Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

I get more power today! My breaker problems are going to be a thing of the past. When the backup generator was hooked up. They rewired some of my other outside outlets. I have 2 outdoor outlets now. I will be moving the line that was used for vehicle block heaters. Then route it up through the floor and into my main grow room. This will give me the power to run that tent and I will then be back at square one for the rest of the house. I need to do this so I can spread the power around when I start to breed again.

I still don't like the fact that I really don't have a good place to grow males or control pollen. That will never be different so I have to figure out a way to do it right. I am going to have a tent for mothers now which I never had before. I feel better about where I sit power wise now.

I have been running everything through my mind the last couple months. What I found out about the strain The New kind of put everything into overdrive. It seems one of these plants may be what I am looking for. Grow reports say this strain has good production along with the quality genetics from its parents. I don't want to sacrifice quality for quantity. From what I have read this strain has them both. So The New will be my first mother plant. Somewhere along the way. I am going to reverse one plant to make seeds. The tall pheno and the big bushy pheno are the probable parents. Which one is reversed depends on which is better. I will be taking clones of the short pheno also. It is a slower grower so I don't think I will be using it for breeding. That could change depending an the quality of its buds.

Super Lemon Haze will also be cloned. More for me than for a hybrid. I like good Lemon terps and they are getting harder to find. I want clones from both plants just in case one is special. So if one plant is good enough to keep, then it is good enough for a hybrid. From what I have read and seen most Super Lemon Haze plants are good. That makes great ones a lot easier to find. I still have more seeds so I don't have to self these yet if I don't find greatness. SLH is going to need to be selfed. SLH is by far the best lemon strain I have right now. I am going to need to self one of these plants or risk loosing lemon all together.

Now that one harvest is over. I get to dream about what is coming. I just mentioned The New and Super Lemon Haze. Just to let you know how excited I am about things to come, Here is a look at what I have in veg and flower right now.

Flowering
Grimm Glue, Grimm Brothers
Monty Python, Crockett Family Farms
California Diesel, Humboldt Seed Comp.
Xanadu, Katsu
Cookies Og, Dinafem

Veg.
Golden Berry, DNA
The New, Humboldt Seed Org
Super Lemon Haze, Greenhouse
Key Lime Kush, Katsu

What is kind of funny. I am having troubles enjoying what I have knowing what is coming LOL. "Grass is always greener" kind a fits perfectly here LMAO.

I think I ran into a iron deficiency in a couple plants in the 4 x 4 tent. Time for Lilly Miller I guess. This is kind of a first for me on this problem. I had trouble diagnosing it. It resembled a nitrogen deficiency. Except for the fact that the yellow leaves were on the top part of the plant. Of course I will have to wait till the next watering to add it though. Damn the luck.

Fox farm flower nuits have some metals in them. I just don't know that there is enough to cure it like I want. If I had started with the F.F. nuits earlier I may not have run into this problem.

This is one of the reasons I do things the way I have always did. I hate not knowing what EXACTLY is wrong. When you change things up new troubles arise. All this is fine if you know what you are seeing when you see it. Normally it takes at least a couple of weeks to figure out and solve unknown problems. That is a long time for plants to be less then healthy.

I have found another thing of interest. Watering has changed now that I am using only 3 gallon pots. While the pot size has grown. The size of my plants has been about the same. That is pretty much dictated by the tent. Because of all this one full watering lasts at least a extra day. Not only do the roots of the plant have more room. There is more soil to hold water. Plants are a bit wider with the bigger pot. I am not sure how much of this is pot and how much comes from better training. What I am hoping to see in the end. Is a bigger root ball that can produce more and heavier buds. It may take some time but I can make this work better. No plans to go back to the 2 gallon pots unless I am running clones. With a clone's shorter timeline I think the 2 gallon pots would work fine. We will see when the time comes.

THRIPS! Found my bug! I thought I had a bug problem. Then it never got worse so I thought I might be wrong. I was thinking mites and not thrips. I was in flower so I really didn't want to do anything if I didn't have too. Now they are back and a bit worse. Still nothing major so I should have no problem getting rid of them.

I also found out it is not a panic problem. That is always a good thing. I was wondering why I couldn't find any mites. I guess it was because there wasn't any LMAO. The plan is to start as natural as I can with the eviction. If they don't get the hint to go away and move on I will take more drastic measures.

