I can grow more than I need when I am not doing something stupid like transplanting into a pot of compost. So I really don't mind long flowering times.

Thanks for the replies.
Best

I was told by a grower that GSC was not so easy to grow. So I opted for Ghost OG instead. Clones go really fast here as well at MMJ stores where they are sold. Rec weed is not legal to grow in WA like it is in Oregon, so they come here in droves with or without MMJ cards to buy up all the plants. I have to jump on strains that I am looking for here, or they get sold out fast. Around here no one sells landrace strains except indicas which are typically Afghan and so called "Kush" strains. The strains sold here are predominantly newer ones, like Gorilla Glue, Obama, Blue Dream, GSC, Strawberry Cough, Train Wreak, as well also older heirloom clones like OG Kush (same cut as Ghost OG), Sour Diesel (same cut as Chemdog), Skunk, GDP, Blueberry and White Widow. There are so many of them I cannot keep pace. Many are the same cuts by different names, especially the heirlooms. You can buy them here at MMJ shops or online on CL.

As for sativas (or indicas), a huge problem with so called 'genetic labeling' of strains is that they are way off or highly variable when it comes to being indica or sativa. They can also be way off when it comes to parenting and genetic crossing history. White Widow and Ghost OG are both like that, varying from 75/25 to 25/75 indica/sativa. Also from what I have seen growing from heirloom seeds is that the self crossed strains like GDP here are inferior to the clones that have been going around MMJ circles. As for landrace seeds online, many strains are now extinct in their native region. Take Mexican strains for example. Most Mexican sativa MJ growers were driven out out business in the Paraquat days and after that newer seeds were introduced with indica and auto flowering genetics. Similar things happened in Colombia after the hey day dwindled when sinsemillia from NorCal took over. In places like Thailand, Malawi and Lebanon, the land race strains seem to still be available there locally. The original source seeds can be hard to get though with political instability, variable police enforcement, export/import restrictions, and underworld control of regions.

Personally I have never bought MJ seeds online or anywhere else. I have traded for some of them though. I was lucky in that in the 1970's seeds were deliberately sold with MJ except for sinsemillia and ganja. I was able to build up a stash of various landrace strains from the better weed that I bought and smoked at that time. Buying online you have to hope that the source seeds are what the seller says they are. Of course the same thing was true when buying weed in the 1970s. The source was said to be this or that, but you could rarely be 100% sure. Many landrace seeds are sold online, but most have been crossed, like Reeferman's Lebanese. That has been crossed with a California hybrid indica. Over on the Landrace 101 on 420 thread they have listed some land race seed strains and sellers that may be the real deal. I cannot recommend any though. Off hand if I could have any landrace seeds or clones that I wanted? My preference in sativas would be for original south India (ganja), Panama Red, early thin stick Thai, Cambodian Red, Colombian highland green (Punta Roja), Guerreran Mexican, Acapulco gold, Colombia gold (Santa Marta), and old world Brazilian. Of these, I have a few types. The only indica landraces that I would want would be Labanese hash strains and Afghani. I can get gobs of Afghani landraces here as clones pretty cheap.

Note that I am not looking for or desiring 20%+ THC weed though. Two or even three hit weed is what I am after. I am also more into cerebral highs, rather than narcotic couch lock results. Which is why so many sativas are on my list. I smoked some of my best Mendocino indica tops today and I had to take a nap after that. I want a 10-15% THC and 10-12% CBD weed, which is why I am looking for Lebanese landrace seeds. Something more mellow to give me a good high and good pain relief.

Well, after that major unwanted interruption, I will continue. Note that I am not selling seeds here, nor is this an ad for my seeds. This is just my catalog of what I have saved over the years. I may supply these seeds to a MJ research center here in Oregon after they ramp up and after they sign an agreement not to introduce any of my seed strains or crosses made with them w/o my prior approval. I may at some point in future make these strains available as laws change or if I can figure out a legal way to distribute them. And yes, they are frozen and viable seeds, regardless of what certain people think.

