Pimp my huge setup

Schnitzy

420 Member
Greetings everyone,

First of all let me apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum or if this has already been asked but I couldn't find any info that would solve my issue.

Anyways, I've finally decided to bring my dream into reality, saved some money and now it's time to invest that into a proper setup.

Lights, however, are anything but my expertise. Understanding all those PAR/PPFD formulas and calculating them is giving me a headache and knowing me I'll prolly end up making a mistake at one point. That's where I need your help, boys.

The setup is squared 7x8m (26x29ft). I was thinking of 3-4 horizontal rows (depending on the lights) which would take around 45m2 so consider this the surface that needs light.

For the love of god, can someone help me choose the best lights out there? I'm inbetween Mars FC6500 or TS3000 but if you guys have any better ideas, I'm completely open to suggestions.

In the attached you will find 3 setups;

Setup#1 which includes FC6500.
Setup#2 which includes SP250.
Setup#3 which includes TS3000.

Each square/rectangle presents area light coverage and each light.

I need something that isnt the most expensive nor the cheapest, something that will give fat quality buds and cover the area perfectly. I was using Mars products and gotta say have been pretty satisfied, but this requires some in-depth calculating and I don't trust myself enough for that. I know Im asking too much, but I exhausted all the other options.

Thanks in advance!

Setup1.PNG

Setup2.PNG

Setup3.PNG

The FC series covers better then the TS and runs cooler but now there is a new series that has made the FC series even better it is the FC-E6500 it has detachable design so you can lay it out how you want it.

My commercial grow is setup like your first pic with 5x5 trays 9 plants in each one FC6500 per 5x5 block. If thinking of using the TS 3000 you would want 4x4 blocks with six plants two rows of three.

My commercial grow is setup like your first pic with 5x5 trays 9 plants in each one FC6500 per 5x5 block. If thinking of using the TS 3000 you would want 4x4 blocks with six plants two rows of three.
Bro, you have no idea how much you’ve made my life easier now. When you go so deep in the calculations you dont even know if what you’ve calculated is correct or not and then seeing someone using the same setup for commercial grow makes me see rainbows.

Can I ask some questions because I really appreciate first hand info more?

-Average yield for the 5x5 setup
-Average electricity cost

And maybe some general info on how do you like your own setup and is there something you would have done differently?

Really appreciate the help, brother.

Yes sir I am on here most days looking for growers that might need help on something I know about. The average yield on the 5x5 area has a few factors. One is the strains that are growing, Two the age of plants before flowering. Three what the plants are growing in, example plants grow quicker in coco then soil. Veg time = weight. But average I can say is one pound per 5x5 with short veg that = 2oz per plant with a 9 stack. That is what we shoot for if more then outstanding. As for power cost not sure your location that will make a difference. I will tell you most states charge more for day time hours so my hours are for outside temps and cheaper hours to run. My veg runs on at 4pm off at 10am, flower on 8pm off 8am. Ruff numbers of cost on 20 TS3000 light setup would be $600 month $7200 ish a year not counting fans and other stuff. FC6500 $850 month $13,000 year. That is a ruff numbers not accurate on the two lights running 20 of them. On my big setup I have 5x5 carts I can roll around, they are all soil using drip lines zero waste meaning they eat all run off. Each 5x5 cart has a SharkBite connector so they can be connected or disconnected at any time to be moved if needed, comes in handy during harvest time the most. Also is a cart is clogging in any way it is easy to clean out lines.

Yes sir I am on here most days looking for growers that might need help on something I know about. The average yield on the 5x5 area has a few factors. One is the strains that are growing, Two the age of plants before flowering. Three what the plants are growing in, example plants grow quicker in coco then soil. Veg time = weight. But average I can say is one pound per 5x5 with short veg that = 2oz per plant with a 9 stack. That is what we shoot for if more then outstanding. As for power cost not sure your location that will make a difference. I will tell you most states charge more for day time hours so my hours are for outside temps and cheaper hours to run. My veg runs on at 4pm off at 10am, flower on 8pm off 8am. Ruff numbers of cost on 20 TS3000 light setup would be $600 month $7200 ish a year not counting fans and other stuff. FC6500 $850 month $13,000 year. That is a ruff numbers not accurate on the two lights running 20 of them. On my big setup I have 5x5 carts I can roll around, they are all soil using drip lines zero waste meaning they eat all run off. Each 5x5 cart has a SharkBite connector so they can be connected or disconnected at any time to be moved if needed, comes in handy during harvest time the most. Also is a cart is clogging in any way it is easy to clean out lines.
Mate, you are a friggin lifesaver!
Those are the exact calculations I've got, I'm actually shocked.

I never even considered turning lights during the night and now I can see we have 30% cheaper electricity from 9pm-6am, thank you for the advice!

After seeing what my mate went through with hydroponics, I think I'll start with soil first and risk few pests. Hydro requires bit more indepth knowledge and deeper pocket in the start but its definitely something Id like to use in the near future.

One last question and then you're free to go - would you prefer SOG or SCRoG technique for this setup?

For shorter veg and faster a turn around I use SOG. For longer veg and slower turn a round I use SCROG. For my commercial grow I do SOG 9 plants per block. If your going to do soil and you think you might have problems with pest I use a one inch layer of playbox sand on top of soil which stops the bugs from putting the larva in the soil. When it is harvest time you can scoop off sand and reuse very easy.

Forgot to add if using sand make sure it is coarse sand so air gets in and it will not clump up like mud.

Mate, where do you come with this stuff, this is a brilliant advice!! My last crop got almost ruined due to fruit flies devouring my roots, I did try neem oil but the infestation alrdy was so bad the plant looked like it survived Nam. I was afraid to add more neem because it was pretty thick on the leaves and apparently it leaves a terrible taste in the buds. Im definitely getting 300kg of that sand next week.

Forgot to add if using sand make sure it is coarse sand so air gets in and it will not clump up like mud
My idea was putting rice on top just to drag out the humidity on the upper 2-3cm of soil which isnt a problem when you have 1 plant, but with 180 thats a no-no so Im defo going with your idea.

I have been growing sense 1986 by my self, before that I was learning with family. Best two ways to fight bugs is one stop the reproducing hints sand and two get predator bugs can order online. I at least let some lady bugs lose every year most of the time twice in a grow season. You can order 1k for under 20$.

I have been growing sense 1986 by my self, before that I was learning with family. Best two ways to fight bugs is one stop the reproducing hints sand and two get predator bugs can order online. I at least let some lady bugs lose every year most of the time twice in a grow season. You can order 1k for under 20$.
Would it be a prob if I occasionally ask for advice because I can see you really know what youre talking about?

My prob is that I never had agricultural knowledge, I worked in finance my whole life but some life events made me change my lifestyle completely and Im loving every single part of it. I do have some carnivorous plants at home and tried to put them next to the plant and while they did some job, it was simply a bug wildfest out there. Wouldnt the ladybugs eat leaves tho?

Great thread guys! Awesome to see wisdom like this right @Schnitzy ?! Also, welcome to the forum. You have an enormous setup. Going head first! Congrats on saving that much chedda. I'm sure many of us are jealous...I know I am

No ladybugs do not eat plants they only eat bugs mites and their larva will eat other bug larva's. Ladybugs are meat eating Savages. There are a lot of other predators as well I just start with the ladybugs before using others needed. Hit me up anytime when you need some help or looking for info but please be patient sometimes I will not get back to you right away when I am working but I will as soon as I get some free time.

Great thread guys! Awesome to see wisdom like this right @Schnitzy ?! Also, welcome to the forum. You have an enormous setup. Going head first! Congrats on saving that much chedda. I'm sure many of us are jealous...I know I am
Mate, I got more useful info on this forum in 8 hours than I got doing google work for months. Thank you for the welcome, bro. Yeah, I am trying to chew a little bit more than I had previously imagined but now I'm so hyped about all this I said fugg it, its either going back to 8 hours of slavery or this. Im sure we both agree on the answer :D

No ladybugs do not eat plants they only eat bugs mites and their larva will eat other bug larva's. Ladybugs are meat eating Savages. There are a lot of other predators as well I just start with the ladybugs before using others needed. Hit me up anytime when you need some help or looking for info but please be patient sometimes I will not get back to you right away when I am working but I will as soon as I get some free time.
Yeah, I just read its only the mexican ladybugs who are herbivores, never knew this. Great info, brother, I think Ill try the ladybug variant first and if it fails, sand it is.

Also, no worries man, took me plenty of time to respond as well, these days are a mess.

Back
Top Bottom