What is funny. Each year or so. I run into another pandemic of some kind I have never seen before. Most are all regular indoor pests that everyone gets. The funny part is when it happens. You feel dirt and ashamed as it you did something wrong. Like you didn't do what you needed to do to protect them.

Anyone that follows me dealt with thrips before? What did you use to get rid of them?

You got to watch asking these kind of questions. It can be a touchy subject. Much like if your kid gets head lice LMAO.

From what I have heard they are more of a pain in the ass then a real problem. I hope that is the case.

I know I am going to have some issues because I can't treat the whole house all at once. I am not going to subject the flowering plants to anything that may effect them or the buds if I don't need too. I will be able to clean and treat everything else. I am sure doing it in stages is going to make things more difficult.

On the bright side. With -8 degree temperatures this morning. I won't be getting anything new from the outside for a while.

One can hope. After a slow year of regular fishing I am ready LOL. If not for my other things I would just camp out at the lake for a week LMAO.

Time to figure out where to store minnows this year. I started using minnow water last year for plants. I am not sure if I will be doing it this year. I plan to store minnows outdoors so probably not. I don't think plants will like 32 degree water LMAO. Next year I need to design a new minnow storage place.

I have tried all of the Purple Afghani so far. If I didn't have a bunch of really strong weed I would think this weed is stronger than it is. By themselves they get you high and keep you there. It isn't till you smoke something really powerful that you notice its weakness's. Each plant has it's own high. Flavors seem to mostly be similar with a couple plants showing more flavor than others. You can expand your high by smoking the P.A. in tandem. Which is great. I do believe there will be a plant somewhere that has it all in this strain.

What is funny. If someone only grew this weed. They would probably think they had the best shit ever. Effects are that good with a couple pheno's. I never do that so I notice more of the little things. I do know that the combination between Cinderella in the morning and following it up with the Purple Afghani is a great buzz.

Lemon Cheisel is nothing but average. No Lemon or Cheese to the smell or flavor. There is a hint of diesel on the exhale. That might improve in time. The biggest thing for me is the high is boring.

Same thing with the Flo F-5. Average weed with little flavor!

If it wasn't for the Cinderella plants. The Purple Afghani would have easily been the best. D.J. Short is dead to me now. Which sucks as I have lots of his genetics. I will be giving Relic one more try with the Agent Orange X Exodus Cheese BX. The plant that grew was a good one and produced well. I only got the one female so I won't judge them on it.

No it is another Relic strain. I had hoped to see more Exodus Cheese in the hybrid. It looked like a EC while growing but that is it. The flavor it has must have come from the Sweet Skunk side of it's genetics. Or one could hope anyway. The boring high is what ruins it for me. Exodus Cheese had a great high. That is why people liked it so much. Not because of the flavor. The flavor just made it more popular.

I am going to be starting a few seeds in the next few days. The plan had been to go with clones next in the 4 x 4 run. I don't know that I can get them done in time to do that. This might work out better anyway. I kind of wanted the 4 x 4 tent for personal strains anyway.

Now I just need to figure out what I am going to start. Feminized strains only for this tent. There is just not enough room to add or subtract plants both are a problem. Burnt Toast seems to be getting a lot of press these days. I think it is time to grow some. I have a Burnt Toast x Og Kush that might be good.

I have so many choices now I really need to look before I decide.

I've got a pheno hunt of my Atomic gold going. Early in bloom. But it's fun seeing a tent jam packed with your own creations. Cool seeing the different pheno's. I'm not used to having tent full of same strain. Like you I run multiple strains at same time usually. I've got 11 going into week 3

Think I'll be doing more big runs. Popping whole packs

I have decide to start doing the same thing with seed packs. Except with the feminized strains. For some stupid reason I always save 1 seed for something LMAO. Your plants are looking great!

I took a couple pictures last night. Everything is batting right along.
After a bought with iron problems. The flower tent seems to be back on track. One or 2 plants still have issues but most are doing fine. I always run into problems around this time. For some reason I always miss something. Sorry for all the yellow from the light. It seems with 2 types of light in the tent. The filters on my phone don't work as well. Normally my pictures under HPS light come out better.

The new girls are growing into their pots nicely
Things are going so well I am back to running clones in for the next 4 x 4 tent run. I am going to take a bunch of clones. I can then pick and choose which ones I want to run in the tent. Out of the 6 Golden Berry the chances of cloning the best one probably won't happen. I have to try though. I want to have as many clones as I can to choose from. I plan to make seeds and fill a tent with them if I can.

I don't know for sure I will be trying a seed run. The New has to pan out for that to happen. Other strains like Super Lemon Haze and Key Lime Kush will be saved just in case. If I decide to reverse a The New I hope to have something good enough to make a hybrid also. Between those 2 strains and the Golden Berry there is a good chance I will like something enough to do it. I hope to find a great lemon pheno in the SLH. Lemon New has a ring to it LMAO

I ran the 5 x 5 tent last night on a new power source. This is going to be great. The plan is to now run that tent on the 20 amp breaker. This will get me back to square one with the rest of the outlets. This one line is what I have been needing. I had plans to run a line similar to this when the electrician was finished wiring in the back up generator. The way things worked out he did it for me. There was a old line for plugging in trucks in the winter. It had never worked before. It ended up only being bad wiring to the plug itself. All we had to do was drill a hole to run it up through the floor. Not only do I have a new outlet. It has a extension. Left over wire is laid out under the trailer. I can reach 2 rooms with what is left over. If it is not needed I can just feed the excess back under the trailer and seal the hole.

For the most part things are not going to change much. Mostly it will just be safer and easier. Once I get clones taken I will look into how I can expand some. Pretty sure I will be starting a couple of auto flower plants. I have been wanting to do this for a long time. Which creates my new problem. Space! I have all the tents and equipment I need. With more power I can run all of them. I just need to make sure I don't have everything full when I need a space for something. I need to be able to regenerate, clone, veg, flower and breed at any time. You just never know when special is going to show up.

The strain The New is looking to be everything they say it is. All 3 plants are great in their own way. 2 have leapt to the top because of growth rate. The 3rd plant is bushy as hell just short. It is going to be a slow grower. It will be grown under LED light before long. As the big tent fills up I will move this plant and flower it by itself. Pretty sure I will veg it longer than the others to get the size I want out of it. I will take clones to be sure this is not anything "Really" special. Other than that the top 2 plants will be the ones used. That would leave me with the bushiest as the mother because of structure. Super Lemon Haze and Key Lime Kush also have great looking plants. That is based only on growth rates and structure. If potency is anywhere near what I think they will be. I will have something to make a hybrid of.

Super Lemon Haze x The New is real similar to a strain I wanted to make years ago. With genetics getting stronger why not upgrade the strains I planned to use. I want strength not consistency. A lot revolves around the SLH side. I am almost positive one of The New will be worthy of keeping. From what I found last time. Most all the Super Lemon Haze plants were good if not great. I just need this to happen again lol. Well that and the whole new reversal of my chosen female part. I am sure you guys are all interested about my new breeding ideas. The others have worked out so well :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have now figured out. My iron problem wasn't really a iron problem. Ended up it looks like I have a phosphorus abundance that is locking out the iron. I kind of made things worse when I added flower nuits with the Lilly Miller. This problem is going to cost me some bud. This is a bad time to run into problems. Only 2 will be affected to that point. Pretty sure I can run just water to pull the other past this problem.

I am still always learning. This is the first time I have really dealt with 'lock out" before. That's what happens when you change things up. I am going back to the ways things were before. I still want to look into using Fox Farm Nuits. When I get everything set up right I am going to have to start test runs so I can figure out feeding schedules without risking all my plants. Growing clones will help. At least with them I will know what works and what doesn't. Once I learn the differences I will understand how better to use them. At least it looks easy on paper LOL.

The New grow is going along excellent. These are some of my best bushes ever. Now I just need them to grow "Up" some. I am going to move at least 2 plants to grow under LED. Even with doing that it looks like everything is going to be wall to wall. I am at that point now and they still have a week or so in veg. One plant is easy to choose. The small The New is a perfect candidate for a LED. The other shortest plant is a Super Lemon Haze that was a late starter. My guess is it is going to stretch a bit to much to be grown with the small plant. I am going to look hard at the Golden Berry. They are pretty big plants. They also seem to have a sativa leaf. That may mean stretch. Either way I will figure it out. I am probably going to have to switch things up after stretch. There will be one or 2 that don't stretch as much as others. That would also mean flowering the short The New at the same time as everything else. I wasn't planning on that.

For post spawn that brown trout is in pretty good condition. I guess if that’s out of a lake there is probably plenty of crustacea and therefore a nice deep colour to the flesh? Fly fishing? Nice to see. I wish I had some trout waters nearby. Great stuff!

Back
Top Bottom