Ravenplume Grow Journal 2020-03: Video Journal, Pixie Pie Clone Gift & Bitter Sweet Pie

Ravenplume

Well, I wasn't planning on starting any new grows until mid Fall or Winter to get them ready for outside planting next year, but the day after Cratchet, Wonder Dog, and Marvin were sadly purged from the pen, my neighbor gave me a cutting he made from a Bitter Sweet Pie that he got at a seed expo or something recently.

Since I never like to turn down a nice gift freely offered, I took her in (he says these are almost always female) and stuck her down in the basement grow room that hadn't been used for anything but storage for about 3 years now I think.

RPR - Pixie-Pie - 00.JPG

Since I like to name my plants (partly for organization purposes, but mostly because I love naming and tend to anthropomorphize things even if they don't like it), I am dubbing this one Pixie Pie. This happened back on the 15th. Not sure if her roots have formed yet or not. We have just been keeping her in the veg room under 24 hour lighting with one of the 35w LED grow lamps bought on Amazon back in 2016, and a nice white light that I think may also be LED actually. We will replace the white light with the other 35w grow light soon, and put her on an 18/6 schedule once I remember how to set the timer.

Sadly, we had an instant aphid problem (neighbor is aware of it and is working on getting rid of them). She has had one dose of neem oil. Next will be a spraying down of her and the soil with soapy water, followed by another dose of neem oil. And once the aphid problem is solved, then I am going to get a couple of my Ravenplume Wildling 2019 seeds going and then nurtured down here as well. I figure may as well make better use of the facility than on just a single clone. Right?

Here is the BitChute video that mostly repeats what I just posted...

Haven't put it on YouTube yet, so no embedding. Perhaps someone here can sweet talk the powers that be into adding BitChute to the approved video sites list for embedding?

With this grow, my primary objectives are to get her rooted, get her into a nice healthy veg state, and take cuttings for further work, then raise her to full flowering with enough smokable herb to help tide over until next year's outdoor yield, since I have had my top performers this year end up being male. I also hope to have this accomplished by perhaps end of December? Is that reasonable for an indoor grow being started this late in the year? Otherwise, what is the expected time frame from rooting (or seedling) to buds and seeds when growing indoors?

:passitleft: I feel anything you flip around first/second week of October will be done for end of December, that said you have like 6 weeks to veg and get the clones. I say it can be done

RPR - Pixie Pie - Moved Temp Outside.JPG

We went ahead and moved Pixie Pie temporarily outside to continue her aphid treatment with the neem oil. In a couple days, we will give her a spraying with soapy water (Ajax dish soap). Hopefully that will finish off the aphid problem.

We also noticed her leaves yellowing real bad. That is likely because of the single grow lamp we were using down there. So, she is going to stay outside for a few days until we get the lighting better configured, but before flowering time. Hopefully some good strong sunlight will brighten her up again before going back to the grow room. I just wish I could tell whether or not she has started to root yet. Really not seeing anything that may be any sort of indicator.

And now for a long overdue update...

We nearly killed the poor gal. We kept her downstairs in the grow room for about 3 months perhaps, and sadly kept forgetting about her. When it started getting cold here, we brought her back upstairs and she is staying on my night stand for the Winter, under a good lamp and getting watered and misted daily. When we brought her up, about the only green remaining on her was one tiny crown up top, and a couple other little ones downstem. However, now it looks like she is on the road to recovery.

After a recent watering, we tamped down her starting potting soil and added some really good Black Gold from Sungro. Found a couple sealed 8 quart bags for $2.95 at the Salvation Army recently. That top crown now has really started to grow out, as are the little ones further down. Not only that, I am seeing green in the stem now, and even some of the leaves that were totally dry and brown are starting to come alive again.

Now I am thinking that if we manage to pull this off and bring her back from the dead, I am going to declare us necroplantsers (and hope that term catches on).

This video was actually taken about three or four days ago. Since then, she is showing even more green where there was once brown. I will have to do another update soon, I reckon.

Here is an update that is a long time in coming...

For the first three weeks after she was planted, we were still unsure whether or not Pixie would make it. Looks like our fears were laid to rest when the sudden growth spurt happened.

