Second week of flowering cut back?

I’m on the second week of flowering and the plants are out of control, there’s lots of bud sites and the plants are overlapping eachother like a wild forest. Is there any issue with cutting off some bud sites so there’s not as many or is it too late at this point?
Hey @Ducky1 Hope you are well my friend.
It's perfectly alright to trim lower buds if there are too many.
Unfortunately you are wasting the energy it took to grow them.
But it won't hurt her or cause a problem.

Stay safe
Bill

Hey @Ducky1 Hope you are well my friend.
It's perfectly alright to trim lower buds if there are too many.
Unfortunately you are wasting the energy it took to grow them.
But it won't hurt her or cause a problem.

Stay safe
Bill

Thank you for the response Bill, you always seem to be a top contributor in all the posts :)

It’s not so much the lower buds that are the issues, it’s the top end of the plant has branched out a hell of a lot and it’s in a Wilma system so all the plants are overlapping eachother. Presumably this isn’t a massive issue but I do often read there should be a lot of space between each plant. The buds have JUST started developing in the last 24 hours, I would like to do a big cut back and trim on a lot of the plants to keep them tidier and cut off some of the bud branches as they’re just spreading too far for my liking but I don’t want to decrease the yield massively. Presumably if I cut back a few of the bud sites the energy that would have went into these bud sites will instead go into remaining bud sites? I still have 7+ weeks left of flowering so that’s a lot of time for buds to mature I guess?

Thank you for the response Bill, you always seem to be a top contributor in all the posts :)

It’s not so much the lower buds that are the issues, it’s the top end of the plant has branched out a hell of a lot and it’s in a Wilma system so all the plants are overlapping eachother. Presumably this isn’t a massive issue but I do often read there should be a lot of space between each plant. The buds have JUST started developing in the last 24 hours, I would like to do a big cut back and trim on a lot of the plants to keep them tidier and cut off some of the bud branches as they’re just spreading too far for my liking but I don’t want to decrease the yield massively. Presumably if I cut back a few of the bud sites the energy that would have went into these bud sites will instead go into remaining bud sites? I still have 7+ weeks left of flowering so that’s a lot of time for buds to mature I guess?
Yes 7 weeks will fill them. :thumb:
Your right anything removed will reduce energy used, giving more to existing bud sites.
It's OK to touch each other or overlap a bit.
As long as your light is hitting everywhere on her.
Next run train them early. :Namaste:
Avoid this.
Show us a couple pics of your beautiful girls when you get a chance. :love:

Stay safe
Bill

You're only 2 weeks in. Perfect time to strip the bottom 1/4th - 1/3rd of all growth & cut off all the small branches that will never make it to the top. Then you'll end up with something like this.
6-450.JPG

Yes 7 weeks will fill them. :thumb:
Your right anything removed will reduce energy used, giving more to existing bud sites.
It's OK to touch each other or overlap a bit.
As long as your light is hitting everywhere on her.
Next run train them early. :Namaste:
Avoid this.
Show us a couple pics of your beautiful girls when you get a chance. :love:

Stay safe
Bill
I did try to train them and was cutting quite frequently, I didn’t top any though which I’m guessing would have been a big help!

The difference in the two photos is 8 days. I find it absolutely crazy how quick these can grow!

Hopefully this photo gives a better understanding of how/why I feel they might be a bit overcrowded!

FAE5FC6A-4096-401D-9526-E00519171AD6.jpeg

217889BD-B680-4414-A2E6-CEC291BD145F.jpeg

You're only 2 weeks in. Perfect time to strip the bottom 1/4th - 1/3rd of all growth & cut off all the small branches that will never make it to the top. Then you'll end up with something like this.
6-450.JPG
That looks fantastic.

So it’s just a case of me stripping the bottom bits then looking at training the other branches towards the top and maybe pulling them down slightly so they can re adjust?

What I have looks extremely amateur in comparison!

I’m on the second week of flowering and the plants are out of control, there’s lots of bud sites and the plants are overlapping eachother like a wild forest. Is there any issue with cutting off some bud sites so there’s not as many or is it too late at this point?
No i would wait till 3rd week and yes you can trim the bottom of the plants to clean em up really good. If you have to do some hst on them your 3rd week would be the best time, there will not being any issues just try to clean up and hst as much as you can and then leave them alone and let them do there thing you will b just fine

6-450.JPG
She sure is a beautiful girl, nice buddy

I did try to train them and was cutting quite frequently, I didn’t top any though which I’m guessing would have been a big help!

The difference in the two photos is 8 days. I find it absolutely crazy how quick these can grow!

Hopefully this photo gives a better understanding of how/why I feel they might be a bit overcrowded!

FAE5FC6A-4096-401D-9526-E00519171AD6.jpeg

217889BD-B680-4414-A2E6-CEC291BD145F.jpeg
How are you liking the auto feeder’s? Its gotta be nice to have em i bet?

That looks fantastic.

So it’s just a case of me stripping the bottom bits then looking at training the other branches towards the top and maybe pulling them down slightly so they can re adjust?

What I have looks extremely amateur in comparison!
You pretty much keep the thick branches that can support the weight & get rid of the rest. Then train the branches outward a little to the shape you want the plant.

You pretty much keep the thick branches that can support the weight & get rid of the rest. Then train the branches outward a little to the shape you want the plant.
Yup totally agree with buds bunny

The majority of the info I pass on came from reliable sources like Emilya, In The Shed, Mr. Sauga & a handful of others.
I have always tried to learn from successful & more experienced growers. If I haven't tried something myself I will not comment on it. I will tag someone who might know instead. That being said I will never purposely give info out on things I don't know.

Or don’t cut the lowers and produce more bud. Lol. Y’all know I had to.
2F4496FE-DEC1-456A-9942-5922A16477A7.jpeg
D853F708-1B85-4D26-A87B-27B050D76979.jpeg

78FAFCEB-924C-43B1-AA1E-AEFF80FE29A6.jpeg

Just cropped these back, might’ve gone overboard? Lol

I could smell a very very feint burning smell in the room but couldn’t locate anything, not sure if it’s just the equipment is extremely hot and that’s how it is when you’re running a couple of lights. I have 3 ballasts and all three are extremely hot to the touch, can’t keep my hand on them for too long. I think this is the case because the ballasts are underneath the light. Usually I’d have the light in a tent and the ballast outside where the ballast isn’t getting direct light exposure making it hot. Any ideas or solutions for this or is it not really needed and I’m just being a bit dramatic?

How are you liking the auto feeder’s? Its gotta be nice to have em i bet?
Auto feeders are great however when I was veggin a separate plant and auto feeding I got into the mode of “I don’t need to check on them as they’re being auto fed. By the time I remembered I was veggin some separately via not auto feeding they were already gone :(

78FAFCEB-924C-43B1-AA1E-AEFF80FE29A6.jpeg

Just cropped these back, might’ve gone overboard? Lol

I could smell a very very feint burning smell in the room but couldn’t locate anything, not sure if it’s just the equipment is extremely hot and that’s how it is when you’re running a couple of lights. I have 3 ballasts and all three are extremely hot to the touch, can’t keep my hand on them for too long. I think this is the case because the ballasts are underneath the light. Usually I’d have the light in a tent and the ballast outside where the ballast isn’t getting direct light exposure making it hot. Any ideas or solutions for this or is it not really needed and I’m just being a bit dramatic?
Hey @Ducky1 It matters a lot.
Do something to cool them , move them , put a fan on them.
Read this thread its important.
And don't take anymore leaves at all. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill

I'm not so sure leaving the small branches leave more bud. More to trim.... yes. This was 11.1 oz. from a single plant.
Never the less, your plant does look damned good !

2.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG
Damn that’s a monster! Mine was 9.3 dry. That was my second real grow ever. First time with MC.

I always say I’m going to trim mine up like that, then change my mind.
You are correct though, extra weight vs the extra time spent trimming might not be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom