Pest Problem(I think) Any ideas?

Arsenal420

The plants are both 1 month old and are looking pretty healthy. I just mixed up an organic blend from a recipe (thanks Danny Danko) and I transplanted them to their final pots (5 gal w/holes). With a lil help from super thrive they turned out just fine. In fact they are looking extremly happy, Untill 2 days ago i was out and a freak thunder storm caught them out in the backyard uncoverd. They seemed fine but the next day bam my Crunk Kush looks like it was feasted on by something. The same problem had hit my sative blend a few weeks before but disapeared for no reason. I'm growing outdoor in a truly Southeastern hot sunny humid atmosphere. I plan on forcing flowering by bringing them in @ night a month or so from now. Heres a few pics to show damage done the first 3 are of the kush and the last shows the last damage it did to my sativa. (the sativa seems fine now) I went ahead and sprayd with the homemade blend(awsome post) just to be safe.

downsized_0627091400a.jpg

downsized_0627091400.jpg

downsized_0627091359.jpg

downsized_0627091401.jpg

The 3rd pic shows wut i thought to be spider mite dots but I haven't seen and webs or mites. The white dots are present on a few leaves and have lead to me pinching off more than a few tips of fan leaves. As I said the Sativa showed this problem first and has since showed less and less of it,and only after this storm did the kush begin to show it, rather aggresively. Other than this both plants are doing quite good. As a first time grower I'd appreciate any ideas :thanks:

I followed the directions on the forum, the pics are in my member gallery and everything but they didnt work. damn!:roorrip: hold on let me try again

Yea i was looking at it as i was writing my post, I just wasnt sure because of the combo of the two. DAMN. I'm glad I was proactive and already used the homemade pesticide.
Since theres a combo of bugs should i go for something a little more powerful than the homemade ? Shit shit shit, i've got work to do.

These creatures are persistant, but not really a huge deal. The leaf miners will do the worst, but you can knock them out easily with many off the shelf cures. I, personally, use Neem oil. The mites will take a bit longer to chase, but they don't do horrible damage.

These are really common critters. I'm sure you'll run into them often. I hear tell that using "sterilized" soil will cut down on the aphids. I just chase them with chemicals.

Cheers

Awsome thanks for the advice, yea went ahead and cut off the leaves that looked the worst, and trimmed the ones that looked decent enough to keep. I had meant to get neem oil with the rest of my supplies but forgot. thanks again :roorrip::thanks:

tead ; Yea I know bout the photoperiod. I was planning on just bringing them inside @ 6:30-700 every night since sunrise is round 6:30ish. Also I kinda figured this would stress the plant a little. I thought maybe the garage being dark and not haveing a/c blowing cold air into it would be a easier transition every night.

This isn't really my idea for a good grow, its just the curcimstance's I'm stuck with. My mother's moved in with me(damn how times have changed) and she's fine with me doing what I will at my place but having an indoor garden freaks her out.(she watches the news too much) For some reason a couple plants in the backyard shes fine with she'll even help. As soon as I mention lights(of any kind) she tells me I'll do 5-10 and yada yada. I love her too much to make her worry that much.

The indoor flowering was kinda of a way to prevent them from growing 6 feet tall and peaking over the fence. Do you think I'd be better off just pruning and anchoring it and let them grow their full cycle?

It's my first grow but I've been waiting for some time to start, the Crunk Kush seed was found in a bag of mine along with a couple other seeds. The seeds looked healthy and the bud was sugary and well built and cured well. My bud man said the guy had let 1 male get through or something because of his large amount he got bout 30 seeds.
I worry that it might have a hermie. trait so I'm keeping my eye on it. The other seed was one that I saved from a few months back that was all by itself in a bag so it must have been good for me to remember to keep it. Damn your list is like 3 outta top five favorite bud's, I've never tried Ice (the bud or the other shit eww). Did you get yours from a seed bank ? I've always been a collector of those 1 seeds you find in good bag.

Oh yea after the home made pesticide and some pruning everything seems fine today. No new dead areas, no new white spots from spider mites, and I've got neem oil coming in the mail in a day or 2. :roorrip:

So, I'll share the beginning of that conversation so that any future thread readers are not confused....

Tead (the Awesome One) said...

"
So, I was curious as to the strain you're growing... and I saw this....

"I'm growing outdoor in a truly Southeastern hot sunny humid atmosphere. I plan on forcing flowering by bringing them in @ night a month or so from now."

I don't understand how bringing them in at night will force flowering. Not only that, but changing their enviroment every night will cause lots of issues.

In light controlled grows, you trigger flowering by shortening the light cycle (a.k.a. the "photoperiod").

I don't understand how bringing them in when the sun goes down will trigger blooming. You're not changing their light cycle. You might be able to trigger it by bringing them in before the sun goes down, but this isn't going to work out well for you.

I used to live in Birmingham AL. I had a big front porch with lots of flowers growing in pots. Every year when the weather changed, I'd drag the plants inside and distribute them inside the house (huge house). They all would almost immediately drop all their leaves. They all lived ok, but the shock every year really damaged them. I can't imagine how this would impact them on a daily basis.

Anyway... just worried. If you do decide to "Ease on Down" that road (Sorry for the random Michal Jackson reference), be sure to try it one plant at a time... maybe with a much smaller/younger plant.

So, Crunk Kush.... never heard of it. How did you get the strain? Seeds? Know anything about it? Just nosey. I grow Ice, Diesel, White Widow, and Super Silver Haze.

I bet your plants picked up the mites and miners when the leaves were in the soil during the thunderstorm. I think they both are commonly carried in the soil.

Cheers. "

---------------------------------------------------

If you're hell bent on going this route, I'd bring them in earlier. There's plenty of light this time of year that early in the morning. You'd ideally want to bring them in before the ambient sunlight became more than that of the full moon. Does that make sense?

I always top my babies before they hit flowering. A rule of thumb for estimating their final size... they'll double their height in the flowering stage. Often, I start the topping as a clone. There are some fancy methods for topping or bending your plant. They can all be very effective... I've been playing with FIM cutting lately. I'd wait on the fancy things tho... get some plants going and learn about the strain and how things work. Then, when you're comfortable and have a good stock going, start getting fancy. Same holds true with neuts. Keep it simple, and if you're near the coast, portable. Hurricanes can sure be a pain it the ass. Growing can significantly impact your evacuation plans if you plan on keeping your babies alive.

Happy the bugz are controlled. I find that a weekly application of Neem keeps things away. It's AMAZING how often I fail to follow my own damn advice.

I LOVE BAGSEED!!! My Diesel is bagseed... and it's a very sweet strain... slow, but sweet. I purchased some Ice seeds from Nirvana a while back to try in my first hydro grow. I harvested one of the plants after sticking it in soil. It was really abused, and the bud sucked. I've got a few more growing right now in soil.

Sending you anti-hermie karma...

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom