Plans for a new room and lighting?

irocu88

Hello all,

I will apologize up front for the new guy questions…. I am a rookie grower and am just about ready to harvest my 4th crop, my current setup is:

Lighthouse 2.0 5X5 Tent
Master Green 1000w ballast in a Hydrofarm 6” Raptor Coolhood.

BULBS

1000w Ultra Sun Halide
1000w Optilume HPS
1 Max Fan 340 CFM/Filter

I have had decent results so far. I am growing Auto’s and seem to average about 4-5 oz per plant. I do have problems identifying problems which I imagine will come with experience, also heat has been an issue, I maintain now around 78-82. I get my seeds from 420. Now the questions….

I am getting ready to build a dedicated grow room (8 X 12), I plan to use about a 6X6 foot print, which I think means all growth is within that 6ft space…right? I am pondering the thought of what lighting to use…. I have been extremely skeptical of LED’s…mostly due to flat out misinformation from manufactures on how their rated. I will be running CO2 in the new grow room (around 1000-1200 PPM)…. Is there a LED light on the market that is actually equivalent to a 1000w HPS in real life or just on paper?. It seems reading reviews that these “equivalents” are only equivalent if you use 2 or 3 of them.

I have looked at the Kind XL 1000 and Black Dog Phytomax 2 1000…. It seems the kind is actually only 630 watts…. So would need 2, and the Phytomax 2, which is rated at 1050 real watts, uses the same amount of energy and gives off similar heat as the HPS……so where is the gain?

I do see benefits in bulb longevity and reduced heat, I am not buying a 60% increase in yield with almost half the wattage, and don’t want to spend $2000 for a light and end up going back to HPS.

If I were to go with LED’s, what would I need to actually be better than what I have without multiple lights? My intention is not to bash LED’s, but find out what is real….I am confused.

Thank you in advance

My lights are equal to a 1000w DE HPS
Together they are 650w and if all combined as one light would be around 1700 PPFD
A single 650w should be less than $800

20200930_181300.jpg

Well....I decided. I am going to add a pair of HLG 350R's to my HPS to try, if I like the results, I will get replace the HPS with a scorpion or something....

With dimmable lights, how do you know when/how much to dim? or is it a matter of no light burn means its not too much.....turn it up.

With UV light, is it UVA or UVB you want? seems I read it was UVB that was beneficial, but HLG has a supplemental UVA bar. And is it worth it to add....

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving..

Well....I decided. I am going to add a pair of HLG 350R's to my HPS to try, if I like the results, I will get replace the HPS with a scorpion or something....

With dimmable lights, how do you know when/how much to dim? or is it a matter of no light burn means its not too much.....turn it up.

With UV light, is it UVA or UVB you want? seems I read it was UVB that was beneficial, but HLG has a supplemental UVA bar. And is it worth it to add....

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving..

Both are great for plants. Uva helps internally where uvb gives it a sunburn to produce potent tricome

Back
Top Bottom