Powerz and RedHeadFarmer's First Indoor DIY Deep Water Culture Cooler /Outdoor Soil Grow!

Powerz

Hello All!

My name is Powerz and my friend RedHeadFarmer and I are a few weeks into our first grow! We wanted to document this from the beginning but after we started taking on more and more plants and expanding and changing our plans we fell a bit behind. We will be growing 7 different strains in a variety of different mediums in order to kinda test the waters.

Please allow me to walk you through our garden!

Here you can see our entire outdoor setup.

2010-07-07_13_39_50.jpg

Let me first show you our Healthy Plants!

2010-07-07_13_40_07.jpg

The 7 girls in the 7 gal grey pots were the first clones we got on 6/19/10. 6 Jack The Rippers and 1 Big Bud. We Fimmed each of the JTR and we Topped the Big Bud which came out great imo!

2010-07-07_13_41_21.jpg

2010-07-07_13_41_40.jpg

2010-07-07_13_42_36.jpg

2010-07-07_13_43_06.jpg

2010-07-07_13_43_30.jpg

2010-07-07_13_43_45.jpg

2010-07-07_13_44_15.jpg

2010-07-07_13_44_07.jpg

2010-07-07_13_43_56.jpg

2010-07-07_13_44_35.jpg

2010-07-07_13_45_21.jpg

2010-07-07_13_45_30.jpg

2010-07-07_13_45_37.jpg

2010-07-07_13_46_03.jpg

2010-07-07_13_46_19.jpg

2010-07-07_13_46_30.jpg

All right, lets move on to our Hospital! First we have these four on our sick table.

2010-07-07_13_46_47.jpg

This first one on the left is the only one that survived the pythium (root rot) we got in the Deep Water Culture indoor system the first time around. We had to toss the other babies less than a week in! (We have since replaced them with seeds that also got root rot, but we were able to flush the res out following Roseman's 8-Step Remedy)

2010-07-07_13_47_02.jpg

2010-07-07_13_47_16.jpg

This next one is the first Sour Bubble we got and she stunted after we topped her, then she got what we think is sun bleaching.

2010-07-07_13_48_08.jpg

2010-07-07_13_48_45.jpg

These last two were a side to side comparison (organic compost vs. nute supplemented) neither are doing very well, but it was also a bad batch of clones (same as the pythium suffered Deep Water Culture)

2010-07-07_13_47_40.jpg

2010-07-07_13_47_56.jpg

2010-07-07_13_49_00.jpg

2010-07-07_13_49_16.jpg

2010-07-07_13_49_44.jpg

2010-07-07_13_50_00.jpg

Next we have this Pool. RHF had the opportunity to save the lives of 17 dieing sour bubble babies and he took it! We didn't have room on the support we made for our other girls so we put them in a children's swimming pool. The pool is a mixture of FF Ocean Forest, Perlite and some pro soil mix we had laying around the house. Please feel free to comment on these poor girls, and help us save them!

2010-07-07_13_50_14.jpg

2010-07-07_13_50_34.jpg

2010-07-07_13_50_42.jpg

2010-07-07_13_50_48.jpg

2010-07-07_13_51_01.jpg

2010-07-07_13_51_011.jpg

2010-07-07_13_51_12.jpg

2010-07-07_13_51_22.jpg

2010-07-07_13_51_34.jpg

We also used the same mixture for our other soil guys (except the compost vs. chemicals experiment)
2010-07-07_12_26_20.jpg

Finally let me take you to our indoor grow! Here is the view from outside, we were allotted a laundry room and we turned it into a very cheap DIY grow room!

2010-07-07_12_35_48.jpg

We have one set up with 4 Sprouts and a popped seedling we just put in. We have the equipment for our second set-up but we are going to wait until we have our heads screwed back on and our other plants are healthy first.

2010-07-07_12_24_11.jpg

2010-07-07_12_23_31.jpg

2010-07-07_12_25_13.jpg

And these are our little ones!
2010-07-07_12_22_39.jpg

2010-07-07_12_22_31.jpg

2010-07-07_12_22_21.jpg

2010-07-07_12_22_09.jpg

2010-07-07_12_21_38.jpg

That's all for now! thanks for stopping by and checking out our journal! All comments and criticism welcome!

