Room on a budget?

Ducky1

So I’m looking into the possibility of setting up a whole room, two 4 pot xl Wilmas, 3 600w hps.

Only thing is I’m on a slight budget so I was thinking of just painting the room white instead of putting reflective material around the whole room. How much less product would you expect to get from painting a room white compared to putting reflective material on the walls under the setup I’ve described? We talking it has only 80% potential of a reflective room, 50% potential? Someone shoot some numbers at me

Also….gloss or matte finish paint? I’m assuming gloss?

So I’m looking into the possibility of setting up a whole room, two 4 pot xl Wilmas, 3 600w hps.

Only thing is I’m on a slight budget so I was thinking of just painting the room white instead of putting reflective material around the whole room. How much less product would you expect to get from painting a room white compared to putting reflective material on the walls under the setup I’ve described? We talking it has only 80% potential of a reflective room, 50% potential? Someone shoot some numbers at me

Also….gloss or matte finish paint? I’m assuming gloss?
Hey @Ducky1 hope you are well.
Hands down the best thing is drywall painted white.
Believe it or not flat white reflects upto 85% of light hitting it.
But here is why it's a 1000% better than plastic wall coverings.
It's not flammable.
Panda film burns quick most plastics do.
Those extra few minutes could make all the difference in a fire.
Stay safe.
Bill

Hey @Ducky1 hope you are well.
Hands down the best thing is drywall painted white.
Believe it or not flat white reflects upto 85% of light hitting it.
But here is why it's a 1000% better than plastic wall coverings.
It's not flammable.
Panda film burns quick most plastics do.
Those extra few minutes could make all the difference in a fire.
Stay safe.
Bill
Hey Bill, thanks for the reply, I remember you commented on a few of my older posts over the last year or so helping out and I appreciate it! :)

I’ve seen panda film reflects close to 100% And flat white reflects 85%. Is this any indication as to what your overall yield is going to be?

In the room I’m looking at changing it has a couple of windows that I have blinds on as well as the door, the door can’t be painted so…..it may sound stupid but is there any issue with putting tin foil over the door and the blinds of the window?

The room dimensions are probably 19ftx11ft so there’s a hell of a lot of room in here considering only two wilmas will be going in here, I’ve got one 5 extractor fan extracting to the outside of the house, think I might need another? just wanna make sure I do it right :)

Bill knows. And i hunerd percent agree. For five reasons at least.

Flat white paint

Hey Bill, thanks for the reply, I remember you commented on a few of my older posts over the last year or so helping out and I appreciate it! :)

I’ve seen panda film reflects close to 100% And flat white reflects 85%. Is this any indication as to what your overall yield is going to be?

In the room I’m looking at changing it has a couple of windows that I have blinds on as well as the door, the door can’t be painted so…..it may sound stupid but is there any issue with putting tin foil over the door and the blinds of the window?

The room dimensions are probably 19ftx11ft so there’s a hell of a lot of room in here considering only two wilmas will be going in here, I’ve got one 5 extractor fan extracting to the outside of the house, think I might need another? just wanna make sure I do it right :)
11x19 :drool: and two ladies?
Paint one end flat white and black out the windows and your going to be perfectly fine.
Ever see a commercial grow my friend :Namaste: 99% of plants aren't close enough to a wall for any reflection.
As you expand that grow you might need more exhaust but one is great for now.
Do you have fresh air flowing into the room.
Is it a basement with a steady room temp?
Or is it a room susceptible to temp and rh fluctuations?
Stay safe.
Bill

11x19 :drool: and two ladies?
Paint one end flat white and black out the windows and your going to be perfectly fine.
Ever see a commercial grow my friend :Namaste: 99% of plants aren't close enough to a wall for any reflection.
As you expand that grow you might need more exhaust but one is great for now.
Do you have fresh air flowing into the room.
Is it a basement with a steady room temp?
Or is it a room susceptible to temp and rh fluctuations?
Stay safe.
Bill
11x19 and 8 ladies being as I’ll be using two wilmas with 4 pots each! :)

Awesome, that leaves less work for me, my last few grows were in a 1.2mx1.2m tent with a 1mx1m Wilma, was so hard to work around so I’m just really thankful for all this extra room im going to have for activities!

It’s in a spare bedroom upstairs, our days outside are probably between 6-10 Celsius and in the coming weeks/month we’re probably gonna end up dropping to a lot more but no big fluctuations throughout the day or night, it’s just going to gradually become colder. Because of this I don’t think I’d have fresh air coming into the room as it would most likely turn the room into an ice box!! But if you really think they need fresh air I can possibly open the window a crack to let some fresh air in. I mean I could even draw fresh air in through the corner of the attic if need be, It won’t be as cold as opening the window I guess!

11x19 and 8 ladies being as I’ll be using two wilmas with 4 pots each! :)

Awesome, that leaves less work for me, my last few grows were in a 1.2mx1.2m tent with a 1mx1m Wilma, was so hard to work around so I’m just really thankful for all this extra room im going to have for activities!

It’s in a spare bedroom upstairs, our days outside are probably between 6-10 Celsius and in the coming weeks/month we’re probably gonna end up dropping to a lot more but no big fluctuations throughout the day or night, it’s just going to gradually become colder. Because of this I don’t think I’d have fresh air coming into the room as it would most likely turn the room into an ice box!! But if you really think they need fresh air I can possibly open the window a crack to let some fresh air in. I mean I could even draw fresh air in through the corner of the attic if need be, It won’t be as cold as opening the window I guess!
My apologies only two plants my mistake. :Namaste:
Also I didn't mean from outside again apologies I'll be more specific.
You mentioned you had a direct discharge outside I thought.
It will create a vacuum effect in the room is all I ment.
You'll need an air source coming into the room.
Or exhaust won't work.
Preferably a temp between 18c - 28c and rh of 62.
Stay safe.
Bill

My apologies only two plants my mistake. :Namaste:
Also I didn't mean from outside again apologies I'll be more specific.
You mentioned you had a direct discharge outside I thought.
It will create a vacuum effect in the room is all I ment.
You'll need an air source coming into the room.
Or exhaust won't work.
Preferably a temp between 18c - 28c and rh of 62.
Stay safe.
Bill
Ohhhhhh! My apologies! I didn’t even take into account there would be vaccum effect in the room, the door to the room isn’t air tight, would the gap in the door hinge and gap to the floor not be enough? Apologies if this sounds stupid. If it’s going to be no good then I will put a hole in the ceiling with a bit of duct to let a bit of airflow come through :)

I’m hoping there shouldn’t be any issues with the temp, I’m guessing it will be a weekly changing process as the weather changes but shouldn’t be any drastic changes overnight! Might be a case of me having to crack open a window if it is too hot in there (which I very much doubt, unless 3x600 hps will be producing that much heat)

Ohhhhhh! My apologies! I didn’t even take into account there would be vaccum effect in the room, the door to the room isn’t air tight, would the gap in the door hinge and gap to the floor not be enough? Apologies if this sounds stupid. If it’s going to be no good then I will put a hole in the ceiling with a bit of duct to let a bit of airflow come through :)

I’m hoping there shouldn’t be any issues with the temp, I’m guessing it will be a weekly changing process as the weather changes but shouldn’t be any drastic changes overnight! Might be a case of me having to crack open a window if it is too hot in there (which I very much doubt, unless 3x600 hps will be producing that much heat)
You will need a fresh air intake the same size as your discharge or larger.
For the winter you may get away with opening a window but 3 hps lights will definitely throw some heat.
A window ac might be needed.
Also unless you run autos you will need to black out the windows.
Stay safe.
Bill

don’t think you can accurately quantify difference in yield that way… go with safety as mentioned above - no plastic film or foils

as far as blinds & tin foil…. to flower they need at least 12 hours uninterrupted darkness every night, check your gear - power strip, fan, dehumidifier whatevs - tape off any indicator lights, yup lights under door, all that jazz matters greatly but like Bill I’m more worried about window - needs to be pitch black for 12 solid…. not that it matters but I like 11 on 13 off for flower

What they said. The reflectivity of your walls will have the most minimal of effects on harvest, maybe a few percent tops. Those reflective films are a waste if you're on a budget. White paint works a charm and is hands down the best choice until we can get our hands on the new 'worlds whitest paint' they just invented that reflects 98.1% of sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom