Powerz and RedHeadFarmer's First Indoor DIY Deep Water Culture Cooler /Outdoor Soil Grow!

Re: Powerz and RedHeadFarmer's First Indoor DIY Deep Water Culture Cooler /Outdoor Soil Gro

Just posted in the old thread you had, but found this new one. Great lookin setup.
I dunno about the rest of 'yall, but this keeping track of multiple journals for one grow thing is going to confuse the F out of this stoner!:tokin:

Re: Powerz and RedHeadFarmer's First Indoor DIY Deep Water Culture Cooler /Outdoor Soil Gro

There's a lot of interesting stuff in this journal, but I am most intrigued by the adoptees in the swimming pool. My only advice (not to say this is all you should do...it's just the only thing I'm fairly sure of, since I'm a relative newbie) is to start by cutting off the damaged/dead/yellow/crusty/brown parts of those little ones. My babies had a touch of nute burn recently...I flushed them and cut off every last bit of damaged leaves last week and they have been completely green since.

Good luck, I'm subscribed!

Hey Growing Girls! Welcome to our Journal! I was concerned about the sour bubble babies but they are starting to look healthier, I got a rapidtest pH meter to test the soil but I'm not thoroughly convinced that it is working properly. Giving me readings fluctuating from 5.4-7.0? I use to cut the damaged leaves off to conserve the plant's energy for more productive new shoots and leaves. Roseman mentioned in his tutorial that the dieing leaves should be left to wither and die because they are full of resources the plant counts on when it is sick, so I'm gonna try it! :)

Powerz

Powerz - yes getting the right water flow from the feeder tubes can be tricky, don't sweat it, just keep the tube on the lower 1/3 of the rockwool cube. You want the roots searching down to go get it.

2 14" airstones should be good, maybe I just couldn't see good in the res. The more bubbles, the more O2 to your baby girls.

MC is right about the zymes. If your having root issues, they definitely will help. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

And Guido is correct about the air pump too. If it's in the direct light, you'll be pumping HOT air into the res. That's not going to help at all.

:goodluck:

Hey G007! I'll have to check out the zymes, is that something that I can get at home depot or longs gardening section? Or is it more of a hydro store item? I think I got my tubes dialed in, there are adjustable valves on the 8 way manifold, I unscrewed the caps on the other 2 that are vacant in order to relieve some pressure. I tried this once before but the drips would eventually stop, maybe they would get crimped or something, I'm not sure I'll check on it again later today and see if they are still going.

You're getting great advice, and I couldn't add anything to it.
. Welcome to 420, I 'll visit often to see how they are doing.

Hey Roseman! Thanks for checking out our Journal! I gotta say I would not have even had the motivation to start growing without reading your tutorial! I reference back to it all the time, I have your 8-step remedy posted in our grow room! Thank you for your contributions to us newcomers! I really appreciate everything you have done!

Powerz

Just posted in the old thread you had, but found this new one. Great lookin setup.

Hey VOJ! Thank you! Glad you could make it sorry for the confusion!

I dunno about the rest of 'yall, but this keeping track of multiple journals for one grow thing is going to confuse the F out of this stoner!:tokin:

Sorry about the multiple journals maybe if its ok with RHF and the mods we can get the other one closed or deleted... I'll discuss it with him when he gets up. He's lives in another time zone, he'll be up around noon or 1 if were lucky.

Powerz

Hey all, found out my chocolope started to sprout today! Woot woot! I am very excited for her!
2010-07-08_09_33_40.jpg

Hi and welcome. I have not had root issues but unlike most people I put the tubes on hole up from the bottom and don't butt it into the rockwool. I believe that prevents no matter what the flow from the roots getting too much. My rockwool was always slightly damp but not over watered. I didn't do it on purpose either grow but was pulling my tubes on every water change and that is just the way it ended up. Sometimes I had steady flows and sometimes a drip but never a difference in moisture overall in the cup.

I am not saying to do what I did but it worked for me. Butting the tube in from all the journals I read you must be more precise on the drip.

