Outdoor Grow Up North?

Nedhead

Hi All,

So, I am nearing the end of my first indoor grow so naturally I am planning my next one. I think I would like to attempt an outdoor grow but geographically I have some challenges and could use some advice.

Challenges:
-I'm in central Alberta which means generally speaking we can get frost up until June. This leaves me with a growing season of about 12-14 weeks. It can be longer but there is a high certainty of no frost during that time frame.
-I won't hit a 12/12 sunlight/darkness cycle during that time frame which means that flowering can't occur while it is still warm and guaranteed to be frost free
-We usually get at least a few hail storms each summer. Some of them can be damaging (we had one a few years ago which caused me to file an insurance claim for new siding and a new roof)
-Squirrels

Pros
-We get tons of sun. It is still fairly light at 11pm at the height of summer.
-It's legal in Canada now so I don't have to hide anything
-Neighbors are not an issue.
-I do have an awning I can move the plant under during inclement weather.

My biggest challenge I think is the short growing window so I was thinking of starting indoors in 7 gallon fabric pots prior to June and then moving them outdoors for the summer and then indoors for 12/12 under the lights when it is time for flower. Is this a valid strategy? I really would like to compare an outdoor grow with an indoor grow. I anticipate a larger yield (much larger?) from an outdoor grow.

Another question about outdoor grows.. Given that they receive natural light and rain would I still water with nutes? I can't deliver nutes when it rains so do I just give nutes when manually watering if that's the case?

As always I look forward to absorbing some of your knowledge!!

It can be a real hassle moving the plants out of a storm's path. Consider large tomato cages to support the branches. Dollies with wheels large enough to move over the ground are probably a good idea. You could mount plant supports on the dolly, rather than the pots. If you want, you could cover the pot to keep the rain out. Just let the plant grow out of a hole in the middle of it. That would leave you in control of feeding and watering them.

Autoflowering plants are probably your best bet for a first outdoor grow.

I'm in central Alberta which means generally speaking we can get frost up until June. This leaves me with a growing season of about 12-14 weeks. It can be longer but there is a high certainty of no frost during that time frame.
You can start them inside under lights for the first month, and them take them outside.
I won't hit a 12/12 sunlight/darkness cycle during that time frame which means that flowering can't occur while it is still warm and guaranteed to be frost free
Your plants will think it is 12/12 sooner than the almanac says...usually because they angle and intensity will change. I am @ 44"N and my plants flower 2-3 weeks before "12/12"
I was thinking of starting indoors in 7 gallon fabric pots prior to June and then moving them outdoors for the summer
Starting Indoors...good idea. Look into bigger pots...more like 15-20g. More soil will allow more moisture retention=bigger root ball= bigger plant= bigger yield.
then indoors for 12/12 under the lights when it is time for flower
Starting inside and finishing outside is still a legit "outdoor grow". Bringing them in for flower is not...plus, they will be BIG and you will need/want them to flower under sunlight :cool:
Given that they receive natural light and rain would I still water with nutes?
Depends on your soil...but there isn't anything holding you back from adding additional nutrients. I use a diluted fish fertilizer every third watering towards the end because by then the plant has depleted much of the soils nutrients.

And last...start a journal so we can all follow your progress :)

:goodluck:

Starting indoors then moving outside can be done but they will get sunburn, and they may get shocked hard depending on many factors.

You dont need 12/12 to flower. Nearly all strains start flowering at 14 hours of light aka 10 hours or more of darkness.

Any specific questions feel free to pm me. Ive grown a nug or two in my days

Back
Top Bottom