Potatoes wtf?

I'mOne

I have tried for years to grow a decent crop of potatoes
Like grandpa used to grow but no luck I'm not sure what the duck is wrong I put ashes, manure, liquid fertilizer and lime in them but got big vines and tiny potatoes
This is ever worse than last year when the bermuda took the patch over used rabbit manure this year
Is that the issue? Grandad always put lots of cow manure on his

are they in the ground or pots , growing in pots can be better , you start by just filling a third of the pot with soil and set your potatoes in and cover a little , once the shoots come up cover with some soil , once they come up again cover with more soil, keep doing this until you get to the brim of the pot , this will give you more potatoes and a lot more roots, a lot of people plant tats and its all top growth with little potatoes

P1180535.JPG
P1180536.JPG

the strain helps too, can have small potato strains or smaller baby boils , depends , i emptied my early pot to show you my little harvest from 1 just one small 7.5 a gallon pot :) I have late potatoes in also

P1180537.JPG
P1180538.JPG

Yes I planted these st patrick's day. I used the seed potatoes cut up and hardened off. They have beautiful vines but no potatoes to speak off, just little ones. I will give them more time but damn. I have fought potato bugs, put mulch, pulled weeds added aged horse manure and some fresh rabbit manure, burnt leaves and ashes, liquid fertilizer (tiger bloom) and before planting I added lime to the soil.

You may have given you much manure.

From Cornell University.
Potatoes perform best in areas where summers are cool (65 F to 70 F), but are widely adapted.
Potatoes require well-drained soil. (They will rot under prolonged cold, wet conditions.) If your soil is poorly drained or a heavy clay, consider using raised beds. Adding organic matter (compost, cover crops, well-rotted manure or leaves) is a good way to improve soil before growing potatoes. Go easy on organic matter sources high in nitrogen (such as manure) and nitrogen fertilizer as too much nitrogen can encourage lush foliage at the expense of tuber production.

Unlike most vegetables, potatoes perform best in acid soil with pH 4.8 - 5.5. Use scab-resistant varieties with pH above 6.0. Because most other garden vegetables perform best at near-neutral pH, it’s usually not feasible to grow potatoes in their preferred pH range, unless you dedicate one section of your garden to growing just potatoes in rotation with cover crops.

How well is your soil draining?

Back
Top Bottom