Pot Size & Plant Number To Maximize Diversity & Yield In 4'x2' Tent

Randar

The title says it all. Looking for advice on this.

In the past I've grown only two plants at a time in my 4'x2' tent and had very decent results. On average, I get 360 g dry weight from the two plants (grown in 5 gal fabric bags with ProMix). I use a Series 2 Red Spec 250W Budget LED light for the entire tent.

That being said, I'm looking to increase my strain diversity during my grow while keeping similar to better yield. All other things being the same, what would be a good mixture of pot size to number of plants in the tent to achieve this?

Right now I'm thinking either 8 3-gallon fabric pots or 6-8 5-gallon fabric pots using a scrog net to even out the canopy. Thoughts?

Edit: my previous 2-plant grows have been with autos that I topped. My upcoming grow I'm planning to use photos, in case that makes a difference in the answer to the above question.

18x 6” plastic pots 1 week veg and flip maybe if you’re experienced with it using coco as a substrate and salt based nutrients

Wow, very interesting. Was not expecting that answer. Have you grown in 6" pots before? What kind of average yield would you get per plant with that method?

Hi Randar - depends on how bothered about huge plants?
Personally, I'm happy growing in 3L pots, never mind 3 gallons lol
I can fit 9x 3L or 2x 5L plus 4x 3L plants at a push, but 6 gives me a bit of breathing space for seedlings, watering etc
I cut off all the lower stuff and side shoots, only leaving 4-6 main colas
Currently I'm running 6x 3L pots

DSC_1350.JPG
CSC_1361.JPG

I'm not bothered by plant size, more just trying to maximize number of strains per grow while also keeping to around my average yield with two autos (around 360g). If that's possible with these methods, then I'm all ears.

As a note, I love the ideas so far, but it would also be helpful to include your average yields with those grow methods.

Thanks!

Wow, very interesting. Was not expecting that answer. Have you grown in 6" pots before? What kind of average yield would you get per plant with that method?
just trying out 6 inch pots this run but with organic soil and i’ve always grown in organic soil but i’ve grown with smaller pots 4” and stuff 2,5l and 20 grams of prime tops is doable with those (depending on the strain, environment and grower ability) strip the bottoms and just leave tops.

so if you take that as a baseline 20grams off 18 plants is about the same yield with much shorter veg. even if you cant pull that much from a 6”, which i highly doubt that, you’ll be able to turn the tent over much faster and do 2 runs almost in the time span you can do 1 with longer vegging etc. its just a good way to go if you want diversity and yield.

I'm not bothered by plant size, more just trying to maximize number of strains per grow while also keeping to around my average yield with two autos (around 360g). If that's possible with these methods, then I'm all ears.

As a note, I love the ideas so far, but it would also be helpful to include your average yields with those grow methods.

Thanks!
Depends entirely on the strain since most of the dry weight is resin, but I average about 50-70g per plant in 3L pots
I just treat it like a seed SOG

I ran 4 1 gallon in my 4x2, just harvested 2 weeks ago. Plenty of room left. I veg max 30 days. I have 10 out of 12 babies now. I can fit 8 1 gallon pots and adjust for humidity.
20220426_001046.jpg

Just concentrate on growing QUALITY buds. The quantity will follow.

4x2 is your limit - 2 pots at least 7.5gal min.

Work on your process try different genetics and different grow methods. I grow organic living soil same soil last 7-10 years. Automated watering.

Develop your method and raise your bar every round.

Bigger roots bigger shoots is the saying so you space really dictates that pot size. Basically the ceiling height. Or you can grow scrog style which isnt my thing I grow vertical or SOG style so I'm taking advantage of all the space in the room from the floor to the ceiling.

I'm Ok with 6 zips per plant every 60-70 days flower time. If your running longer flowering times for whatever reason your yields are going down over time so you need to think about time along with the weight.

I could veg a plant 4 months train it in a scrog and then flower it for another 70-80 days thats a long time I've already harvested 2 rounds in that same time frame. Then what happens when there's a fvck up?? The longer the plant is alive the more likely there will be an issue. So for me I like to get them into flower asap and harvest what I get.

I'd much rather have 4 zips top shelf craft grown organic with no issues that 6 zips that I had to deal with pests and/or disease. Some stuff always happens mother nature curve ball deal.

Back
Top Bottom