Quick Questions

G2Grow

I am on my first grow and progress seems to be going well. I'm using Fox Farm Salamander Soil and 3 gallon pots. I have not been able to compare this vs. Fox Farm Ocean Forest, or Happy Frog. I have 5 plants. One 2.5 weeks from seed and one about 1.5 weeks from seed. The other three are seedlings that I transplanted into 3 gallon pots WAYYY to early. My question is has anyone grown in salamander soil and curious about how the grow went. I FIMmed the largest one at the 4th node for shorter plants more tops. I will post pics and officially start a journal after I get everything set up how I want it. I currently am occupying a 4x8x6.5 tent. I have it sectioned to 4x4 for each room. One to be used for flowering and the other obviously for veg. Hoping to FIM 2x more at least and trying for 40-50 tops on one plant for biggest yield possible given my area and time constraints.

Side question. If two plants were grown in the exact same conditions save one is in soil and the other is DWC, other than overall yield, would the quality be the same if both were done perfectly? Thanks

G2Grow

the plants look great!even upside down,it looks like the dirt should be falling out!i have that problem with some pics aswell btw,sorry i cant help you with your questions :(

That soil stays wet, it's made for bushmaster nutes and "organic" grow. It's suspect for root rot if your not careful. It's for beneficial bacteria grow and will hold water like no other. I use FFOF, lucky dog is great but has no amendments added. DWC and soil will yeild different but soil has better tast.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

My larger plant has about 8 tops at 3 weeks from seed. I chose to FIM at the 4th node, which for me was early. I say that because the plant is about 5.5" tall and is essentially a small bush. The main stem is now sporting 4 branches from where I FIM'd but with all the messed up leaves it's hard to tell what's good and what's in the way. My question is in a 6.5ft high tent and 600w Mh how do I get this plant to stretch so everything's not so crowded? I've been using LST and leaf weaving to distribute light. My goal is 10oz minimum dry using these techniques. I plan to veg it for 2 more full weeks (maybe more if I have space) make a few more tops in the process. Since this is bag seed I still have to sex it before cloning and stuff. Anyways, would an experienced grower expect a short plant at this point with what I've done or should it be taller even after the FIM?

Eh, 10 zips is a lot off one plant

7c583cacdbaee4151a4c24445515be49.jpg

Small plant on right, 142g, middle 168g, far left stopped at 182g. Still not 10 zips

5df3da99377685a4399898831ce5a443.jpg

9c17e1229303b423356d0cb5e5a0cbd7.jpg

70dd4d2f6173f10843ea9c90a81a10ff.jpg

This was my 182g plant

Good luck.

Cheers

That's a good yield though! 10oz is just a mile marker. I know it can be accomplished but I realize there's a ton of experience behind those yields. I have seen 1 pounders in soil on this forum. What training techniques did you use? Was this a SCROG or SOG? My family consumes about an oz a week of crap smoke, so I'm trying to replace the expense and the risk by growing it on my own. Any advice on how to accomplish this? I know the quality will be dramatically increased over our normal schwag and hopefully would mean we will consume less. If we consume the same I'd need a pound every 4 months which seems ridiculous when talking about quality medicine.

Those plants came from clone's on Jan 2, cut at 80 days. Just single top after 10 days veg. Cut center stem about 6" down and have all flower sites at same level, current cheese shape.

96604d104bc60390264d0034e7d47047.jpg

Cheers

That plant looks amazing! Mine is like a 1/3 of that size lol.. I'll post pics after work of mine and that. Will probably give you a better idea of what I'm working with. It's about an inch taller than the pic I posted above (upside down lol). Thanks for all the info!

Good morning G2Grow,
10 oz per plant on your 1st grow is a lofty goal. I pulled a smidgen over 4 oz per plant on my 1st grow and thought I was in hog heaven, was only expecting to get 2 per plant. While it is true that there are growers here that have pulled 16 oz per plant, you also have to remind yourself these are growers with years of experience under their belts. Also those big yielding plants get vegetated considerably longer then most plants in order to get them that big. I am not saying it is not possible, just saying if you do pull it off on your 1st grow might I suggest you buy a lotto ticket also.
As to how you have you have your grow area set up I would suggest you change it from 4x4 for each to 2x4 for veg and 6x4 for flower. You will need more space for flowering then you will for veg. Even a 3x4 and 5x4 would be better then how you have it set up now. Just food for thought.

As for the size of your plant and how big it should be after what you have done to it, well that depends a whole lot on genetics of the plant. Different strains react differently. Some are naturally more short and bushy while others tend to be more leggy and stretch more. Is it a Indica, a Sativa, a Hybrid and if a Hybrid, what is the dominate strain? If I told you my child was 5'7" tall would as a senior in high school would you say he was short? Really? What if I told you both myself and my wife were midgets and I am only 4'9" and my wife was 4'3". Now all of a sudden my child is quiet big. Plants are no different.

I hope I do not come across as raining on your parade, because that is not my intent. Each grower and user has their own personal needs finding a system that fulfills those needs can be a challenge when you consider all of the variables that come into play. I know Rifleman consumes roughly an oz a week, but he is also a very skilled grower and his grow set up will vary from yours. Depending on many factors, size of grow area, lights used and amount of lights used, and many more, the list is fairly long. I remember a grower named RickyBobby who grew using the SOG Technique and was very good at it, seemed like he was harvesting pretty much all the time, but his harvests were smaller then the growers who grow larger plants. Like I said, there are tons of techniques available just finding the one which fulfills your personal needs is the trick, since what works for one grower may not work for you.
If I was using an oz a week and had limited space and limited lighting I think I would be checking out Auto plants as an option. That way you could be growing in 1 room 4x8 and start with 2 plants and add 2 plants in every 2 weeks until the room is full. Run the lights at 22/2 and then just add 2 plants every time you harvest 2. Basically setting up a perpetual grow. You can top/fim autos, you can train them just as you do with any other plant, you just do not have to flip them to 12/12 in order to get them to flower. Again food for thought.

Best of luck on your grow, when you get a journal set up, please send me a link to it and I would love to follow along.

Good start, your plants look a bit to green. N will cause a dark green leaf, moreover, that claw at the tips of your leaves that points down is telling you that your nearing the plants limit. With nutes, less is more. It will take time and experience to understand that statement but your off to a good start.

Cheers

My bad, I'm not seeing any clawing on your plants, but color is still a bit dark. It seems your doing better then I thought.

Cheers

I was thinking they were to dark as well. Then I noticed the color changes between the biggest and 2nd biggest and wondered if the larger was supposed to be darker. So less nutes should do the trick? I am new to this and experimenting with bag seed so any advice is greatly appreciated.. can someone move this thread to the proper section? Or do I have to make a new post?

I was looking at you pix and two leaves looked as one which is why I thought of the claw. Color is also strain related. But those are a bit dark. Follow your feeding schedule and start at about 1/2 strength. You'll see if you are running to light, but it's better to go slow.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom