Plant height question

hewster1369

Hi,

I am growing two different strains, in 5 gallon bucket dwc's, in a 7 foot grow tent. One is a DNA Genetics L.A. Woman, and the other is a sour kush. The L.A. woman is growing so much taller than the kush, that I'm afraid it might outgrow my tent. I am just about to start the 4th week of flowering, and the l.a. is probaby a foot taller than the kush, and it's probably grown near a foot in the three weeks it's been flowering. I'm wondering will it start to slow it's height, now that it is starting to really start flowering. I figure it can grow about another foot, and then I'm screwed as far as space in the gorilla tent. The thing is a monster. Next time I will grow the same strain so I can better control this. I have some critical kush that I am going to grow next, but I got 3 free ones with the ten of those I bought, and I wanted to use the free ones first, so I could get the hang of it. The only reason I let it get so big, is that the other one wasn't big enough to flower, so I had to wait for it because I only have the one tent.

Also, would it be a good idea to do a flush of the plants at this point, or just wait until time for the end flush? I have never flushed them. Some people say you should periodically, and some say don't bother. I have changed the nutes several times though.

Thanks in advance.

Don't flush, at best it will halt progress, at worst it will really halt progress :).

As for the plant that is taller then the other you should "LST" it.

You can search the term LST or Low Stress Training, ytube has lots of videos on it and the forums here would have many pictorials on it, there would be many instances of it in my grow journals as well. But I will give you a quick crash course here as well.

So LST basically means training or shaping the plant to grow how you want without causing much pain or "stress" to the plant. A simple example is bending over the plant until the top is now longer the highest vertical point then tieing it down. This will make the top stop growing as fast and instead the plant will put most of its energy into the side branches. This will also help you fill up the tent more horizontally instead of the plants mostly just growing straight up and not too wide.

I don't have room to LST the plant. If I did that, it would be growing over the top of the other one. My tent is only 2.5 feet wide and 2 foot deep. The two of them in there pretty much fill that thing up. How much taller can I expect the thing to stretch in the next 6-7 weeks?

Don't flush, at best it will halt progress, at worst it will really halt progress :).

As for the plant that is taller then the other you should "LST" it.

You can search the term LST or Low Stress Training, ytube has lots of videos on it and the forums here would have many pictorials on it, there would be many instances of it in my grow journals as well. But I will give you a quick crash course here as well.

So LST basically means training or shaping the plant to grow how you want without causing much pain or "stress" to the plant. A simple example is bending over the plant until the top is now longer the highest vertical point then tieing it down. This will make the top stop growing as fast and instead the plant will put most of its energy into the side branches. This will also help you fill up the tent more horizontally instead of the plants mostly just growing straight up and not too wide.

Can u do that at any stage of the plant? If the plant is about 2 foot tall, could u still LST?

You do it basically forever.

After you bend a branch down you just leave it. Then when a new branch takes over and grows tall you just bend and tie that branch down. Eventually it makes a plant go from a single stalk into a bush with multiple stalks.

As long as the stems wont snap and break by bending them over you can do it. I am about to do it on some 2-3 foot tall plants. Ususally people are doing it when the plants are smaller but you can do it as long as the stems arnt hard and woodened off.

I don't have room to LST the plant. If I did that, it would be growing over the top of the other one. My tent is only 2.5 feet wide and 2 foot deep. The two of them in there pretty much fill that thing up. How much taller can I expect the thing to stretch in the next 6-7 weeks?

If you are in the 4th week of flower, Chances are you will harvest before 7 more weeks. She could still stretch another foot though, Depends on lights and all that. If she's super healthy you could accidently snip the top off and smoke it. You have limited options if you want to grow them out using the current grow room you have. " Let me know how that top smokes " :)

If you are in the 4th week of flower, Chances are you will harvest before 7 more weeks. She could still stretch another foot though, Depends on lights and all that. If she's super healthy you could accidently snip the top off and smoke it. You have limited options if you want to grow them out using the current grow room you have. " Let me know how that top smokes " :)

What effects would light have on the stretch, as far as more or less? I have a ushio coming shortly. Would more and better light increase or decrease the stretch? And, hey, if I have to cut it and smoke it, I guess that would be OK because I don't have any. I'm growing because I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of trying to get it somewhere else. Just trying to make a small, personal stash. ;)

Seen this more than few times... minor problem when growing different strains in same tent :thumb:

Stick bricks or blocks under DWC pot of shorter growing strain to raise height, adjust as & when needed... please counter for stretch once in flowering !

Or go to flowering phase earlyer than planned & then adjust, when needed via bricks/blocks.

Back
Top Bottom