Second Grow With New 4x4 Indoor Tent Build

Well the box is bigger.
20191019-IMG-0823.jpg

The tent comes in it's own case.
20191019-IMG-0824.jpg

It comes with the 12" extension but due to the ceiling fan it's not an option.
20191019-IMG-0825.jpg

20191019-IMG-0826.jpg

20191019-IMG-0827.jpg

The zippers are a pain. This is the back top of the tent. It's hard enough to get these zippers started and after I zipped the left half I came back and saw this. It's not broken but difficult to get started correctly.
20191019-IMG-0831.jpg

It seems like a strong tent but the design/features lag behind other cheaper tents. The only other access is from the back. Unless this is sitting in the middle of the room the back entry is useless. Not sure why it has two windows either.
20191019-IMG-0833.jpg

20191019-IMG-0836.jpg

I kept the buckets attached so just need to fit them back in.
20191019-IMG-0838.jpg

Chiller and air lines attached. I used the liner from the old tent for added protection.
20191019-IMG-0840.jpg

Cont:

I'm putting both pumps (waterfall and chiller) in the reservoir to reduce the chance of leaks.
20191019-IMG-0841.jpg

20191019-IMG-0843.jpg

Size difference between the Gorilla and Vivosun.
20191019-IMG-0845.jpg

The inside diameter is larger than the outside diameter.
20191019-IMG-0849.jpg

Leak test time. :confused:
20191019-IMG-0850.jpg

20191019-IMG-0851.jpg

I tested for about 5 hours so far and no leak.

Welcome aboard Vortex. So far the two journals are the same (for the most part). Once I move to all grow this will be the main journal.

Since I now have time and no travel foreseen for the next few weeks I am going to start germinating tonight or tomorrow. Just need to go over the checklist to make sure I am ready.

While the seeds are germinating I will be working on the ScrOG screen. The simple way is to create one with PVC. I want to be able to adjust the height so I am playing around with a few ideas.

One is to have the 4 lower base corners made with PVC larger than the upper PVC to allow the upper vertical posts to fit inside the lower. Then drill holes a few inches apart in the upper and one drill hole all the way through the lower and secure it with a safety pin like below. I don't have a good drawing tool like Vortex so hopefully my description works.

61dyhPf0UPL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
6109wxGcWvL._SL1000_.jpg

I could also use the remaining tent support posts I bought from Gorilla than snap onto the side posts and attach a Flexible String Trellis. The Gorilla tent trellis has very large openings (10" to 12") based on the video on the web page which are ok for some control but too big for ScrOG. The video is almost comical. Gorilla trellis I want 3" to 4" openings.
6127g8cCkrL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
GGT_Accessory_Pole_2_grande.jpg

I've been thinking over SCRoG screen builds as well.

What I've wanted to be able to do is have one for each plant. So in a 4x4, that's (4) 2x2 screens. I also would like to be able to adjust the height. I wanted this so each plant gets its own screen, and I can chop the main stem and pull the whole thing out to deal with carving it up.

PVC is an option, certainly. I can get the side-discharge elbows for $1.20 each, and 10ft of pipe for $1.75 for 1/2"; or $1.98 each, and 10ft of pipe for $1.98. Then a 250 ft spool of orange mason line for $6. Effectively that is $7 for 1/2" or $10 for 3/4", per 2x2 screen. (I'd need 4, if not 8 of them though.)

Other option would be furring strips. (2) 8' boards at $1.50 each, for $3 per screen. Could use a bolt and wing nut to raise the legs (add $2 for the wings and nuts, if that) to extend the height up to 2ft for a screen. For multiple screens like I'm after, I would have to look at the number of boards for longer legs. Maybe 3' legs, and use the leftover 2' for another side.

Probably some other thing that could be used for the legs, too. Not like it's holding up 100lbs or anything.

Don't really want to burn $80 on SCRoG screens, but whatev. 3/4" would be the better option, IMO. A little less flex than 1/2", but the 1/2" would still be fine and save $25 if need be.

Furring strips would be cheaper still, especially in quantity. Even buying 3 boards ($4.50 total) per box, and it wouldn't need to be quite 3 boards per, as from every 2 screens, I would be less one board. Not sure what I'm going to do really.

I probably only need 4 to begin with, and not in the next month or so probably. With the auto run I'll probably just quadline and LST, and keep the center open. Not much time on those to really do much, but maybe. Not sure how I want to roll that part yet 100%.

(The obvious option is to just build bigger screens, at the expense of time to cut the plants out.)

I need two 2' x 4' screens since I have the two strains going. I think PVC may be the easiest and least expensive I will just add couplings to add additional PVC to heighten. It may limit small increments though.

If that's the route you're going, the pipes are cheap enough. Cut legs in lengths you want. 2ft high would be a 10ft pipe. 2'3" can be one 10ft pipe, and 2'6" too.

After that you're into two pipes for 4 legs.

Granted, couplers are like 40¢ each for 3/4". Probably works out close to the same, give or take a buck,.

I decided to start germinating tonight. A lady friend ask me what I was doing tonight. I said I'm going to germinate. She replied "how gross". Not sure she understood what I was doing.

A while back I wrote about how many plants. The final decision is two. One of each strain. I believe I will reach my goal of 6 oz per plant. I want to make sure I get a strong plant from each strain so I started 3 seeds of each strain.

The seeds are C99 (Cinderella99), a sativa, and Kosher Kush, an indica. Both have similar flowering times. The C99 is a short sativa and the Kush is a tall indica so this should be interesting. I bought the seeds last November and got 12 of the C99s and 6 of the Kush. I figure I may only have two more season before the seeds start degrading so I'm good with using half of the Kush seeds. Plus I like variety.

Disclaimer: I picked up some really good Humboldt County Reserve Kush last night. (26.3%) So if I screw this up, this is my official notice.

I'm using Rockwool to germinate which worked well before. I'm using filtered tap water which was adjusted to pH 6.0 using pH down. I then soaked the cubes for about 10 seconds.

20191022-IMG-0864.jpg

20191022-IMG-0862.jpg

The seeds have been sealed since I got them and it looks fairly air tight. I haven't looked at them since last year.
20191022-IMG-0865.jpg

The Kush is going on the left and the C99 on the right. I will need these pictures to figure out which is which since I forgot to label them. Friggin pot. I used the fork in the background to slightly open the holes.
20191022-IMG-0866.jpg

In goes the Kush seed and then pinched closed.
20191022-IMG-0868.jpg

20191022-IMG-0871.jpg

C99 next.
20191022-IMG-0872.jpg

I used a spray bottle to spray the bottom of the tray and the inside of the lid. The vents are kept closed to increase the humidity.
20191022-IMG-0875.jpg

20191022-IMG-0877.jpg

And away she goes into a nice warm dark place. The trick is to get to that place without one of the cubes falling over. I failed.
20191022-IMG-0879.jpg

And now we wait.

While they germinate I'm going to replace the existing top off reservoir with a new one. I have used this same one in the past. It has 1/2 gallon increments so I can see how much water is being used. This will let me know when a complete water change is required. I bought the original because it was cheaper.

-------------Original -----------------------------New
61CWjQdqrpL._SL1500_.jpg
20191022-IMG-0860.jpg

"And here we goooo." - Joker

Looking like a good start! That top off res is excellent. No wonder you decided to go back to it, those markings are great!

Over the last two days I got the rest of the equipment to get my secondary grow build started. Just waiting on the damn seeds that have been stuck on the "inbound out of customs" shit for 4 days now. "Expected" delivery of today, which came and went, but still not updated. Ugh, I hate this limbo crap. :rolleyes:

Today is day three since I started germinating. One of the Kush seeds has started and is barely showing. Hopefully I get some action from the others soon.

That's F'd up

I know, right?

Backup order should ship the first part of the week, and will probably beat that one here.

I know, right?

Backup order should ship the first part of the week, and will probably beat that one here.
Do you mind if I ask where you got the seeds from?

Back
Top Bottom