Red Dwarf Auto - 400 CMH

glad to have ya along, and thanks stealth! im really curious to see the yield off her. will be a big deciding factor on if i will continue with auto's. theyre just too easy... plus, this will be the first time i ever use a CMH all the way through.

anyways just checked the trichs. im at roughly half clear half cloudy. a very rare amber here and there

shes eating up nutes pretty fast right now. feeding her at 1000 ppm every other water and shes still hungry. eating up lower leaves one at a time. (shes on leaf 3 now :p)

im going for a 4 day flush on her with 2 of them being absolute darkness. so i wont be upping the strength. looking at how her trichs are progressing im guessing the flush will start in about 7 days.

tommorrow is the end of week 7. if all goes as im planning. she will be chopped on day 60 from sprouting

I have a week 7 completion photo. Just haven't had time to come put it up.

Today is 3 days away from the completion of week 8. From the looks of it, the day before week 8 will be time for her 48 hours of darkness. And chop on day 57

Today she's 85% cloudy. 10% clear and 5% amber.

here is the week 7 end photo

last5.JPG

i complete forgot to grab a pre harvest photo. BUT, its pretty much the same, just more orange, and a little more swolen.
anyways... she came down today after 48 hours darkness.

wet weight was just over a pound, 498 grams.

so i like to find my price per gram normally. so here we go!

she finished in 65 days. lights were on for 63
price to run my 400 watt for 18 hours is $0.72
0.72*63 = $45.36
i used 52 grams of plant food at 28$ per 400grams which = $3.64 of plant food
i ran a 60 watt fan and filter for odor, and a 20 watt oscilating for 24 hours a day. * 65 days = 12.48
i used equipment i already had, and didnt end up buying white poly for the walls (oops) so ill count that as $0
so im at a whopping total of $61.48

so once i get the final weight, ill divide it in for a price per ounce.

as far as final weight im estimating between 74, and 100 grams (15-20% from my experience) (or between 2.7 - 3.5 ounces)

i think i got a deal on my meds :) not bad for 8 weeks from seed. im tempted to run 4 auto's in a small scrog under a 1000 watt and see what happens.

drying update.

i like to slow dry. so i hung them for 4 days, until the outside edges just start to get slightly crispy. then drop them into closed bags for 2 days and now into jars.

they are to the point now where the stems are still flexible, but wil crack when bent all the way over. almost there, they are at 30% of the harvest weight now, 154 grams.

i suspect 1 more week of slow jar drying ( 10 hours in the jars, 30 mins out) until its ready to cure for 1 more week. and i should have my final weight. im estimating about 4 ounces now. currently at 5.5

i took a small 1 gram bud out of the jar last night and let it air dry. so far the ash is a nice white, but still a little fresh tasting.

very very potent smelling.

so far the biggest cola is still weighing in at 37 grams. (clipped it all off the stem, but have it in its own jar.)

will do a final update in about 10-14 days with pictures.

stems now snap.

beautiful taste, and smell.

final weight is 4 ounces, 15 grams.

total cost - roughly $14 an ounce . not bad, i must say. i think i may go with autos for a while!

next grow i will try a 5 gallon container, and scrogging one. Ill stick with the CMH bulb. shes frosty as hell, and nice and dense

Just read your review, loved it! what a great plant. imagine if that's the norm and of your 5 seeds you get one real 'good' one lol. May I ask quickly, what is a CMH light?

well, im trying to decide if im going to go with another red dwarf, or if im going to drop a couple other seeds i have kicking around

trainwreck x 5
kalashnikova x 1
exodus cheese x3
5 year old bag seed x 12
red dwarf auto x4
burmese x 2

is my current stock of seeds

padox, from what i have researched, there are 2 main red dwarf pheno's, one thats bushy, and one thats a giant cola with virtually no branching. from what i have seen in journals, the bushy one is most common, and seems like the one i got.

as far as CMH, its a ceramic metal halide . Its a very controversal bulb in the sense that:

1) the biggest it comes in is 400 watt
2) it will ONLY run in a MAGNETIC 400 watt HPS ballast, no digital, no MH ballasts.
3) Very high across the board in spectrum (where HPS is high reds, MH is high blues)
4) they are not marketed as a grow bulb typically

With that said, a lot of people (probably people who havent tried them) say they're not worth the time, and they suck.

from what i found. The yeild i got off that auto, proves otherwise.

i loved it, and so did the plant, it looked amazingly healthy its whole life(probably due to getting a wide spectrum its whole life kinda like the sun), and it it produced a large volume of DENSE buds, that look like they have been covered in sugar x3. the blue light, and UV light that the CMH puts off is to blame for enhanced resin production :)

not to mention the added benefit of running the same light the whole grow, not changing anything.

from what i understand, the super HPS bulbs will outperform the CMH, BUT, we are talking some pretty small margins. and at $12 for a CMH from a local hardware/tool supply store, vs almost $100 for the super HPS from the local grow shop, im not complaining in the least. (phillips mastercolor ceramic metal halide HPS retro white incase you wanted to see if anyone around you carries them)

i for one, dont plan to go bigger than this 400, at least until LED advances more, and drops in price. ill probably stick with CMH close to forever. (this is the first time around with the CMH for flowering, but im about 80% sure next grow, will be a normal photo plant, and i will will scrog it under the 400, as well as gas lantern technique and prove that these bulbs are definetly players when it comes down to yield :)

I will also pull out a couple more stops... make sure i have the time to care for her (unlike this auto.. i had her droop on me once for under watering.. i burnt her by droppign the bulb on her around week 3 becasue i was rushed, and for about a week i had to water her every day straight becasue i didnt know when i would be around to water her next... all these things would have reduced my final yield) and i will go a little trickier into the feeding. add in some enhancers, molasses, etc ... this auto was simply a premixed plant food powder that i fed to her every other watering. Lastly... i will do a little white painting before i start the next ones... this grow had literally ZERO reflective surfaces

for now... try to find journals with 65 day auto's that yield over a quarter pound per, under a 400 watt. pretty few and far between. it doesnt prove the bulb is awesome... but it does prove its not a waste of time like some people say

Absolutely mate, proof is in the pudding! You say largest bulb is 400, I assume I could get a 200w? Heat output similar to that of other HID's? I have a 400W HPS for flower and 2x 50W CFL's for veg, they are great and cheap in every way imaginable but I find them a little awkward in my grow box as you have to keep them so close all the time.

No prob. I like to test things out. So anything youre curious of let me know. I have gone cfl all the way through. Hps. Mh. Cmh. And combos. Only thing I havent tried is led. I want to wait until they drop in price for that.

also gone with gh. Advanced nutrients. Supernatural. And canna.

hydro. Soil. Coco. Areo

so far my preference due to simplicity is supernatural. With soil and cmh. Very simple and great results

so when you started feeding did u start at full strength bloom or veg nutes?? just trying to get an idea as to where to start and how as far as feed..btw your plant and journal was a stellar and nice grow throughout great damn job bro ++++reps

Back
Top Bottom