Question on cloning a flowering plant and cycling

TheFertilizer

Well, they're not really flowering yet, but they're showing pre-flowers after I flipped them. I think this is traditionally the time people take cuts for clones isn't it?

Well, I found a plant I really like in my flowering tent and I think I just want to start cloning it, but it doesn't have very big branches right now and I'm not sure if I should wait. I understand that you can reveg a plant after flower and then clone it. Doesn't that also monster-crop it, so that it ends up growing tons of more branches?

I have 7 plants veg'ing right now, and 6 just flipped, they're all the same age I just didn't expect all of them to germinate and had to make room in the tent so I picked a final six...

IMG_20161008_201134.jpg
IMG_20161008_201036.jpg
IMG_20161008_201046.jpg

Well, as part of picking the final six, I chose the ones I thought looked the best, and well damn if I didn't fall in love. These two are Blackberry Kush and I can't really decide which one looks the best. They were planted 8/17 I also have a pretty nice Platinum Girl Scout Cookies I would like to clone too. It's in the bottom right corner of the tent.

That still leaves me with 7 plants veg'ing though, and I kind of wanted to try to cycle them but I think they will get too big in the 8 weeks of flower to fit in the tent after stretch if I planned to flower them. Plus, they're all kind of having their own problems ( all but one ) and so I'm not sure I should clone off of them, but basically my idea is I need to get some clones going now to actually be able to cycle at the end of 8 weeks.

But should I do it with these two rockstars, or the B string that didn't make the cut? I mean just in saying that it sounds obvious, but I'm not sure I want to sacrifice too many branches off of them, so that's where the idea of reveg'ing them to clone them came in.

I don't know, the cloning process is kind of new to me, I have taken cuts and like, planted clones and all that so I'm experienced with that, but I've only ever done it for other growers who had already decided when and what they wanted to clone... So it's the how I know, but not necessarily the why.

Is there any draw back to just cloning straight into soil? I've used an aerated tub of water, rock-wool cubes and a dome, but never planted them into soil. I guess you prepare them just like you would if you were using rockwool, but then put them into the soil. I've had great success using a dome and heating mat and stuff though so I'm not sure I want to screw with the success rate to save a few bucks, but I'm not sure if the dome method is just more popular because people want to make a lot of clones really fast. All I want to do is make 6, so buying a dome, a block of cubes and Cone-X seems excessive.

Well, they're not really flowering yet, but they're showing pre-flowers after I flipped them. I think this is traditionally the time people take cuts for clones isn't it?

Well, I found a plant I really like in my flowering tent and I think I just want to start cloning it, but it doesn't have very big branches right now and I'm not sure if I should wait. I understand that you can reveg a plant after flower and then clone it. Doesn't that also monster-crop it, so that it ends up growing tons of more branches?

I have 7 plants veg'ing right now, and 6 just flipped, they're all the same age I just didn't expect all of them to germinate and had to make room in the tent so I picked a final six...

IMG_20161008_201134.jpg
IMG_20161008_201036.jpg
IMG_20161008_201046.jpg

Well, as part of picking the final six, I chose the ones I thought looked the best, and well damn if I didn't fall in love. These two are Blackberry Kush and I can't really decide which one looks the best. They were planted 8/17 I also have a pretty nice Platinum Girl Scout Cookies I would like to clone too. It's in the bottom right corner of the tent.

That still leaves me with 7 plants veg'ing though, and I kind of wanted to try to cycle them but I think they will get too big in the 8 weeks of flower to fit in the tent after stretch if I planned to flower them. Plus, they're all kind of having their own problems ( all but one ) and so I'm not sure I should clone off of them, but basically my idea is I need to get some clones going now to actually be able to cycle at the end of 8 weeks.

But should I do it with these two rockstars, or the B string that didn't make the cut? I mean just in saying that it sounds obvious, but I'm not sure I want to sacrifice too many branches off of them, so that's where the idea of reveg'ing them to clone them came in.

I don't know, the cloning process is kind of new to me, I have taken cuts and like, planted clones and all that so I'm experienced with that, but I've only ever done it for other growers who had already decided when and what they wanted to clone... So it's the how I know, but not necessarily the why.

Is there any draw back to just cloning straight into soil? I've used an aerated tub of water, rock-wool cubes and a dome, but never planted them into soil. I guess you prepare them just like you would if you were using rockwool, but then put them into the soil. I've had great success using a dome and heating mat and stuff though so I'm not sure I want to screw with the success rate to save a few bucks, but I'm not sure if the dome method is just more popular because people want to make a lot of clones really fast. All I want to do is make 6, so buying a dome, a block of cubes and Cone-X seems excessive.
This is a pic I took today of our Purple Kush reveg. She was 6 weeks into flower when we took the clone. We used a dome cloner and the percent of them that rooted was ok. We now use a sprayer cloner, and have a 100% success rate. We even got an auto to clone in the cloner. I'll get a pic of it in a bit.

fb229f8596552a70949cbe04139991f6.jpg

I've never revegged a plant whilst in flower tho but hear comments on lots of additional branching...

I use to clone a lot a good few years ago when running a 2 two tent set up perpetual style & basically before putting the girls into the flower tent i would cut off the lowest limbs for clones more or less the bottom two node points as these would form small pop corn airy bud due to being so low in the canopy, kind of seemed ideal clone material to me.

Those all had pre flowers & where happy vegged with out issue's & even done the same with feminized seed plant kept as a mother.

As promised! Pics!!!

99667eb9a95839485115ebf1fbfdde57.jpg

b48e541310d4fec65d4d65e6e5fdb9a9.jpg

They come in different sizes, so you don't have to do 36. I don't remember how small they go, but 8 comes to mind.

Oh so that's what that's for! I have the same tub and styrofoam plugs, but instead of the water sprayers, I just put an air stone in the bottom of it and set the roots in the water. It actually worked really well, but I also used a ton of that "Great White" and rooting hormone so maybe that's why. A buddy of mine gave it to me and said it was supposed to be what yours is but he didn't have the sprayers still. I think I have a pic somewhere....

(That brown stuff is the hormones)
2015-04-17_11-10-14_310.jpg
2015-04-17_11-09-56_546.jpg
2015-04-04_05-45-33_937.jpg

I would have to buy an air-pump and stone again to do that though, and I'm not sure if a dome, heating mat and the root hormone would end up cheaper since air-pumps seem to cost quite a bit plus I still need to get rooting hormone... So I guess it's basically between what costs less, an air pump and stone and hormone or a dome, rooter cubes and hormone.

But aside from the how, it looks like I'm pretty good on the when, there are some bottom branches I don't think are going to do much good like Fuzzy Duck was mentioning and it's not even that far into flower so reveg time shouldn't take that long.

Of course this leaves me wondering what to do with the 6 plants... I'm going to need their pots eventually. Can't find anyone to adopt them, and I'm sure they will be too big to flower at the end of 8 weeks. I'm already topping them to slow down the vertical growth. Odd as it might sound, these might just end up being leaves for smoothies...

The real question though is should I bother getting clones off them too or just these two strong plants? I mean, I'm not really sure if it's that they somehow got better treatment or if they are just much stronger plants. At the very least I don't think I want to clone the ones having problems, because their siblings aren't, and so that just seems like begging to reproduce bad genes.

Back
Top Bottom