Misunderstanding organic soil and nutes

Coreygotwiings

420 Member
Starting my first grow soon. I wanna go organic from the jump but im confused and feel like im misunderstanding a few things. Should i start with a fox farm or build a soil and just top dress when feeding from the beginning or do i wait until the plant starts to show deficiencies before i start feeding.

Starting my first grow soon. I wanna go organic from the jump but im confused and feel like im misunderstanding a few things. Should i start with a fox farm or build a soil and just top dress when feeding from the beginning or do i wait until the plant starts to show deficiencies before i start feeding.
I would look into Los (living organic soil)

Here check this out

With organic soil you dont need to "feed" the plant anything.

Google "soil food web" - read how plants get nutrients. They dont need chemical fertilizer.

I would look into some organic soil recipes. Post a few you're interested in.

If you wanna get a bagged soil and use bottled nutrients (fertilizer) that isn't growing in organic soil.

There are lots of ways to grow.

I would pick a few methods you're interested in and talk about it here.

I use no-till organic soil. Its the easiest way to grow plants in containers.

Edit: What Joe said - I use a version of the Coots mix. I don't top dress or amend during the grow. Its water only.

Google "soil food web" - read how plants get nutrients. They dont need chemical fertilizer.

If you wanna get a bagged soil and use bottled nutrients (fertilizer) that isn't growing in organic soil.

Listen to this man he knows what’s up ✊

Yes, there is a lot of confusion when it come to organic.
One can be organic just by going with natural and non synthetic... so that being said, there are totally organic bottled nutrients out there. The problem is that there is living organic, and just organic. Just organic is not enough to grow our plants, unless you keep feeding artificially and you can do this with organic nutrients or synthetic nutrients.
You cease to be organic as soon as you throw a chemical in there. Chlorine is one of those chemicals. Put that in your soil, and you have just stopped the living part of the organic. If you use tap water, you may be growing naturally and with no synthetic nutrients, and organic in the sense that it is naturally based organic growing, but without life, to me it is just another form of synthetic... follow me here... synthetic organic.
You can be organic and still not have the nutrients you need to grow our plant. You have to have what the plants need in the soil, and that accumulation of elements might happen out in the outdoors, but typically not in a container of soil. You can build a soil or use a good composted supersoil as a base under a fox farm or other good organic soil, and as long as you keep the soil alive (with living microbes in it), you can actually get through your entire grow without any deficiencies or any additional feeding. If your soil has been built with all of the minerals in it that will be needed, such as with bloom spikes and good long term NPK raw materials in the soil, you will not need to add anything but good water to the container and the microlife will take care of feeding the plants. Top feeding is from the mindset that you are still a synthetic grower, having to supply everything to the plants. In a true living organic grow, there is no such need. All you need to do is to make sure that the microlife stay active and in high population and they will feed your plants using the materials you have left in the soil. In a true living organic grow, you might "fertilize" from the top with supplements, but these are designed to supercharge the plant, not feed it perse.
Our plants can be very needy, they are weeds after all. They do tend to need more calcium and magnesium than can be pre-built into a soil without locking out other nutrients, and so even in an organic grow, oftentimes we need to add additional. Other than that, if you have correctly built your soil and don't kill it, all these plants need is water. The nutrient companies don't want you to know that... but it is the truth. Anytime you need a reminder, look out your back window at all the plants out there that don't have gardeners such as you feeding them.
:peace::love::green_heart:

Yea i have and thats why i figure im just misunderstanding what should be going on. im not in a postition where i can actually mix my own soil from scratch with ease. im not intersted in using bottled nutes so becuase of that i dont know where to start as far as soil. i just started looking at coco but i dont think i wanna go that route either.

One can be organic just by going with natural and non synthetic... so that being said, there are totally organic bottled nutrients out there. The problem is that there is living organic, and just organic. Just organic is not enough to grow our plants, unless you keep feeding artificially and you can do this with organic nutrients or synthetic nutrients.
You cease to be organic as soon as you throw a chemical in there. Chlorine is one of those chemicals. Put that in your soil, and you have just stopped the living part of the organic. If you use tap water, you may be growing naturally and with no synthetic nutrients, and organic in the sense that it is naturally based organic growing, but without life, to me it is just another form of synthetic... follow me here... synthetic organic.
You can be organic and still not have the nutrients you need to grow our plant. You have to have what the plants need in the soil, and that accumulation of elements might happen out in the outdoors, but typically not in a container of soil. You can build a soil or use a good composted supersoil as a base under a fox farm or other good organic soil, and as long as you keep the soil alive (with living microbes in it), you can actually get through your entire grow without any deficiencies or any additional feeding. If your soil has been built with all of the minerals in it that will be needed, such as with bloom spikes and good long term NPK raw materials in the soil, you will not need to add anything but good water to the container and the microlife will take care of feeding the plants. Top feeding is from the mindset that you are still a synthetic grower, having to supply everything to the plants. In a true living organic grow, there is no such need. All you need to do is to make sure that the microlife stay active and in high population and they will feed your plants using the materials you have left in the soil. In a true living organic grow, you might "fertilize" from the top with supplements, but these are designed to supercharge the plant, not feed it perse.
Our plants can be very needy, they are weeds after all. They do tend to need more calcium and magnesium than can be pre-built into a soil without locking out other nutrients, and so even in an organic grow, oftentimes we need to add additional. Other than that, if you have correctly built your soil and don't kill it, all these plants need is water. The nutrient companies don't want you to know that... but it is the truth. Anytime you need a reminder, look out your back window at all the plants out there that don't have gardeners such as you feeding them.
The living soil is what i am trying to do indoors. i dont have easy access to alot of products except online.but my main question is what soil should i start with. I think i get the concept of keeping the soil alive .. i just dont want to kill it before i start