Oh the good old days and the great memories from them, Columbian Gold, Panama Red, and so many more what great times when you could get a four finger ounce for ten dollars, or a joint for fifty cents.:high-five:

My landrace/heirloom MJ seed catalog (cont.):

Seed pack #15
B+ 4 stars
Gold tops
Colombia
March, 1978
$40/oz., 410/lb.
More seeds from Colombian loose tops. My notes on it are that it has a good high but not too stony (no narco couch lock). Moderately seedy, about 50 per oz.

Seed pack #16
A 5 stars
Green and gold bricked tops
Colombia
(no month) 1978
$40-60/oz.
These are from a lot of Colombian green and gold tops that were going around early that year. Likely Colombian highland weed, it had a real kick to it but not knock you out. Moderately seedy, about 50 per oz.

Seed pack #17
A+++ 5 stars
Red/gold bricked tops
Colombia
September, 1978
$135/quarter lb.
One of my prized seeds in my collection. This is Colombian lowland red. It has a really good sativa buzz to it, unlike the bricked brown narcotic Colombian weed. Likely the same as Panama Red, grown just south of there in Colombia. Moderately seedy, about 50 per oz.

Well, I see no point in posting on this forum any more, or finishing this thread out. It is a waste of my time. The powers that be want to edit things to suit themselves here, after other people have waded in to challenge me showing off their complete ignorance about kryo science and the facts. Sad that. There are other MJ forums out there where I may migrate to. Or I may just start a site for professional growers for rec and medical weed now that it is legal in a lot more places, including here in Oregon.

Hasta la vista...

Well, I see no point in posting on this forum any more, or finishing this thread out. It is a waste of my time. The powers that be want to edit things to suit themselves here, after other people have waded in to challenge me showing off their complete ignorance about kryo science and the facts. Sad that. There are other MJ forums out there where I may migrate to. Or I may just start a site for professional growers for rec and medical weed now that it is legal in a lot more places, including here in Oregon.

Hasta la vista...
Enjoyed your posts, sad to see you leave but I wish you luck, and I hope you find something to do with then seeds cause you are right just about anyone will try to strike it big with them, they don't care about the mmj just about the money.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using 420

Hasta la vista...

I was a lurker on the site. I have read every word that you have wrote. I really enjoyed the recounting of all the history and discussions of geography and genetics. I would check the site a few times a day just to see if you had posted anything new, made my day. I set up an account just to say thanks.

I hope you keep growing and preserve your genetics.

Perhaps somebody can come up with a General Public License for some of your strains like they do for software? That way they could spread like Linux rather than create a Microsoft.

People could grow and breed, but new resulting strains would become public domain and only given away rather than sold. By using your seed or any derivative they would accept the terms of the license and the big money could not come in.

I don't really know what they edited, man. Would you elaborate? But if you are really leaving, it's a damn shame!

Frozen seeds won`t germinate. Thats the truth... the fact they`re 35 years old makes me wonder just reliable they`ll be..

You do realize how ignorant this sounds right? Frozen seeds germinate every spring in roughly half the world...you know, everywhere it freezes in the winter...

Sooooooo........ I found this thread today and have been reading through it, liking posts etc...only to find it abandoned and incomplete. And just a couple weeks ago? What happened admins? Anyone from the 420 office crew want to weigh in and tell us why this contributor says he was edited and felt it was so serious he had to leave the site?

Does anyone have any info on this? I was about to retell stories my dad used to tell (and still does whenever I show him my newest crop) about the killer buds he used to get in Miami all through the '70's...and the crazy NE skunk his buddies grew in Hashachusetts all through the '80's (yes, that bud...) the one people still remember coming out of New England that made you sick from the smell and some people wouldn't smoke it it was so gross smelling, probably the early OG phenos that Chem and Res eventually got a hold of on lot.

BigSur says mods removed or edited some of his posts. Which ones I really don't know, but he claims it's due to argument about frozen seeds. He wasn't banned though.

Back
Top Bottom