-Powerz

Re: Powerz and RedHeadFarmer's First Indoor DIY Deep Water Culture Cooler /Outdoor Soil Gro

Hey Bendog, thanks for stopping by!

I began their nutrient solution at 25% AN Micro and Grow, but after I noticed the Pythium coming back I flushed out the system and have been running clean, pH'd water since. I am waiting for the Feminized Chocolope seed to sprout before I begin feeding again.

Re: Powerz and RedHeadFarmer's First Indoor DIY Deep Water Culture Cooler /Outdoor Soil Gro

How is it going Powerz,
I'm not sure but I think maybe your lights are to close or to intense for their age. You might want to raise or/and take out some light, especially since you have some that haven't sprouted yet. I kept mine in rockwook and an egg carton with a clear dome and in the shade for the first week after the last seed has sprouted. You just have to keep the rockwool wet. Check out my journal in my thread and you will see what I mean. With 4 plants I vegged with 1 85 W 6500k and 1 85 W 2700k bulb and had to intentionaly stretch them. It is good to have a lot of light but you can have to much, especially in the first 10 days or so. When I went into flowering stage (3 days ago) I added mega lights, and they are loving it. I may be wrong and if I am someone will correct me shortly.
:welcome:

:welcome: to 420! Nice gardens! +reps

Don't know much about soil, but some about Deep Water Culture. From the pic of your res I see some things.
1. The stream on your feeder tube is too strong - you want a heavy dribble not a constant stream coming out of the bottom of your net cups.
2. Add more air stones - you need more bubbles, dbl whatever you have for air stones.
3. NO NUTES - typically you don't add 1/8 to 1/4 nutes until the 2nd set of leaves. They look nute burned to me.
4. Res temps ideally are 68°, keep them under 72° to avoid root rot.

Read the links in my sig, everything you need to know about Deep Water Culture. :hookah:

Read this CFL tutorial - seriously. ;)

Not sure about the cooler for a res - quite a few of us have discussed it, but your the first journal I remember trying it.

I'm in! :popcorn:

Sorry dude,
Your question was about res temps. I have 2 gallons of Ph balanced and what level of nutrients I am using in the refrigerator, in the morning I first replenish my resevoir bake to starting level then I remove to 2 gallons from the resevoir. Replace with the refrigerated water. Put the 2 gallons that I took out in the refer to chill. It is a pain in the ass until you can take the water pump them it is much easier. Make sure that your air pump is not under the lights. You will be pumping hot air into your res. I put my as far from the res. as possible. If you put your hand on top of the air pump sometimes you can feel the heat. I like to grow 4 plants in my bubbler that leaves to holes (that are covered) to check nut, ph and water tem also a good place to pour in chilled water.
Peace Bro

Nice!

id be kept awake at night thinking about those plants siting on that stool and balanced on a wall!

hope your not in earth quake country. :)

Don't know much about soil, but some about Deep Water Culture. From the pic of your res I see some things.
1. The stream on your feeder tube is too strong - you want a heavy dribble not a constant stream coming out of the bottom of your net cups.
2. Add more air stones - you need more bubbles, dbl whatever you have for air stones.
3. NO NUTES - typically you don't add 1/8 to 1/4 nutes until the 2nd set of leaves. They look nute burned to me.

Read the links in my sig, everything you need to know about Deep Water Culture. :hookah:

thank you lol you covered what i was getting at

Wow that's a lot to digest. You're not doing this in a small way, are you! Just starting to learn soil myself and it is inside so I'm not sure how much help I can be there but there are guys like PitViper and The Butcher that can get you guys straight so look them up. The babies look a little young for even the 1/4 nutes. You're right to run clear water at them and see how they respond. Might add some superthrive if you have that around. What's the ambient temp of your room? Res temps in the high 60's?

You might also consider one of the zymes ( Cannazyme, Hygrozyme, Sensizyme). They can help protect the roots and turn any roots that die off back into nutes the plants can use. I've been told that it is also good for soil and I'm half dosing my soil grow and I'm using FFOF also. You look like you add a lot more perlite than I did. I'd bet they drain really well! I've also found that Liquid Karma and Molasses are good adds but again mine are inside if that matters. As a group your troubled plants seem to be overnuted if anything. Downward turning leaves are a tell tale sign. A water only diet is what I'd do. The soil has plenty nutes for them to get by on and may even be too hot if they were sick when they went in. Good news it they will adjust in time.