Yea i have and thats why i figure im just misunderstanding what should be going on. im not in a postition where i can actually mix my own soil from scratch with ease. im not intersted in using bottled nutes so becuase of that i dont know where to start as far as soil. i just started looking at coco but i dont think i wanna go that route either.
coco is about as synthetic as you can get, and that demands that you use bottled nutes.

What I recommend based on what you have stated above as your goals is the following:

Find online one of the supersoils such as was described above. Subcool, Clatch... there are about 5 main recipes out there... I am a fan of SubCool's. We live in an amazing time. You can find out there this exact soil that I use, mixed up and composted for 3 months for you, and ready to go. It is expensive, but keep in mind that this REPLACES bottled nutes.
Put this supersoil in the bottom third of your container. In the top 2/3 put a basic OMRI organic soil, such as FFOF or Roots Organic 101. Put 4 veg spikes in your second uppot in veg, and when you move to your flowering pot, put 4 bloom spikes (make sure these are OMRI organic) around the container. Water this system with RO water. You should never need another thing, other than possibly a little bit of organic OMRI calmag... or make your own out of eggshells using my recipe. I know of no cheaper way to grow outstanding pot. I figured it out one day... at one point I was growing pot, electricity included, for a total cost of operation of about $10 an oz. Do this. Everyone should do this. Check out my current grow journal to see how I do this... but beware... I have taken this to the next level... True Living Organics.

oh, and I failed to mention that you can use this supersoil over and over and over again... mine is going on 6 years now and about to be replaced. My last run has showed a deficiency finally that shows me that some of the minerals are being used up. I could guess and add and recompost, or I could just buy fresh like I am advising you to do. I will be buying too and will be reusing it for my next several grows. I tend to mix a couple of my old containers up and then use that mix of supersoil and organic base soil as a new layer in my new containers. I use a lot of layers... I add wormcastings in on one.... there is a thin layer of bloodmeal in there... I mulch... there is a lot of cool stuff to learn about true organic gardening indoors. Welcome to the journey! I find it fortunate that you asked the question you did, so early in. I predict you are going to have a very good experience with this.
Welcome to the board! Be sure to set up a grow journal so we can follow along as you learn this fascinating hobby!
:welcome::goodluck:

coco is about as synthetic as you can get, and that demands that you use bottled nutes.

What I recommend based on what you have stated above as your goals is the following:

Find online one of the supersoils such as was described above. Subcool, Clatch... there are about 5 main recipes out there... I am a fan of SubCool's. We live in an amazing time. You can find out there this exact soil that I use, mixed up and composted for 3 months for you, and ready to go. It is expensive, but keep in mind that this REPLACES bottled nutes.
Put this supersoil in the bottom third of your container. In the top 2/3 put a basic OMRI organic soil, such as FFOF or Roots Organic 101. Put 4 veg spikes in your second uppot in veg, and when you move to your flowering pot, put 4 bloom spikes (make sure these are OMRI organic) around the container. Water this system with RO water. You should never need another thing, other than possibly a little bit of organic OMRI calmag... or make your own out of eggshells using my recipe. I know of no cheaper way to grow outstanding pot. I figured it out one day... at one point I was growing pot, electricity included, for a total cost of operation of about $10 an oz. Do this. Everyone should do this. Check out my current grow journal to see how I do this... but beware... I have taken this to the next level... True Living Organics.
Im not finding this SubCool ready to go mix

If you're on the west coast check out "E.B. Stone Ultimate Recipe organic soil"

It's the same ingredients as what I run which is Coots Mix.

Coots mix can be purchased at a few places in Colorado and Oregon

KIS organics
BAS - build a soil

These last 2 can purchase ingredients to mix

EB stone is bagged version - ready to go.

Coots mix I don't "cook".

When you hear folks talk about "cooking" soil. That refers to composting. Usually because there are ingredients that when introduced to living organisms in the soil, they begin to compost and that heats up the soil.

This heating can "cook" roots of sensitive plants like seedlings and small VEG plants. There are so many active organisms that they eat roots and the nutrients. Larger healthy plants can fend that off.

Weed Snob Alert:

Organically grown cannabis in soil - once you tried the final product, its going to be very hard to go back to something different. You can taste and smell the difference and then there's the meds.

My no-till containers are 7.5 gal. Probably the smallest size you can get away with in
no-till.

Lots of good information in this thread! I thrive to one day (soon) be cooking my own soil and only having to add water. Im just getting my feet wet(2nd small grow) and am still learning about the microbiology and all the needs of the plants at certain stages. I havnt put the time or money aside to make my own super soil and also have a shortage of space...but all in time! I decided to go with a simple organic grow style that i found that doesnt use chelated nutrients and uses the living soil to break down the nutrients for the plant. It consists of a simple soil mix that doesnt need to be cooked. I use seaweed extract and molasses every watering in small doses and brew compost teas to reintoduce new micobiology when needed. I just started week 6 of flower and am experiencing what i believe to be a calcium deficiency! So had to add small dose of general organics calmag which iv read is safe to use with living soil!? If you want to learn more about this growing style check out Cali Green on youtube. Still not at simple/complex and natural as true living organic no till, but she seems to be enjoying life, until recently but hopfully iv helped her! I can still notice the buds growing and they are lookin juicy!:yummy:

I had a question about chlorine. I am just cooking my no till mix. Will start to use in a month. I have always filled a reservoir (100L) with tap water to degass the chlorine. Sits for a week. Is this enough to remove that as a factor? Or should I be buying a rain barrel? No chloramine in the municipal supply thankfully.

I had a question about chlorine. I am just cooking my no till mix. Will start to use in a month. I have always filled a reservoir (100L) with tap water to degass the chlorine. Sits for a week. Is this enough to remove that as a factor? Or should I be buying a rain barrel? No chloramine in the municipal supply thankfully.
if your community is using actual chlorine, it can be off gassed by sitting out and should be fine for an organic garden.

Rain barrels rock! We have several but I mainly use that water in our gardens outside. Inside I use RO filter for drinking/cooking and the indoor plants.

If you live in a colder climate - they make a valve for winter time that shuts off the water going into the barrel. In spring open it up again. There's quite a few folks here that swear by rain/snow water.

Usually letting tap water sit overnight is enough for the chlorine to gas off. Don't keep it air tight and you're good. Chloromine will gas off too its just WAY more difficult to filter it out.

Chloromine will gas off too its just WAY more difficult to filter it out.
Sorry Bob, but that is why they are moving to it... it does not evaporate out, so it is much cheaper for communities to use. Chloramine is easy to get out of there though, and one vitamin C tab will drop all of the chloramine out of the solution of a bathtub sized amount of water. This by the way is a very effective way to evaporate out the chlorine in water you are going to use in the garden... just let a bathtub full of water sit overnight.

Sorry Bob, but that is why they are moving to it... it does not evaporate out, so it is much cheaper for communities to use. Chloramine is easy to get out of there though, and one vitamin C tab will drop all of the chloramine out of the solution of a bathtub sized amount of water. This by the way is a very effective way to evaporate out the chlorine in water you are going to use in the garden... just let a bathtub full of water sit overnight.

thanks all. Yes, I use a 100L tote for my water reservoir. Chloromine doesn't work well in communities that still have a lot of lead pipes. (what I read) My community has lots of old lead pipes, so I will just offgas the Chlorine.

I've wanted a rain barrel, but they've been so expensive. 100$ for a big plastic barrel? Maybe I'll find one this year.

I'm very familiar with chloromine. I'm allergic to it now. I'm a swimmer. So I get exposed to it every day. It can be a gas. Mix chlorine with ammonia = chloramine gas - its poison.. A common household poison, sadly.

In a swimming pool, water treated with chlorine, then mixed with human waste (Urea - sweat/urine/waste products that come out of our skin pores) comes into contact with the chlorine. The byproduct is chloromine gas. This is easy gotten rid of with good ventilation.
When you go into an indoor pool and you smell chlorine - that's actually chloramine gas from the urea and chlorine reaction. Chloromine gas heavier than air so it accumulates at the water surface - swimmers breath it in and get allergic reactions. Sneezing, burning eyes, runny nose etc. bad stuff.

Prolly way more info than anyone wants to know. lol

You can neutralize chloramine with a organic material like a handful of compost as well.

Campden tablets and/or your Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is another way.

Aeration works then add some compost - make a tea that works.

Good thing about chloramine is it oxidizes quickly. We just cant filter it easily. Activated charcoal filter is somewhat effective.

thanks all. Yes, I use a 100L tote for my water reservoir. Chloromine doesn't work well in communities that still have a lot of lead pipes. (what I read) My community has lots of old lead pipes, so I will just offgas the Chlorine.

I've wanted a rain barrel, but they've been so expensive. 100$ for a big plastic barrel? Maybe I'll find one this year.
There are many many places where I live that have these empty blue plastic 55-gallon barrels and they sell for about 10 or $15 used. You just have to drive around and find a place that has them stacked up behind the business. I believe we got ours from a place that purchased Worcestershire sauce in those barrels when they were new.

Back
Top Bottom