I'm thinking tomorrow, I am going to try taking my first two cuttings of her. One will be kept in perma veg as a mother plant, and the other will become next year's grow after being sexed and then quickly revegged. I am also trying a couple different rooting techniques with these. The first one is going to be dipped in this Dip 'n Grow stuff and planted in a Planters cheese balls cannister with yard dirt as well as some potting soil. The other will simply be using a slice of fresh banana as its rooting hormone, and again, planted like the first.

And come mid month, I will take another couple cuttings, just in case these fail, and try this powdered rooting hormone we have around here somewhere, as well as whatever my neighbor used for Pixie herself last year.

So, how long should it take for cuttings to root, and how will I know?
Pixie Pie-0 - 2021-08-27.JPG
Pixie Pie-1 - 2021-08-27.JPG
Dip-n-Grow.JPG

Oh, also, are custom titles a thing here? If so, I am thinking Necroplantser may be a good one, in light of our little achievement at bring her back from the dead. :D

Quick update here, as we are entering the final stretch before I officially close out this journal.

1: No cuttings survived.
2: We have a wool blanket over her remains out in the enclosure in hopes of reviving her this Summer (odds are probably pretty slim, but worth a shot)
3: So far, as of yesterday (2022-02-12), Pixie Pie has produced 3 ounces of smokable bud, 12.5 ounces of Pixie Nip (trim, sugar leaves, fan leaves, etc; ground to dust for edibles work and experiments), and 2 opportunity seeds.

The first seed is still in its germinating cup in the time lapse spot on my office nursery, next to the sprouted X2022-00 and Mister Clean Lite. The other seed is secured in a Naproxen bottle, and will hopefully be joined by a few more seeds over the course of the next week or two; which I think is about how long it is going to take to process it all at 2 to 3 branches per day (about a 2 hour job per session). Once the processing is complete, I will close out this journal with a final tally of bud, Nip, and seeds.

Alright. Unless I get a feedback from my neighbor about how the BSP sampler was I had him try out, this should be the final update.

I completed the last of Pixie's processing yesterday, which actually took the greater part of the day (started shortly before noon) as it was 2 days' worth I did, just to get it over and done with.

Total yield for this gal was:

BSP-2021 Bud: 17.7 ounces (puts me into the Pounder Club, FWIW)
Pixie Nip (Trim and other bits ground into dust): 31.2 ounces

Not a bad haul at all. Plus the three ounces of bud from Fawn makes a total of 20.7 ounces. And at that total, I think I can declare Weed Singularity, to where I am now totally self supplying. That can be confirmed around end of harvest next year by comparing my totals on hand.

That said, including remains of previous years' grows, my usable assets are now:

Bud: 20.1oz / 4 bogarts
Dust: 87.0oz

A bogart is a typical glass pipe's bowl full of bud. I did not have enough Pixie Sass-2020 left to register on my scale (minimum 1/10 ounce), so sub tenths get measured in bogarts. I did find an unexpected single seed in the remains of the PS2020. I do seem to recall Tink getting a random pollination that year, but as typical, we harvested early enough to where minimal seeds could develop. In this case, just a single, which I am declaring RPW2020, Ravenplume Wildling-2020, since it is from my 2020 grow. Pixie also produced 7 Bitter Sweet Pie Lite seeds. I had the first one germinating in a cup of water for quite some time now, but no signs of life. It is sharing a cup with a pair of Velvet Queen sunflower seeds. Once those get moved to cups of dirt, then I will terminate the BSP2021L-0 seed and try the Wildling 2020 instead, before messing around with any of the other BSP seeds.

That's all I have for now. Once I talk to my neighbor and see if the BSP worked for him, I will do whatever I need to do to "officially" close out this journal. For now, time to get everything watered that needs watered, then see what I do for the remainder of the day.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal in Grow Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you.

:Namaste:

Thanks for closing this one out. I didn't even remember this one was here. This has pretty much been wrapped into the general and perpetual Bitter Sweet Pie and Bitter Sweet Pie Lite journal.

And yes, I already have several new journals running. All I can say as far as the results went, BSP and the BSP Lite I am smoking on and pulling seeds from work as intended. Gives a decent buzz suitable for sitting out on a sunny porch with a drink and a book.

That is the best I can come up with for a review. I really need others to try my stuff if they find themselves in the area to give a true unbiased assessment.

Back
Top Bottom