Hi and welcome. I have not had root issues but unlike most people I put the tubes on hole up from the bottom and don't butt it into the rockwool. I believe that prevents no matter what the flow from the roots getting too much. My rockwool was always slightly damp but not over watered. I didn't do it on purpose either grow but was pulling my tubes on every water change and that is just the way it ended up. Sometimes I had steady flows and sometimes a drip but never a difference in moisture overall in the cup.

I am not saying to do what I did but it worked for me. Butting the tube in from all the journals I read you must be more precise on the drip.

Hi Alien! Thanks, thats a great idea! I used to butt it into the bottom through the bottom hole but I found that the tubes kept getting crimped in the smaller holes so I moved them up a bit. I'll have to try that though. I think when the drip feed is that low its probably encouraging root growth by making it search for the water in addition to being a preventative of root rot/ overwatering.

If you have a hydro store near you I'd go there, or check out our sponsors ;)

Hey Growing Girls! Welcome to our Journal! I was concerned about the sour bubble babies but they are starting to look healthier, I got a rapidtest pH meter to test the soil but I'm not thoroughly convinced that it is working properly. Giving me readings fluctuating from 5.4-7.0? I use to cut the damaged leaves off to conserve the plant's energy for more productive new shoots and leaves. Roseman mentioned in his tutorial that the dieing leaves should be left to wither and die because they are full of resources the plant counts on when it is sick, so I'm gonna try it! :)

Powerz

Well I would never tell anyone to not follow Roseman's advice!

However, to be clear, I wasn't talking about cutting off entire leaves...just trimming off the damaged parts of them. But maybe I just like to do that because I like seeing green.

In any case, I'm excited to see how they turn out. :)

Well I would never tell anyone to not follow Roseman's advice!

However, to be clear, I wasn't talking about cutting off entire leaves...just trimming off the damaged parts of them. But maybe I just like to do that because I like seeing green.

In any case, I'm excited to see how they turn out. :)

I must say a crop that is all green is mighty tempting! :) They are already looking better in my opinion we should have several pull through!

Please check out the new poll I started

What 'zyme do you use?

Hey Green007! Thanks for the very informative thread! Ill have to go pick some hygrozyme up!

Hello all!

I just got back from a weekend trip up north, and the girls are looking good!
2010-07-11_18_30_26.jpg

As I stated earlier we are germinating some bagseed from some cheese we had for an experimental "Guerrilla" style grow.
2010-07-11_18_34_42.jpg

Chocolope is coming slowly but surely!
2010-07-11_18_33_49.jpg

1 of the OGX18 x Skunk seedlings remains stunted but the other 3 are showing new growth
2010-07-11_18_33_34.jpg

2010-07-11_18_34_16.jpg

2010-07-11_18_34_02.jpg

2010-07-11_18_33_22.jpg

All of the girls on the sick table are showing new growth even the runt from the first failed hydro set-up.
2010-07-11_18_31_42.jpg

2010-07-11_18_31_29.jpg

2010-07-11_18_31_59.jpg

2010-07-11_18_32_07.jpg

The Sour Bubble Swimming Pool is looking much better! All but one plant show new growth and green healthy shoots! :)
2010-07-11_18_36_19.jpg

2010-07-11_18_36_05.jpg

2010-07-11_18_35_54.jpg

I also picked up some SuperThrive and Earth Juice Catalyst that I saw at CVS and remembered reading about so I'll be experimenting with those.

Thats it for today! Thanks for reading!

Hey everyone, just wanted to mention that my compost J.T.R. has been looking a lot better after i fed her with some FoxFarms Big Bloom (<1 tbl spoon mixed with 1 gallon of water)

Love the fact that you didn't toss the plants like most would have. Patience and effort prevails.

Hello everyone!

I came home today to notice the babies in the cooler are showing yellow in the new growth areas, as far as nutrient deficiencies I believe that is a symptom of sulfur deficiencies. I put 6 drops of superthrive like MC suggested, but the yellowing has only gotten worse! I have swapped out the water and cleaned the system, pH 5-5.5 but was at 7 before res flush. Please take a look and leave your thoughts! Thank you.

2010-07-13_23_02_59.jpg

2010-07-13_23_03_12.jpg

2010-07-13_23_03_44.jpg

2010-07-13_23_04_27.jpg

2010-07-13_23_04_13.jpg

2010-07-13_23_04_00.jpg

Back
Top Bottom