PH Problems Consistently

Marleno

420 Member
Hello,
I'd love some input on this issue I've been having as I'm quite confused at this point.
I'm a new grower, my first grow ever was just thrown together. I just wanted to see how far I could get, and surprisingly, it went very well! Every single plant did great which is odd because I just used a cheap bag of Kellogs raised bed soil I got at home Depot for $8.
I'm much more serious about my grows now, and it's something I'm passionate and want to know everything about!
Many reccomend the fox farms soils, I tried the original in the brown bag, and I had PH problems that were severe even though I PHed my water.
I next tried the black gold seedling starter when starting my seedlings and they took off super fast! However, within a week, they were yellowing and stunted.
I'm currently trying the fox farms soil in the blue bag (sea or rainforest somethin') and seem to be having the same problems.
I doubt all of these tried and true soils are the problem. I always PH my water to a 6-6.5. I don't feed them when they're this small/young. But the PH problems present as deficiencies in my opinion, I attached some photos so please tell me if this looks like anything anyone has experienced!
Here are my only remaining theories:
- PPM. I have yet to buy a PPM meter so I'm not sure where it is at or if it could cause these issues in such small plants.
- Light wattage. I have a 600w light on the way, but I have been growing under only about 200w. Could weak lights cause this?
IMG_20191204_005954.jpg
IMG_20191210_213616.jpg

Sorry for the novel, I'm just so confused! I absolutely hate when I can't figure something out. Especially when my first grow that I winged went so well.
IMG_20191210_213625.jpg

My opinion. The fox farm ocean forest is too hot for seedlings (precharged with food) the seedling starter you said started them well her but then started failing and got stunted. Cos there's hardly any food in there. My solution. Start them in the black gold in small pots until they fill out the little pot with roots then transplant to the fox farm soil and they should take off. After about 2 weeks you will need to start feeding your plants but take it slow. I always begin at maximum half recommended factory strength.

I do let the top layer dry before watering again. I know watering is sometimes hard to get right, so that is something I worry about.
Needs to be more than just the top layer bud. Check the weight of the pots. When it's light as air she's ready. If you can feel a little weight at the bottom of the pot she's not.

My opinion. The fox farm ocean forest is too hot for seedlings (precharged with food) the seedling starter you said started them well her but then started failing and got stunted. Cos there's hardly any food in there. My solution. Start them in the black gold in small pots until they fill out the little pot with roots then transplant to the fox farm soil and they should take off. After about 2 weeks you will need to start feeding your plants but take it slow. I always begin at maximum half recommended factory strength.
That would make sense! I'm definitely going to try that. Thanks for the advice
Needs to be more than just the top layer bud. Check the weight of the pots. When it's light as air she's ready. If you can feel a little weight at the bottom of the pot she's not.
I'm definitely going to pay more attention to that. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate any input in this learning process.

That would make a lot of sense. I'm for sure going to try this along with paying more attention to my watering. I've probably been too focused on PH and overlooked other things. Thank you for the help!

That would make sense! I'm definitely going to try that. Thanks for the advice

I'm definitely going to pay more attention to that. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate any input in this learning process.
You're welcome mate any time. Seriously just use a @ with my name it'll tag me in a post and I'll see it. Hope you get it worked out cuz

That would make a lot of sense. I'm for sure going to try this along with paying more attention to my watering. I've probably been too focused on PH and overlooked other things. Thank you for the help!
A lot of it is just over thinking and getting the first grow jitters out of the way. You'll get more confidence in yaself. You already said you knew you were PH'in your water correctly so have confidence in that and move your thinking to another solution.

Also I still fuck up all the time. But because of this place I know where, why and how to fix it and I'm confident in that. So when shit does hit the fan my heads calm and collected and just thinks shit through. Weird it's only in my garden that happens cos everywhere else I'm on fuckin edge lol

Also I still fuck up all the time. But because of this place I know where, why and how to fix it and I'm confident in that. So when shit does hit the fan my heads calm and collected and just thinks shit through. Weird it's only in my garden that happens cos everywhere else I'm on fuckin edge lol
Lol, same with the on edge part! I'm super grateful for this place; it's the only reason I'm solving any of my issues. It's so great that there's a whole community of people who are willing to help new growers learn :)

@Marleno hows your seedlings making out??

Sometimes they start out wonky and sometimes they just die.... not every seed I pop makes it to the flower room. Just be patient and don't over or under water seedlings.

Try a small fan on them too. This is called hardening off - helps with stem strength. Will pay dividends later. Fans are important.

Plants get nutrients from the soil via respiration. Water with nutrients comes up the plant. Water won't bring the nutrients without the plant transpiring moisture from the leaves so a fan helps with this process.

Back
Top Bottom