Rusting

Bmoney

Hi i have been experiencing some rusting on my auto flower im a new grower so its hard for me to identify deficiencies and Diseases wondering is i could get some help the white stuff if milk i was told that it can act as a natural pesticide and mildew repellent

Attachments

• DE0F726A-46C1-4D99-AD31-3A476870EF20.jpeg
    DE0F726A-46C1-4D99-AD31-3A476870EF20.jpeg
    586.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 8FAFF577-F867-4474-B641-271D1DFFCCF9.jpeg
    8FAFF577-F867-4474-B641-271D1DFFCCF9.jpeg
    550.8 KB · Views: 99
I have been applying cal mag i have not checked the soil I'm using FF Happy frog i water when dry with distilled water i was told by FF that the soil comes PH’d to about 6.6-6.8 but i make sure to ph the water to about that before i water

I have been applying cal mag i have not checked the soil I'm using FF Happy frog i water when dry with distilled water i was told by FF that the soil comes PH’d to about 6.6-6.8 but i make sure to ph the water to about that before i water
ah, then that is the problem. You have misunderstood the pH thing a bit. You are correct that FFHF is buffered to be at a pH of 6.7 or so when dry... that is the base pH of that soil.
The usable range of pH in soil is 6.2-6.8. Some elements are most mobile at the low end of this range and most near the middle of the range at 6.5. Magnesium is most mobile at the low end of the scale.
You should always adjust your pH on incoming fluids to 6.3 pH. This mathematically is the point where the most nutrients are the most mobile. Visualize the container of soil that has been saturated (it can hold no more water) at a pH of 6.3 pH. You essentially now have a column of water or water/nutes, that by weight has taken over the pH of the container, and at that moment the pH has no choice but to be the pH of the liquid suspended there, at 6.3 pH.
Here is where the base pH of the soil comes in. The buffers in the soil are trying to convert the 6.3 pH of that column of liquid to a higher pH, so immediately after watering the pH of that column begins to drift upwards. Also, as the level of the water table begins to fall as the plant uses up some of that water, the soil above the column of water begins to dry out. As it dries out, it loses the influence of the 6.3 and drifting water, and the pH of that dry region begins to approach the base pH of the dry soil.
With you watering at 6.6-6.8, you have already missed the lower part of the soil pH range, between 6.2-6.6 pH. This is why you are not able to pick up the magnesium you are supplying... your pH is not moving though the entire range. Adjust from now on to 6.3pH, and continue the same nutes and calmag you have been using, and I bet that all the problems will clear up. :peace::love:
By the way, and sorry I didn't already do this, but Welcome to the Forum!

ah, then that is the problem. You have misunderstood the pH thing a bit. You are correct that FFHF is buffered to be at a pH of 6.7 or so when dry... that is the base pH of that soil.
The usable range of pH in soil is 6.2-6.8. Some elements are most mobile at the low end of this range and most near the middle of the range at 6.5. Magnesium is most mobile at the low end of the scale.
You should always adjust your pH on incoming fluids to 6.3 pH. This mathematically is the point where the most nutrients are the most mobile. Visualize the container of soil that has been saturated (it can hold no more water) at a pH of 6.3 pH. You essentially now have a column of water or water/nutes, that by weight has taken over the pH of the container, and at that moment the pH has no choice but to be the pH of the liquid suspended there, at 6.3 pH.
Here is where the base pH of the soil comes in. The buffers in the soil are trying to convert the 6.3 pH of that column of liquid to a higher pH, so immediately after watering the pH of that column begins to drift upwards. Also, as the level of the water table begins to fall as the plant uses up some of that water, the soil above the column of water begins to dry out. As it dries out, it loses the influence of the 6.3 and drifting water, and the pH of that dry region begins to approach the base pH of the dry soil.
With you watering at 6.6-6.8, you have already missed the lower part of the soil pH range, between 6.2-6.6 pH. This is why you are not able to pick up the magnesium you are supplying... your pH is not moving though the entire range. Adjust from now on to 6.3pH, and continue the same nutes and calmag you have been using, and I bet that all the problems will clear up. :peace::love:
By the way, and sorry I didn't already do this, but Welcome to the Forum!
This needs to be stickied somewhere.
The most clear explanation of phing water vs buffered soil medium i think I’ve ever read.

Welcome. Glad you had help for your problem.

Back
Top Bottom