Drooping leaf tips and spider mites?

Steve7701

I'm a first time grower and trying not to panic.

I've noticed some leaves with drooping tips and some areas have some very fine webs with tiny yellow dots attached to adjacent leaves. So far this is in the bloom room only.

1. Do I have spider mites?
2. Are the leaf tips related or is this a separate problem (eg. over/under watering, overmisting, nutrient problem etc.)?
3.Are "ladybugs" effective in controlling mites or do I have to resort to chemicals ?

I tried to include a photo with this post, but it requires a URL.

I appreciate all comments.

I'm a first time grower and trying not to panic.

I've noticed some leaves with drooping tips and some areas have some very fine webs with tiny yellow dots attached to adjacent leaves. So far this is in the bloom room only.

1. Do I have spider mites?
2. Are the leaf tips related or is this a separate problem (eg. over/under watering, overmisting, nutrient problem etc.)?
3.Are "ladybugs" effective in controlling mites or do I have to resort to chemicals ?

I tried to include a photo with this post, but it requires a URL.

I appreciate all comments.

There are only 2 kinds of growers:
1. Those who have spider mites
2. Those who are about to have spider mites

I think you might be #1. Drooping tips, stippling, webs.....yep.

Please examine the underside of those leaves with a magnifying glass and you'll see dozens of round little eggs and a few mites eating, screwing and laying eggs.

Kill them all. Kill them immediately. The death of your garden, once webs are seen, is mere days away.

Thanks for the replies.
I sprayed with "FloramiteSC" and spread some ladybugs around the next day. I haven't noticed any sign of the mites since and the plants seem to have recovered.
It was my own fault -- too much humidity and not enough ventilation and air movement.
Lesson learned !!

Thanks for the replies.
I sprayed with "FloramiteSC" and spread some ladybugs around the next day. I haven't noticed any sign of the mites since and the plants seem to have recovered.
It was my own fault -- too much humidity and not enough ventilation and air movement.
Lesson learned !!

Well done. Make certain to check again in a few days. Look carefully under the most effected leaves and diligently search for any living mites.

If you see more, spray with Floramite a second time.....

But do not use it again for a year!

Two sprayings should kill all the mites....if any are left over use Azamax, Azatrol, Mite Rid....or the product mentioned 2 posts above. You can also consider getting Forbid. Between Floramite and Forbid, with neem based products in between, you should be able to deal with mites....

Just be sure to rotate products! Otherwise you'll create super-mites.

FYI, mites like warm dry conditions. The high humidity probably saved you.

The way to deal with mites is cool, damp, floramite, azatrol/azamax.

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate the input from forum members.
The Floramite instructions also say to wait one month before respraying. I've ordered a neem based product to use at that time. I'm really scared of creating a "super" mite.
When I mentioned the high humidity, I was thinking about the powdery mildew that started to show up and I was able to control.
Fortunately the plants are hearty enough to be looking pretty good so far, IN SPITE of my mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom