Outdoor Garden Jamaica 2016

Sounds to me that you have some experience with growing in Costa Rica? Any tips or pointers with growing in this climate/latitude?

I married a Jamaican, so for me I got my residency via marriage, but I'm guessing via real estate might be easier haha if the resources are there.

As I am waiting on my new seeds to arrive, I ran into a friend who got some seeds from a musician who just came from Europe. 2 x white widow 3.0 seeds and 2 x magnum gom auto seeds. I also still had a Silver Haze, which didn't crack, I added this seed as well to see if it might crack this time. I germinate in cotton and moisten the cotton, lay the seed in the cotton and put another thin layer on top. Then I cover the dish with plastic wrap and make holes in them for air to still pass through. The wrap is to keep it moist longer. With this method I usually get at least 8/10 which crack and germinate.

image36318.jpg

I will also post this entire grow in this journal. I don't have a clue from which seed company they come from, or if they are feminized, so I will pay close attention and hope for the best.

Here is a quick update on how the flowering is progressing. This is I guess the best developed branch so far, this is the 50/50 sativa/indica NY Diesel. It has been on 12/12 outside light cycle for 2 weeks exactly. Since this is my first grow ever (and I've only seen friends grow inside) I have no idea if it's going good or not, it looks healthy to me...

image36319.jpg

You`re doing great... The land is fertile and it shows how healthy your plants are......I would cut the bottom leaves off. I can`t wait for you to tell give us a taste report. I would start using compost such as banana peels,egg shells, etc to make the ground more fertile, also, any dry straw or pond fronds should be placed around the plant... I would also suggest pure Coconut Water as a NUTE every once and awhile. The plants will love that..

You`re doing great... The land is fertile and it shows how healthy your plants are......I would cut the bottom leaves off. I can`t wait for you to tell give us a taste report. I would start using compost such as banana peels,egg shells, etc to make the ground more fertile, also, any dry straw or pond fronds should be placed around the plant... I would also suggest pure Coconut Water as a NUTE every once and awhile. The plants will love that..

I put a small layer of compost in the ground already back when I was preparing the land, I do feel I could use more. Would you recommend digging the peels in the ground or just putting them on top of the soil? Pure coconut water is a great idea!! Should I dilute the coconut water or just give it to them straight from the nut? I will also try to cover it with some straw or something, do you think dried sugar cane leaves would be a good alternative, I have loads of that!

I would place the peels around the plant on the outside, no need to dig. I dilute the CC water using 60(W) and 40 (CC)... Dried Sugar cane leaves is outstanding. Tell me, do you BBQ with charcoal and wood? I like to dig a hole and pour the remains in the ground and let it sit for a few months or so, so, by the time, i plan another grow, i know the ground is well fertilized....

Last week has been a busy week at work, but the plants don't seem to need much attention in this phase. They seem to need/like a lot more water then what they used too though, I also added some dried Cane leaves on top of the soil.

The 2 Widow 3.0 seeds came out and I put them in a small 1L pot. One of them only just cracked and had maybe only 2mm of root, but I was leaving for 2 days and wanted to plant them before I would go.

Photo update:

image36377.jpg
image36376.jpg
image36375.jpg
image36374.jpg
image36373.jpg
image36372.jpg

Very healthy and very impressive....Love your mulch. Throw some banana, and orange peels around them as well.. I use a 75/25 Water/ Coconut water solution when watering as well.. Any manure around? You`re going to have some yield....:) Also, add some perlite into those pots... Keeps everything nice and airy.....

Recently I have seen a few things happening to the leaves of my plants, I'm not exactly sure what it is or what I can do about it. I'm going to post a few pictures and see if I can get some useful advice.

Here you see the tip of the leaves turning white or the tip dies and curls up. They have been growing fine and completely green since I put them in the holes to flower which is about 3 weeks ago.
image36407.jpg

Here you see the little brown hole where a small bud was located. It turned brown/orange and when I touched it it came off immediately.
image36405.jpg

Here you see my Jack Herer where one side of the leaves are turning yellow and start dying.
image36402.jpg

Any advice is appreciated!

Furthermore....
Since leaves we're being eaten, and I have spotted a small caterpillar I figured That it must be the caterpillar eating them. So today I grabbed some Neem-oil and some organic soap and drench the soil. Before doing this I gave them about 0.75L of 25/75 coconut water/water mix. Let's hope it keeps any slugs and caterpillars away, has anybody experience with neem oil ?
image36426.jpg

Very healthy and very impressive....Love your mulch. Throw some banana, and orange peels around them as well.. I use a 75/25 Water/ Coconut water solution when watering as well.. Any manure around? You`re going to have some yield....:) Also, add some perlite into those pots... Keeps everything nice and airy.....

Before I could put some perlite in the pots disaster happened. They just both got their baby leaves and then I woke up in the morning and it was gone. My guess is that one of our dogs somehow found his way up and ate off the top of the stems, including the baby leaves.... But I will definitely use some more perlite with my next seeds! Thanks

About the manure, do you suggest I throw it on top of the soil underneath the cane leaves? Or should I kinda dig it in the soil?

A quick photo update
NY Diesel, trichinae start to show real nice
image36404.jpg

NY Diesel, main cola is about 20cm long at the moment.
image36403.jpg

Jack Herer, topped once when young.
image36376.jpg

You're getting her overdosed on macronutrients and it manifests as deficiency. Manure is too rich for cannabis especially in combination with bottled nutes.

And one more thing do not put more ferts in there if you want my advice unless you want your problems to get more advanced. She's a small plant and already has problems eating up everything there is around her roots. Just let her grow!

You're getting her overdosed on macronutrients and it manifests as deficiency. Manure is too rich for cannabis especially in combination with bottled nutes.

I have done numerous outdoor grows and manure works like magic around a MJ plant. The plant is fine, and will heal by itself,because thats what plants do when planted in fertile ground. The roots continue to grow deep and survive. I do agree bottled NUTES when growing outdoors is a waste of time....

So did I, but I never used manure. Considering that he already has a lot of compost + manure in the mix, and the plant is way too small to use that up I'd consider laying it off. The only thing I'd add now is calcium and magnesium, which seems to be lacking as it often does in flowering. Plant most likely got its roots to native soil, and she cannot tap into the reserves. That might be microbiota problem, she doesn't have enough help underground to absorb what is needed. Quick inoculation with fresh ACT or powdered inoculant might solve this.

So did I, but I never used manure. Considering that he already has a lot of compost + manure in the mix, and the plant is way too small to use that up I'd consider laying it off. The only thing I'd add now is calcium and magnesium, which seems to be lacking as it often does in flowering. Plant most likely got its roots to native soil, and she cannot tap into the reserves. That might be microbiota problem, she doesn't have enough help underground to absorb what is needed. Quick inoculation with fresh ACT or powdered inoculant might solve this.

The plant looks good and trimming the bottom leaves and adding 1tsp of cal/mag might not be a bad idea, but, with the type of soil he`s growing in, i would simply leave well enough alone and see what Mother Nature does in healing herself. The plant is flowering and you`re right, i would have planted this baby differently in a more fertile soil, mixed with perlite. NY DIESEL, doesn`t require direct sunlight and i believe thats the issue...As for manure, I`ve planted Outdoors, placing fish heads and manure in the soil and never worried abt Nute issues.. I still believe the plants will come out fine, however, next time i would look at strains more suitable to the climate, which is always wise to research... I believe he`s a beginner, and i`m positive, he`s going to continue experimenting with many other strains, i know if i lived close to the equator like he does, i surely would..LOL
BTW: conradino23 . Loved your sativa grow... From what i saw in the pics you soil is very rich in nutes....

The plant looks good and trimming the bottom leaves and adding 1tsp of cal/mag might not be a bad idea, but, with the type of soil he`s growing in, i would simply leave well enough alone and see what Mother Nature does in healing herself. The plant is flowering and you`re right, i would have planted this baby differently in a more fertile soil, mixed with perlite. NY DIESEL, doesn`t require direct sunlight and i believe thats the issue...As for manure, I`ve planted Outdoors, placing fish heads and manure in the soil and never worried abt Nute issues.. I still believe the plants will come out fine, however, next time i would look at strains more suitable to the climate, which is always wise to research... I believe he`s a beginner, and i`m positive, he`s going to continue experimenting with many other strains, i know if i lived close to the equator like he does, i surely would..LOL
BTW: conradino23 . Loved your sativa grow... From what i saw in the pics you soil is very rich in nutes....
It is, so I just work on getting calcium/magnesium/sulfur ratio right.

Hmmm just to add then for Kingston that outdoor grower should always check type of soil he's dealing with. They are all very different and have different qualities. I've just read that Jamaican land is very eroded due to coffee and coconut cultivation. If you then sit on a property that exploited the soil you'll have to enrich it. Usually it's about getting microlife at the top layer, and about getting micronutrients right.

Hey sejd, thanks for joining again. I'm having a difficult time trying to find cal/mag here in Jamaica, I might have to ask somebody to bring it down for me.

As far as the soil, what kind of mix would you recommend ?

It is my first grow, so a lot is still to be learned. I actually have some seeds coming my way soon. Desfran, Strawberry Cough, Forest Dream, Ultra Skunk, Master Kush, Trance and CBD SkunkHaze. All seeds will be from Dutch Passion. So I am very busy with this grow documenting all the things I do. I am trying to create a database that will help me to keep track of what works good and what not, this is crucial since I have never grown before. I am very excited, and can't wait to grow beautiful plants :D also I will pay extra attention to the CBD plant and to his healing aspects.

Back
Top Bottom