How is it going Powerz,
I'm not sure but I think maybe your lights are to close or to intense for their age. You might want to raise or/and take out some light, especially since you have some that haven't sprouted yet...
:welcome:

Hey Guido, thank you for your advice, I think you are right. My lights are too close, which were also causing my res to get warm. I raised my lights about 5 in and I think they'll like that, the res already got cooler!

Hey Green007! Thank you for the warm welcome, were glad to be here! I am struggling to get my feeder tubes to a rapid dripping pace. I find that no matter how minimal of changes I make the tubes are either running or dripping on and off with long dry times every now and then.
I actually have 2 more 14" air stones and an additional air pump I was going to use for my second system, but if you think its necessary to have 4 of them per system I could probably do that.
I jumped the gun feeding them and I will definitely hold off now until the second set of leaves appear, thank you
I was having res temp issues, but since I moved the lights up a bit the res has cooled down a lot!

Nice!

id be kept awake at night thinking about those plants siting on that stool and balanced on a wall!

hope your not in earth quake country. :)

Hey Snowbender! Thanks for stopping by and checking out my grow. I figure when they get older I will progressively move them down to the ground off the platform, unfortunately we are at risk of earth quakes so lets just hope we have a safe first couple months up there!

Wow that's a lot to digest. You're not doing this in a small way, are you! Just starting to learn soil myself and it is inside so I'm not sure how much help I can be there but there are guys like PitViper and The Butcher that can get you guys straight so look them up. The babies look a little young for even the 1/4 nutes. You're right to run clear water at them and see how they respond. Might add some superthrive if you have that around. What's the ambient temp of your room? Res temps in the high 60's?

You might also consider one of the zymes ( Cannazyme, Hygrozyme, Sensizyme). They can help protect the roots and turn any roots that die off back into nutes the plants can use. I've been told that it is also good for soil and I'm half dosing my soil grow and I'm using FFOF also. You look like you add a lot more perlite than I did. I'd bet they drain really well! I've also found that Liquid Karma and Molasses are good adds but again mine are inside if that matters. As a group your troubled plants seem to be overnuted if anything. Downward turning leaves are a tell tale sign. A water only diet is what I'd do. The soil has plenty nutes for them to get by on and may even be too hot if they were sick when they went in. Good news it they will adjust in time.

Hey Mostly Crazy! Thank you for taking the time to check my journal out!
The room temperature ranges from 65-85 for the most part, but we just put a screen door in which will hopefully help maintain a more consistent temperature. I still need to get a thermometer for my res.
I will have to find some superthrive and check into the different zymes you recommended I would love to experiment with different additives side by side that is once my babies are doing better! I hope that the FFOF soil isnt too rich for the dieing sour bubble babies? They got some good sun today, I have confidence in them!

I could of sworn I posted in this Powerz. I must of been on some good stuff and forgot. LOL

I could of sworn I posted in this Powerz. I must of been on some good stuff and forgot. LOL

Hey H, RHF actually started another journal but after reading "how to post your grow journal" I decided to start a new thread that was a little easier to follow with more information in the title etc. Glad you found your way over here!

There's a lot of interesting stuff in this journal, but I am most intrigued by the adoptees in the swimming pool. My only advice (not to say this is all you should do...it's just the only thing I'm fairly sure of, since I'm a relative newbie) is to start by cutting off the damaged/dead/yellow/crusty/brown parts of those little ones. My babies had a touch of nute burn recently...I flushed them and cut off every last bit of damaged leaves last week and they have been completely green since.

Good luck, I'm subscribed!

Powerz - yes getting the right water flow from the feeder tubes can be tricky, don't sweat it, just keep the tube on the lower 1/3 of the rockwool cube. You want the roots searching down to go get it.

2 14" airstones should be good, maybe I just couldn't see good in the res. The more bubbles, the more O2 to your baby girls.

MC is right about the zymes. If your having root issues, they definitely will help. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

And Guido is correct about the air pump too. If it's in the direct light, you'll be pumping HOT air into the res. That's not going to help at all.

:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom