Perlite on bottom of pots?

ilikebike

if perlite is used for aeration and drainage would it be beneficial to my plants to line the bottom of the pots with say half inch of perlite to help with drainage? i know there's probably other things i could use but i have extra perlite around here it seems like it would work, any one have any thoughts? my only flaw would be it would spill out the holes on the bottom of the pots but im sure i could get some kind of netting to hold it in. what are your thoughts?:peace:

It wouldn't hurt, but I'm not sure if it would beneficial either. I guess if it stayed somewhat damp the roots would like the environment. What would be similar to a "hempy" type of grow. If it dried out (the perlite) the roots would just prune off like it's the bottom of the pot.

It would definitely add drainage to the bottom part of the pot though. My humble opinion would be to add the extra into the soil mix.

That PPP you have going looks VERY nice! I just skimmed some of your latest pics, subbed to the journal so I can give it a look when I have some time. I've read that's a very nice strain to grow. Good job!

Hey there ilikebike,

I use about an inch on the bottom of mine. I use a piece of nylon window screen to block the hole. Haven't had any problems so far.

DocBud recommends using a wick to aid drainage and help the perched water table. I might give that a try this time.

I had always used perlite or something on the bottom (moss,stone), roots would really wrap into the perlite. Mandala says not to use perlite as the roots wrapped in perlite tend to dry too quickly, use medium to bottom of pot, Doing so this grow and results look great.

I used a 2-3 " layer of perlite on half of my plants last batch in 5 gallon buckets. I will continue to use this practice because when I removed the root balls to compare, the ones with out the layer of perlite had the roots wrapping the container, exactly how the airpots & smart pots claim they will prevent because it is inefficient. The ones WITH the layer of perlite had a far superior root mass and had no signs of root wrapping with many root tips in sight

hey why not add an equal mix with perlite & vermculite(not ness) with a sprinkling of perlite on base of plant to take c02 down to roots,i also use a normal green scourier (without sponge) to cover drainage holes to stop soil falling out but still drains water & ok in tray too,no tuf rocks on roots.Ive seen pix of a small res made from lucasade bottle hung with wick or rope leading to pot half way up.Only an idea,anyone got a good soil feed schedule e.g biobizz bio veg/bloom & top max,help!

cypress im jumping on the 2L hempy wagon. Gonna do a 75/25 Perlite/Vermiculite mix in 2L bottles (with tops cut off of course) and (2) 1/4'' holes about 2 1/8'' from the bottom of the bottle, so that the bottom will act as a reservoir and the vermiculite helps 'wick' the water from the bottom up to the roots. Looks really cool cant wait to start it, im saving up all my bottles right now.

hey why not add an equal mix with perlite & vermculite(not ness) with a sprinkling of perlite on base of plant to take c02 down to roots,

Just to make sure you meant O2 to the roots and not CO2. Plants uptake CO2 through the leaves. I didn't want there to be confusion, I'm sure it was a typo, but new growers may not know the difference.

Back
Top Bottom