Powerz and RedHeadFarmer's First Indoor DIY Deep Water Culture Cooler /Outdoor Soil Grow!

Re: Powerz and RedHeadFarmer's First Indoor DIY Deep Water Culture Cooler /Outdoor Soil Gro

Give me the details of whats in the res. What kind of water - tap, RO, - what's the water PPM? Still having PH fluctuations? Any nutes or additives? Those babies are so young you shouldn't have any nutes in there yet. If you are only adding superthrive to plain water, then I suspect the water PPM is high, maybe try RO water. If PH is still riding the roller coaster, you can try PH stabilizers like the tabs you can get a aquarium stores to provide a buffer. You'll still need to ph balance the res, but the buffers might help it stabilize until you are ready to add nutes.

Re: Powerz and RedHeadFarmer's First Indoor DIY Deep Water Culture Cooler /Outdoor Soil Gro

In the pictures I can't see the root hitting the rockwool. Is it turning black? What temps have you been able to keep in your res? And What is the PPM of your tap? I had issues that look a lot like what you have, mine died unfortunately, but i learned a bit. Keeping the res temp down was a big deal, and i think overwatering was a small part of the issue, but that was just because the plants stunted and didn't grow, so they weren't really drinking the water, just sitting in wet rockwool. Also, my PH was wild, and checking it 2-4 times a day early on was required, I tried that too late in the game. My tap PPM was around 300-350, not sure if that had anything to do with it, I know a few members have the same PPM tap and don't have issues in bubbles.
Here's a pic of one of the ones that died on me when I had the issues above:
RF2.JPG

Give me the details of whats in the res. What kind of water - tap, RO, - what's the water PPM? Still having PH fluctuations? Any nutes or additives? Those babies are so young you shouldn't have any nutes in there yet. If you are only adding superthrive to plain water, then I suspect the water PPM is high, maybe try RO water. If PH is still riding the roller coaster, you can try PH stabilizers like the tabs you can get a aquarium stores to provide a buffer. You'll still need to ph balance the res, but the buffers might help it stabilize until you are ready to add nutes.

Hey Green, I have tap water in my res, pH flucuates from 6-6.5. I had some superthrive in there but I flushed the system and took it out when I began to see the baby chocolope beginning to show yellow like the others. The babies are continuing to show new growth everyday, but it is all yellow! I don't know what to do! I dont know the PPM of the water, I dont have a meter. Res temperature is maintained at 75 (+/-5). Thanks for your help!

In the pictures I can't see the root hitting the rockwool. Is it turning black? What temps have you been able to keep in your res? And What is the PPM of your tap? I had issues that look a lot like what you have, mine died unfortunately, but i learned a bit. Keeping the res temp down was a big deal, and i think overwatering was a small part of the issue, but that was just because the plants stunted and didn't grow, so they weren't really drinking the water, just sitting in wet rockwool. Also, my PH was wild, and checking it 2-4 times a day early on was required, I tried that too late in the game. My tap PPM was around 300-350, not sure if that had anything to do with it, I know a few members have the same PPM tap and don't have issues in bubbles.
Here's a pic of one of the ones that died on me when I had the issues above:
RF2.JPG

Hey Joe, I'm sorry to hear about your girls! I really hope my babies dont share the same fate! After yours began to show yellowing in the new growth did the growth stop before they died or did they continue to try and grow even though they were yellow? what temperature did your res get up to? Thanks for the help!

MC knows. Try and keep the temps down in the res too. Read the link in my sig about Temps and Humidity in Deep Water Culture. :goodluck:

My res temps were 72-75 quite often. It was difficult to keep the temps down, until I finally gave into putting ice bottle around the res, that was the fix but came to late. I pulled the girls because they were tiny and had been trying to grow for a few weeks, I went and got a cutting and moved on. I now know not to leave the res temps over 70 for very long, to wait on nutes until you clearly see they are hungry, and to be on top of the PH swings the first couple of weeks in particular, since that's when the swings happened. Once I had plenty of roots in the water and some food, the swings stopped.

My res temps were 72-75 quite often. It was difficult to keep the temps down, until I finally gave into putting ice bottle around the res, that was the fix but came to late. I pulled the girls because they were tiny and had been trying to grow for a few weeks, I went and got a cutting and moved on. I now know not to leave the res temps over 70 for very long, to wait on nutes until you clearly see they are hungry, and to be on top of the PH swings the first couple of weeks in particular, since that's when the swings happened. Once I had plenty of roots in the water and some food, the swings stopped.

Thats a lot to have learned so fast, but you learned it, and learned it from experience.
Experience is a much better teacher than a reading a book.

I'd be embarrassed to death for you to see my first grow. I nearly killed them twice and once, thanks to some added miracle grow, I lost EVERY leaf when they were about 5 or 6 inches tall. A Drain and Replenish fixed them tho.

Hello all!

Sorry I have been MIA for a couple weeks, let me try and catch everyone up here...

The babies in the Cooler have died unfortunately. I transplanted the sleesestack and the chocolope to soil but they arent looking much better.

2010-07-26_00_14_02.jpg

2010-07-26_00_14_38.jpg

2010-07-26_00_13_44.jpg

We ran into a pest problem so we sprayed our entire crop heavily with safer 3in1 and moved all the girls into this "greenhouse" we built.
2010-07-28_19_49_18.jpg

2010-07-28_19_45_04.jpg

2010-07-28_19_48_16.jpg

They have been in the greenhouse for 3 days now and yesterday about 75% of the girls started showing this on all their new growth!!!

2010-07-28_19_47_31.jpg

I'm thinking since the sun came out shortly after we sprayed heavily with safer they may have gotten chemical burned, or since the humidity has been pretty high in their I was thinking it may have been mold, but RHF thinks it couldnt be since we sprayed so heavily with sulfur (Safer 3-in-1). Also they all were planted 4-5 weeks ago and the soil is probably pretty bare as far as nutrients goes, but we just fed some with AN 3-part yesterday and we will feed the rest today.

Any ideas?

Look to me like more of a chemical burn then anything. Note how the burns are only in places that would "hold" the excess mositure and that moisture had some extra chemicals in it. Good news is that it's a one time error and easily handled by the plant going forward.

WOW, you have been busy. Very nice. :goodjob:

Since I know very little about soil grows, this is all new to me. I love what your doing though. :)
:popcorn:

I don't have a clue about out-door growing in a hot house, in soil like that.

My heart is in HP Aero and Deep Water Culture, this grow is a huge learning experience for me but it is mainly a fundraiser for the big greenhouse with HP aero tables, and the Deep Water Culture room that will be built post-harvest! :) That is if these football field size industrial grows dont put us all out, come january...

Look to me like more of a chemical burn then anything. Note how the burns are only in places that would "hold" the excess mositure and that moisture had some extra chemicals in it. Good news is that it's a one time error and easily handled by the plant going forward.

Thanks MC! Ya they are doing great now, we definately wont be doing that again.

WOW, you have been busy. Very nice. :goodjob:

Since I know very little about soil grows, this is all new to me. I love what your doing though. :)
:popcorn:

Hey Green! Thank you, I cant seem to just let them grow! its like I always have to be attending to them changing this, changing that... hahaha but I'm sure you know what I mean, it seems to be a popular problem.

Not much has changed, I have sealed the greenhouse from light and air now that I have installed an intake filter. and I use black/white poly to cover them from 7pm-7am I am hoping the exact 12 hour lighting period gets them to flower a bit faster since were running out of summer time...

I was wondering if anyone has tried using the 70-150W self ballasted HPS lamps from home depot? I was thinking about hanging like 6-8 of them up for supplemental lighting on a timer... I have some cfls up now but they dont seem to be making much of a difference unless its really foggy.

Pictures... Pictures... Pictures!!! Bout time to update the imagery :)

2010-08-01_17_45_15.jpg

Anyone remember those poor helpless dieing sour bubbles?

2010-07-07_13_40_29.jpg

Well theyre doin a lot better now! :)

2010-08-01_17_46_23.jpg

Now to refresh your memory on our sick table we had....

2010-07-07_13_48_08.jpg

2010-07-07_13_47_02.jpg

2010-07-07_13_44_35.jpg

Less than a month later, they are now...

2010-08-01_17_47_13.jpg

2010-08-01_17_47_44.jpg

2010-08-01_17_47_56.jpg

Pretty good for what would have normally been thrown out, huh?

Stay tuned!

:bravo: Way to bring those plants back. From dying to Big Bushy Plants! :goodjob:
+reps bro

Back
Top Bottom