Second Grow With New 4x4 Indoor Tent Build

I took a look this morning and I have two of the Indica and one of the Sativa seeds sprouting. Going to give it another day in the dark.

I have some T5 fluorescence lights I was considering. Any comments of putting these under the main light in the tent instead?

Is it bad to have the light on them before they've sprouted? I planted my germinated seeds yesterday and put the light on? I've turned it off now after reading these, still nothing popping out of the soil. Also I'm worried the jiffy pellets are over watered?

Attachments

• 15721055026453405689916042440804.jpg
    15721055026453405689916042440804.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 25
Is it bad to have the light on them before they've sprouted? I planted my germinated seeds yesterday and put the light on? I've turned it off now after reading these, still nothing popping out of the soil. Also I'm worried the jiffy pellets are over watered?

I use a clone/seedling/germination dome. It has a riser in it, a wicking mat sits on top of that and hangs over the edge, touching the bottom of the tray. I sit this on a seedling heat mat, which is connected to a temp controller. I set the temp at 78*F. You pour water in the bottom, and the mat wicks up water. The jiffy pellets soak up water as they need it from the mat.

What I like to do to get set up is this:

a) expand the pellets with almost hot tap water, just cool enough from full hot that you can hold your hand under it.

b) let the pellets sit for 15 minutes. Yes, they will expand in a minute or two, but trust me, let them soak. (there is still a little bit in the middle that takes a bit to get fully soaked.

c) after 15-30 minutes, pick a pellet up and GENTLY give them a little squeeze to get the excess out.

d) place on the wicking mat setup above.

e) let them sit on the mat, under the dome for a day or two to let the moisture balance out.

Pro tip: expand an extra pellet so you have a good place for the temp probe off your temp controller. This gives you the best place to measure temp as it will be as close to the temp of the other jiffy pellets (that have seeds) as you can get.

This has worked flawless for me. If the seed is viable, it will pop.

The key to the above is the even moisture. The peat wicks up as needed, and doesn't get over saturated.

Today I am going to raise all the buckets 3" to allow me to turn the curved pipe to where the top of the pipe is only 8" from the bottom of the bucket. Without the risers the top of the pipe was 10" above the bottom and the reservoir would not equalize with the plant buckets. Yes I know the math should allow me to lower to 7" but there are other limiting factors. To get to 8" I had to push all the plant buckets to the back of the tent.

I bought the monitor stands described above which work great. They are fairly heavy are pretty strong. I could probably stand on it without it breaking. I put the no slip strips on one side and kept the plastic insert in to balance the bucket. It has an 1/8" lip. I only bought 12 strips and needed 20 so I would recommend 4 strips per bucket minimum so the bucket is balanced and then remove the insert. Without the strips the buckets slip a little on the stands.
20191026-IMG-0881.jpg

20191026-IMG-0884.jpg

The bucket fits pretty well and don't slip.
20191026-IMG-0882.jpg

After putting the stands under all the buckets it's very stable. When I moved all 4 buckets to the back of the tent, not one moved or re-positioned off the stand.
20191026-IMG-0888.jpg

The top of the pipe is now around 8". I filled the buckets and started leak testing. :rolleyes:
IMG-0890.jpg

I'll check back in later.

I have 4 plants sprouting. 3 of the Indica and 1 Sativa. I put the 2 remaining Sativas back in the dark and the 4 that spouted are under the lights. I have the lights pretty high to start.

Here are the Indicas.

20191026-IMG-0897-2.jpg

I'm going to use the back two buckets and then train them forward for ScrOG.
20191026-IMG-0897.jpg

I changed the top off container and relocated it to the side of the cabinet. A couple days ago I removed the back carbon filters from the cabinet, taped up the holes and used it for germination.
20191026-IMG-0898.jpg

I also tie wrapped the chiller return hose to keep me from tripping over it. I used one of these that fits into a 1/4" hole. I drilled the hole above any possible water line. (Or hope I did).
71X1ZQfFNBL._AC_UL115_.jpg

IMG-0895a.jpg

All the cables are marked with labels and the timers are set for the lights. I'll tie wrap a bit more tomorrow. I'm getting the water ready and doing final testing. Lights are set for 6:00 PM to 12:00 PM. That way they are off during the warmest part of the day.
20191026-IMG-0900.jpg

I'm just closing the top zipper for now so I can enter easily.
20191026-IMG-0903.jpg

More tomorrow. Happy smoking :rollit:

I have a humidifier that can keep the room up 60% RH. It holds 2.5 gallons and will last a few days.

20191026-IMG-0904.jpg

The water is getting close. No nutrients yet. Just working on the temp and pH.
20191026-IMG-0907.jpg

Day 2

All the seedlings are looking pretty good. I only have one sativa so I need to be careful. The other two haven't sprouted and at this point most likely won't. I forgot to mention these are feminized "photoperiod" seeds.
20191027-IMG-0912.jpg

I am getting the water prepared for when the roots are ready to transfer to the bucket. I used Technaflora for my last grow with good results and I have a few hundred dollars of it left. I have approximately 30 gallons total water but prepared a recipe for 15 gallons to see how the ppms read. I started with 160 ppms so I will be targeting 710 ppms for the first dose and increase from there. One dose will probably last through the veg cycle.
Untitled-1.jpg

Looks like its only at net 420 total nute ppm. I will let it settle for another hour and adjust. After getting to 550 net ppms of nutes to start I will raise to 1100 within the first few days of veg.
20191027-IMG-0915.jpg

I think I am about done with straightening up the wiring.
20191027-IMG-0917.jpg

I have roots coming out the bottom of the Rockwool from several seedlings. I may be transferring two lucky ones to their new home tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom