Please help! My first time cloning: are my clones dying? Or maybe overwatered?

JohnnyDavidson420

420 Member
I took cuttings 2 weeks and 1 day ago(no visible roots). My mother started to show signs of flowering so I panicked and took cuttings then put her into flower. The cuttings looked super healthy and green for just under two weeks then started to turn. A few became limp wilted, but not all of them. They're dropping like flies now and I don't know how to save them. I've learnt I've kept the media too wet so there's that.. I checked the temp when I saw them start to droop- far too cold so I plugged the dome in. I also had too many leaves on so I removed some. I've gradually reduced misting and time spent with the lid fully closed/on. They're still getting worse. Please help- any advice would be much appreciated

20220121_233314.jpg

20220121_233320.jpg

20220121_233334.jpg

20220121_233339.jpg

20220121_233353.jpg

I’m no expert on clones that’s for sure but an extra pair of eyes can’t hurt.

Looks way too dry if anything - theres zero moisture for them to absorb….

How much foliar real estate is left behind has a lot to do with it… its hard for a cutting with no roots to keep a stem plus a few pairs of 5 bladed fan leaves alive, moist and green…. thats a lot of demand for a cutting without roots. Yes on heat mat & humidity dome. I prefer to mist inside of dome instead of on the plants.

clones don’t need strong lights, just proper light hours….

many scrape the stem and use cloning powder or gel on the stem. Cardboard will soak up the moisture so yup it can be too dry or it can be too wet. The amount of fresh air exposure time should be slowly increased each day.

maybe put hygrometer probe inside of dome to ensure rh is in line with VPD chart below… stay in green zone for cuttings

I’m going to ask @Bill284 to drop a link for cloning tutorial.

best of luck

1642821887906.jpeg

If you want 100% success look @Emilya DIY Bubble Cloner Tutorial. Only costs about $15 to make one. Every clone I've done in it has survived.
I've had clones that wilted way worse but they always bounce back after a few days. But I clone with a bubble cloner so can't say for sure if yours will or not.

I took cuttings 2 weeks and 1 day ago(no visible roots). My mother started to show signs of flowering so I panicked and took cuttings then put her into flower. The cuttings looked super healthy and green for just under two weeks then started to turn. A few became limp wilted, but not all of them. They're dropping like flies now and I don't know how to save them. I've learnt I've kept the media too wet so there's that.. I checked the temp when I saw them start to droop- far too cold so I plugged the dome in. I also had too many leaves on so I removed some. I've gradually reduced misting and time spent with the lid fully closed/on. They're still getting worse. Please help- any advice would be much appreciated

20220121_233314.jpg

20220121_233320.jpg

20220121_233334.jpg

20220121_233339.jpg

20220121_233353.jpg
Hey Jonny. From what I read there .
Not sure where you cut them. But 1/4" below the node. Scrape one side on the stem just scratch it. And split the end about 1/8 inch in middle. And dip into cloning compound.. some cover warm area around 80 degrees. Or heat mat . Got to keep good temp. And spray water into some around the dome to create alot of humidity. Two things they got to have humidity and warm. U did cut leaves like supposed to. Good there. You can take more leaves away. One or two is fine. Alot will make plant stawl and try to keep growing it can live about two weeks with no roots like that.
So remove more leaves. And do that like I wrote.there. should be fine. Good pH level water and no chems. Clean none clorine distilled or just boil some for few mins get all clorine and crap chemicals out. Or take glass of water leave out few days and use it. Most chemicals will vaporate that way.
And should have discoloration yellowing and they will look pour for few days. Till roots grow.
Conditions will have to stay consistent. So keep humidity up spray twice a day inside dome. . and temp.

Can't really tell but looks like two of them just stems.. what is best I found. When stem has two nodes. Take too part. When it's just stem to main branch they will do what your having issues like. From what I can read. Some folks wait till three nodes take too part. Some two. See if I can find pic for ya

And what you want to do strip all leaves from terminal shoot down leaving nodes and do what u did cut leaves all off and cut them in half and take second node about 1/4 from node Like this

Screenshot_20220122-001934.jpg
Hope that helps bro

@7Dust2 recently had a lot of success with honey as rooting gel.
Thanks bro for recommending me . Glad to help anyone if I can. I'm still old school ways but they still work. All these new ways doing things is a learning experience now.. they do some wild stuff now.. stuff we didn't even think about back in old days.

I’m no expert on clones that’s for sure but an extra pair of eyes can’t hurt.

Looks way too dry if anything - theres zero moisture for them to absorb….

