Powdery mildew

Gangamane

Hey guys I came home from work and immediately checked on the girls. When I opened up the tent and started looking at them I noticed what appears to be powdery mildew on two of them. The 11 roses and the northern lights. The the other three are clean and looking great. My humidity is in the range of 64-71% temperature has been 71-86 degrees. Two days after feeding the temp outside temp was 90 degrees and the tent got up to 90percent when I was at work came home and immediatly got it down to 60%. Will a spike for 10rs cause the mildew..

The mildew spores were there long ago, and probably growing for quite a while, the high humidity may have caused a growth spurt. I’ll just about guarantee everything in there probably has a little mildew, even if it’s not visible yet. Try and get the humidity down, and get more air flow. There are ways to combat it, but off the top of my head I can’t remember what to spray them with, I know someone will jump in with the answer.

The mildew spores were there long ago, and probably growing for quite a while, the high humidity may have caused a growth spurt. I’ll just about guarantee everything in there probably has a little mildew, even if it’s not visible yet. Try and get the humidity down, and get more air flow. There are ways to combat it, but off the top of my head I can’t remember what to spray them with, I know someone will jump in with the answer.
I have defoliated the bottom of the girls. Cut off all the bad leaves.. luckily it was all towards the pots. I put another fan on the floor blowing on the bottom. My humidity for today has been about 64% rh today. I hope I went about this the right way

I have defoliated the bottom of the girls. Cut off all the bad leaves.. luckily it was all towards the pots. I put another fan on the floor blowing on the bottom. My humidity for today has been about 64% rh today. I hope I went about this the right way
That is one way of getting rid of what is currently visible but it is not enough. The Powdery Mildew will be showing up on the rest of the leaves very soon.

Keep in mind what @Phytoplankton mentions when he wrote "I’ll just about guarantee everything in there probably has a little mildew, even if it’s not visible yet." As he said, it has been there awhile.

Your measures removed what was the most noticeable mildew but there is a near 100% chance that some patches still exist on the remaining leaves and those will start to be noticeable in another week or two.

That is one way of getting rid of what is currently visible but it is not enough. The Powdery Mildew will be showing up on the rest of the leaves very soon.

Keep in mind what @Phytoplankton mentions when he wrote "I’ll just about guarantee everything in there probably has a little mildew, even if it’s not visible yet." As he said, it has been there awhile.

Your measures removed what was the most noticeable mildew but there is a near 100% chance that some patches still exist on the remaining leaves and those will start to be noticeable in another week or two.
So what can I do to kill the spores.. I though humidity has been good for the most part

I've only battled PM 1x and didn't have the right tools to do it... and it destroyed my entire grow and had to be trashed. Afterwords I did learn about 2 products which a LOT of growers seemed to have good luck with so I picked both up.. BUT I never have used them since I haven't gotten PM again (Thankfully).

Serenade is one of the products that came highly suggested to me, which is a biological bacteria based spray that is supposed to attack the PM directly and is OMRI organic. Again I never had the opportunity to use it for PM since I purchased it after my battle with it... but it came highly recommended.

Another product which came highly recommended is called Green Cure and I believe its a potassium bicarbonate that is mixed up and sprayed on the plants and is supposed to be a good product with good results, but again, I purchased it after my battle with PM was pretty much lost, so I didn't really get to use it early on.....

I have also seen positive studies using UV-C light to eradicate PM, however the studies were paid for by the manufacture that makes the lights, which ALWAYS makes me skeptical to the results and if they were fair or not, but UV-C light does kill microbes, bacterias, spores, fungus and pretty much everything living including human skin cells... so UV-C does seem to be effective as a treatment from what I have seen, however UV-C is extremely dangerous to human cells so I would be very very cautious if you decide to go this route and use proper skin coverings and eye protections.

The best practices I would say is make sure to have good airflow through the canopy and never let the plants get too bushy and dense with leaves and defoliate or trim/prune the plants if they get too bushy and clustered. Air flow through the canopy is key!

I also would suggest keeping the humidity under 60% rh or less, anything more it creates a favorable environment for molds to thrive.

Another good IPM protocol is to make sure that any other houseplants or even nearby outdoor plants are not infected with PM. The one time my tent got PM, i had noticed that the decorative bushes and roses outside my apartment were full of PM, which I almost can bet that is where the spores came from to infect my garden. Luckily the landlord removed all of the Bushes and roses and since then I haven't had any issues. So make sure any nearby plants (indoor and outdoor) are not infected as that might be the source of the spores as well.

Lastly if you growing with clones from an outside source, always assume they are infected with pests or molds and never comingle them with other genetics you know are healthy.

I tried all the other "methods" that people say work for PM, like milk, raising leaf ph, neem oil, and other similar "remedies" but nothing seemed to work once the PM set in, and it destroyed my entire grow and everything was trashed.

Others may disagree with me, but depending how far along you are in the grow, I personally would trash the grow, completely sterilize the tent, and all surfaces with bleach/water or similar solution and start over with new plants... I learned the hard way trying to fight it, and it wasted time, resources, money and in the end it all had to be trashed.

Back
Top Bottom