PH dropping daily: DWC

The Germinator

I have one bubblegum funk female.
Vegged six weeks.
Flipped to 12/12 21 days ago.
Plant looks great. No sign of any problems.
The ph is dropping to 4.4 daily. I top off daily and raise to about six. Next day back to 4.4.
I thought my pen might be off but I use the ph drop test kit and it's dark orange. Def 4.4.
I read ph drops are normal in flower. What do you all think? My ppm is around 1000. Using GH trio nutes. Changed the res 10 days ago. I haven't changed it yet because the plant looks so good. It's drinking at least one gallon daily.
Tonight I added 2ml micro 4ml bloom just in case it's needing more nutes. (Not per gallon. Total)
I plan on changing this weekend using the Lucas formula.
Any input is appreciated. In case you haven't seen my journal I will add two pics from yesterday. Thank You
420-magazine-mobile231177329.jpg
420-magazine-mobile30734976.jpg
420-magazine-mobile558703104.jpg
420-magazine-mobile5966725.jpg

Roots are awesome. Very white.
No algae at all. Water Temp never gets warm enough for algae. 64 degrees now. I have black tubing but haven't changed it cause I haven't seen a prob yet.
I use z7

I don't know everything. My opinion is just that. It's up to you to research the information offered by me or anyone else. It's not wise to act on the first opinion you get.

I have two air pumps, four stones total. I think I am pumping too much air which pumps co2. Going to unplug one pump as a test.

I don't know everything. My opinion is just that. It's up to you to research the information offered by me or anyone else. It's not wise to act on the first opinion you get.

I raised ec and my ph dropped only two tenths. 6.0 to 5.8. So they needed nutes. That 2ml of each nute helped. Will change bucket this weekend. Trying the Lucas formula.

Googled acid rain effect. Who knew? You can have too much air.

When my PH drop it means that there's too much nutrient.
I add water to raise the PH and dilute the mix.
just a thought...

nice plants btw!! :thumb:

Def not in my case. I had done a res change ten days before and had been topping off with at least a gallon of water a day so I knew my nutrients had to be getting low. That chart I posted confirmed it. I added nutes and ph stabilized. Doing a res changed tomorrow.

Its normal for the Ph to drop as the plants feed but slowly not like your experiencing.

I think your problem is your water , after water is aerated the PH drops as the Co2 leaves the water. the trapped Co2 artificially raises the PH your aeration knocks it out.

The aeration your providing is not the problem its the lack of PH up that's your problem.

I use a Silcate product which acts as a ph up so I only need to add a PH down in your circumstance of acidic water ( despite its initial reading) you should really buy some PH up and use as required.

Any and all claims or tests of aeration raises the PH are bogus , its the co2 tapped in acid water that people are flushing out.

trust me and study up on it , you cannot have too much air per gallon , I am using a 65 L min and 20 L min air pump for 22 gallons of water in a rdwc and have been having exceptional growth rates since bumping it up , with NO PH issues whats so ever. None its stable with a slight downward drift after a week

I was the last line on chart. Falling falling falling. Also says acid rain effect. I have two pumps and four stones.

I have two air pumps, four stones total. I think I am pumping too much air which pumps co2. Going to unplug one pump as a test.

I seriously doubt your four airstones could produce that much Carbonic Acid daily. Curious to see your results either way though.

I have just the opposite issue with my RDWC reservoir though. Using Heavy16 Nutrients my pH climbs enough that I add 4.5ml of pH Down every other day to a 6.5 gallon RES. This causes my pH to range from 5.7 up to 6.4 over a two day period.

Considering switching to a cheaper line-up of nutrients in the future. Maybe something like you use?

Its normal for the Ph to drop as the plants feed but slowly not like your experiencing.

I think your problem is your water , after water is aerated the PH drops as the Co2 leaves the water. the trapped Co2 artificially raises the PH your aeration knocks it out.

The aeration your providing is not the problem its the lack of PH up that's your problem.

I use a Silcate product which acts as a ph up so I only need to add a PH down in your circumstance of acidic water ( despite its initial reading) you should really buy some PH up and use as required.

Any and all claims or tests of aeration raises the PH are bogus , its the co2 tapped in acid water that people are flushing out.

trust me and study up on it , you cannot have too much air per gallon , I am using a 65 L min and 20 L min air pump for 22 gallons of water in a rdwc and have been having exceptional growth rates since bumping it up , with NO PH issues whats so ever. None its stable with a slight downward drift after a week

I have ph up. I use it daily to bring back to 6.0. It was dropping to 4.4 daily. I've already found the prob. Not enough nutes. The ph has stabilized.
Also acid rain effect is real.

When you find your right mix. You should not have to add up down or plain water. When I first started out doing dwc I was chasing the ph all the time. I was going through up and down all the time. I can not remember the last time I bought any of that. Now if it drops enough I would have to add up a day or two after a res change. I know I needed to add more nutes to begin with. I started out using GH too. I move to Botanicare Kind a few years ago and never looked back. It is much more stable. I agree with you that you are most likely pumping to much air into your bucket. The water can only hold so much DO and you are most likely are over that limit with that set up. A GH dual diaphragm air pump will run all the air you need for four buckets with one large stone each and will last for years.

I think you should do a test. Make up a new mix that is 10% Stronger then you are using now and see if it holds you ph better. If it does you will know your on the right track. Once you find the right starting mix you just have to tweak it a little as you go along your grow. Right now she should be eating a lot. Later on she will slow down.

When you find your right mix. You should not have to add up down or plain water. When I first started out doing dwc I was chasing the ph all the time. I was going through up and down all the time. I can not remember the last time I bought any of that. Now if it drops enough I would have to add up a day or two after a res change. I know I needed to add more nutes to begin with. I started out using GH too. I move to Botanicare Kind a few years ago and never looked back. It is much more stable. I agree with you that you are most likely pumping to much air into your bucket. The water can only hold so much DO and you are most likely are over that limit with that set up. A GH dual diaphragm air pump will run all the air you need for four buckets with one large stone each and will last for years.

I think you should do a test. Make up a new mix that is 10% Stronger then you are using now and see if it holds you ph better. If it does you will know your on the right track. Once you find the right starting mix you just have to tweak it a little as you go along your grow. Right now she should be eating a lot. Later on she will slow down.
what about yield and potency when you switched fro GH to botanicare is it the same or they are also better with botanicare??

I should add. Over time from testing. You can find what will keep you in the zone longer with GH. But I also did not like all the dyes then put into their mix. Botanicare Kind uses no dyes. It is a three part mix. But you only use two at a time. Base and grow or base and bloom. That with z7 is all have have used for the last four years. Very very rare that I use up or down. I know my mix is off for that plant if I am needing those. Before then I tried all kinds of stuff. Now I just KISS Keep It Simple Stupid and that is what works best for me.

Back
Top Bottom