How much foliar real estate is left behind has a lot to do with it… its hard for a cutting with no roots to keep a stem plus a few pairs of 5 bladed fan leaves alive, moist and green…. thats a lot of demand for a cutting without roots. Yes on heat mat & humidity dome. I prefer to mist inside of dome instead of on the plants.

clones don’t need strong lights, just proper light hours….

many scrape the stem and use cloning powder or gel on the stem. Cardboard will soak up the moisture so yup it can be too dry or it can be too wet. The amount of fresh air exposure time should be slowly increased each day.

maybe put hygrometer probe inside of dome to ensure rh is in line with VPD chart below… stay in green zone for cuttings

I’m going to ask @Bill284 to drop a link for cloning tutorial.

best of luck

1642821887906.jpeg
Thank you for your help!

Hey Jonny. From what I read there .
Not sure where you cut them. But 1/4" below the node. Scrape one side on the stem just scratch it. And split the end about 1/8 inch in middle. And dip into cloning compound.. some cover warm area around 80 degrees. Or heat mat . Got to keep good temp. And spray water into some around the dome to create alot of humidity. Two things they got to have humidity and warm. U did cut leaves like supposed to. Good there. You can take more leaves away. One or two is fine. Alot will make plant stawl and try to keep growing it can live about two weeks with no roots like that.
So remove more leaves. And do that like I wrote.there. should be fine. Good pH level water and no chems. Clean none clorine distilled or just boil some for few mins get all clorine and crap chemicals out. Or take glass of water leave out few days and use it. Most chemicals will vaporate that way.
And should have discoloration yellowing and they will look pour for few days. Till roots grow.
Conditions will have to stay consistent. So keep humidity up spray twice a day inside dome. . and temp.
Thank you for the advice I am going to focus on keeping the humidity up for now. I think I've let the media get to wet and the humidity far too low- less airing time should help and hopefully they will recover! This plant is beautiful and I'm terrified of losing it

20220121_233314.jpg

20220121_233320.jpg

20220121_233334.jpg

20220121_233339.jpg

20220121_233353.jpg
*UPDATE*
Thanks again guys. Followed your tips e.g removed more leaves, maintaining temp and humidity in the dome. 14 hours after the first photos and they're looking so much better
20220122_135116.jpg

*UPDATE*
Thanks again guys. Followed your tips e.g removed more leaves, maintaining temp and humidity in the dome. 14 hours after the first photos and they're looking so much better
20220122_135116.jpg
Yep they look better. All fan leaves need to go that's big ones off main stem. Now they will yellow little bit and in about ,7-8 days should have roots. Now you might have few die usually 1 out of 5 might or will die. Or 25% usually. Never get 100 percent on clones. So much can go wrong on clones.

You can take from flowering plants.. I know trees you can do it and have good results. But really you can any time take a clipping. It just revert back to veg stage. But better to do before flowering I think. But hey I'll try one. I got one flowering now. I'll pick one off and try clone it. See what happens.

You can root clones in a jar of water. I found the biggest secret is to use the sharpest tool possible to make the cut. the stem structure is like a bundle of straws that are crushed by dull tools and prohibit water uptake

Yep they look better. All fan leaves need to go that's big ones off main stem. Now they will yellow little bit and in about ,7-8 days should have roots. Now you might have few die usually 1 out of 5 might or will die. Or 25% usually. Never get 100 percent on clones. So much can go wrong on clones.
Thanks man- just trimmed them again now. I took extra cuttings to make room for casualties - no way was my first try ever gonna be perfect.

You can take from flowering plants.. I know trees you can do it and have good results. But really you can any time take a clipping. It just revert back to veg stage. But better to do before flowering I think. But hey I'll try one. I got one flowering now. I'll pick one off and try clone it. See what happens.
I did read this too.. I wasn't brave enough to try first time haha. I'd love to see how you get on though. Is it recommended to completely remove all the flowering parts when taking the cutting? I was also worried about the level of nutrients in the flowering mother plant, whilst taking the cuttings. I read somewhere that that could effect the cuttings.

You can root clones in a jar of water. I found the biggest secret is to use the sharpest tool possible to make the cut. the stem structure is like a bundle of straws that are crushed by dull tools and prohibit water uptake
I've heard this from several people too- something I'm planning to try out eventually. I made sure to use a fresh single edged razor blade for the main stem cut, scraped it a lil too. I'm gonna try splitting them a lil next time like @7Dust2 suggested

I've heard this from several people too- something I'm planning to try out eventually. I made sure to use a fresh single edged razor blade for the main stem cut, scraped it a lil too. I'm gonna try splitting them a lil next time like @7Dust2 suggested
I like how sharp razors are but they make me super nervous so I run a file over my clippers and then sterilize them with a lighter every time I take cuttings

Back
Top Bottom