Second week of flowering cut back?

Hey @Ducky1 It matters a lot.
Do something to cool them , move them , put a fan on them.
Read this thread its important.
And don't take anymore leaves at all. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill
Thank you Bill, very unfortunate that happened to you, glad you’re okay though and you seem to be back on track!

I’ve moved the ballasts now with about 8 inches separating each one and no more crossing wires. I’ve leaned a cardboard box against a wall so they’re now shaded. I’m assuming a lot of the heat on them was caused because they’re black and they were pretty much directly under the lights, this must’ve attracted a hell of a lot of heat. I have to go out soon but will do a touch test on it just before going out to see if this has helped it at-all :)

Thank you Bill, very unfortunate that happened to you, glad you’re okay though and you seem to be back on track!

I’ve moved the ballasts now with about 8 inches separating each one and no more crossing wires. I’ve leaned a cardboard box against a wall so they’re now shaded. I’m assuming a lot of the heat on them was caused because they’re black and they were pretty much directly under the lights, this must’ve attracted a hell of a lot of heat. I have to go out soon but will do a touch test on it just before going out to see if this has helped it at-all :)
Hold on cardboard is flammable. :eek:
Use drywall please. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill

Hold on cardboard is flammable. :eek:
Use drywall please. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill
This has been adjusted now and the ballasts are a lot cooler! I think a lot of it was the fact that the lights were reflecting onto the black ballasts!

In other news I have an issue with the leaves on a few of the plants! They have gone yellow seemingly overnight!

These are only the leaves on the very bottom of the plant so presumably so big issues but is this something I need to remedy?

I’m assuming this might be a magnesium or calcium deficiency, in which case I have mag cal so may add some. I’ll usually see leaves turn like this towards the end of flowering rather than 3 weeks in. I also forgot to put an oscillating fan on them until 2 days ago so wonder if that’s anything to do with it

60381B18-11F6-48E6-9AD2-AABBCCDF33BE.jpeg

BDAFC859-A489-49FD-BB86-FCA49B1A0DBA.jpeg

I have pulled a leaf off to highlight this issue, it’s happening on both Wilma systems but the one is a lot more prominent than the other. It’s hard to see in the photo but the leaves are a lot less of a deep green than what they usually are.

It has spread to one or two leaves higher up but mainly the ones at the bottom. The ones at the bottom have black/brown patches on them too. Hopefully this isn’t a serious issue.

BDAFC859-A489-49FD-BB86-FCA49B1A0DBA.jpeg

I have pulled a leaf off to highlight this issue, it’s happening on both Wilma systems but the one is a lot more prominent than the other. It’s hard to see in the photo but the leaves are a lot less of a deep green than what they usually are.

It has spread to one or two leaves higher up but mainly the ones at the bottom. The ones at the bottom have black/brown patches on them too. Hopefully this isn’t a serious issue.
Hey @Ducky1 Hope you are having a good day.
Sorry about the ladies.
Don't pull the leaves off. :Namaste:
How is your ph and temps?

Stay safe
Bill

Hey @Ducky1 Hope you are having a good day.
Sorry about the ladies.
Don't pull the leaves off. :Namaste:
How is your ph and temps?

Stay safe
Bill
Hello Bill was having a decent day until then! Hope all is good with you!

Glad I decided to check in on them sooner rather than later though. I only changed the res yesterday and this has come on overnight, unless I somehow missed it yesterday which I doubt.

Temps are solid at 27 degrees, the room has maintained this temperature throughout the whole cycle so far. Haven’t checked the ph, can’t find my ph pen. I used one when I first dived into this world many moons ago then stopped using it now I can’t find it! :(

I got a little worried and added an extra 8ml of mag cal in each reservoir. It’s a 45 litre reservoir so less than 0.2ml of extra mag per litre. Hopefully I haven’t pulled the trigger on this and overdone it with mag cal. From my very limited knowledge I can say the leaves look exactly like images you see when you type in “mag cal deficiency” so I’ve put it down to that. From what I’ve read mag cal will restore the green colour in the leaves so I guess I’ll see in 24 hours if this has worked :)

Hello Bill was having a decent day until then! Hope all is good with you!

Glad I decided to check in on them sooner rather than later though. I only changed the res yesterday and this has come on overnight, unless I somehow missed it yesterday which I doubt.

Temps are solid at 27 degrees, the room has maintained this temperature throughout the whole cycle so far. Haven’t checked the ph, can’t find my ph pen. I used one when I first dived into this world many moons ago then stopped using it now I can’t find it! :(

I got a little worried and added an extra 8ml of mag cal in each reservoir. It’s a 45 litre reservoir so less than 0.2ml of extra mag per litre. Hopefully I haven’t pulled the trigger on this and overdone it with mag cal. From my very limited knowledge I can say the leaves look exactly like images you see when you type in “mag cal deficiency” so I’ve put it down to that. From what I’ve read mag cal will restore the green colour in the leaves so I guess I’ll see in 24 hours if this has worked :)
Find your pen:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Find your pen, set your ph to 5.8 before it gets worse.
Ph will rise making mag unavailable to her.
It's going to get worse my friend, imo. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill

Find your pen:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Find your pen, set your ph to 5.8 before it gets worse.
Ph will rise making mag unavailable to her.
It's going to get worse my friend, imo. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill
Closest thing I have to a ph pen is hot tub test strips. Similar to the ones you have for fish aquariums, this will work just the same right?

Closest thing I have to a ph pen is hot tub test strips. Similar to the ones you have for fish aquariums, this will work just the same right?
For now try it.
Try and aim for 5.5-6. If possible.
But order a pH pen today.
If your ph isn't correct everything goes wonky. :laugh:

Stay safe
Bill

it's a bit like tossing a dart where a laser is required.

For now try it.
Try and aim for 5.5-6. If possible.
But order a pH pen today.
If your ph isn't correct everything goes wonky. :laugh:

Stay safe
Bill
Just checked up with the ph strips, they’re coming back at 6.5-6.7 between the both reservoirs. Is the ph off enough to cause this type of damage and yellow colouring to the leaves?

I did have ph up and ph down solution but got rid of them because I’m stupid :)

Will see if my local shop has any ph down today!

Just checked up with the ph strips, they’re coming back at 6.5-6.7 between the both reservoirs.

that's too high even for soil.

Is the ph off enough to cause this type of damage and yellow colouring to the leaves?

yes. especially if continued.

the issue with the strips is reading them is arbitrary. it requires you to interpret the color, and how deep the shade is. either the strip itself, or the human reading it may be off. also different strips are of differing quality and accuracy, and they can change a bit with age.

i still have both strips and drops that i keep around for back up. i used them for years while the price of ph meters was unreachable. i still prefer them over cheap ph meters. to be accurate though, a decent meter is a must in dwc.

Hey Ducky1 this chart might help you see availability of your nutrients.

Stay safe
Bill

Screenshot_20220217-105314_Google.jpg

It's not perfect but it gives you an idea of range.

there's a dwc troubleshooting chart here somewhere you should get hold of. lists common scenarios, describes what is happening, and possible courses of action.

Those charts were very interesting to read, thank you both :)

I have checked on it this morning and unfortunately it looks as if whatever the issue is has started travelling upwards and effecting leaves towards the top now. Only very slightly but they definitely have a yellow tint to them, I lowered the ph yesterday and it is now sitting at 6.1 and 6.2 in each reservoir as of today. Unfortunately when I lowered it yesterday the lights had just gone out, lights only just come back on a few hours ago so have only had one feed since then so maybe this will be something I have to monitor over the next day or so. Little bit worried at this point.

The one reservoir has 4 plants on and they’re all perfect. The other reservoir has three and two of them are looking worse for wear. The one plant on there seems to be okay. Hope I don’t lose any :( I’m guessing overall yield is going to be reduced regardless :(

E0F23BD8-CBC2-4D73-BFC9-17B4B713088C.jpeg

Just looked at them again and this one very close to the light has gone a bit crispy. Should I look to cut this off?

Ended up cropping that bud off just in case it was bud rot. I think it was a bit of light burn from being too close to the light though more than anything.

Have taken a few more pictures today so I can monitor the progress and compare it to tomorrow to see if it has got any worse. If it’s any worse I think I’ll just empty the res then fill it all up fresh again.

The camera on my phone doesn’t show off how the leaf actually looks, to me it’s a light green and has some discolouring turning yellow on the third finger in that’s bending to the left.

Apologies for clogging this thread up so much. I probably would’ve made it a grow journal if I’d have known I would be popping messages into it so often but didn’t want it to end up an abandoned grow journal :)

A5EEAF3D-28A9-4CC3-9900-A2E297F1D6E8.jpeg

Hey @Ducky1 It matters a lot.
Do something to cool them , move them , put a fan on them.
Read this thread its important.
And don't take anymore leaves at all. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill
I looked at that. No leaves at all. Be hard to get anymore growth

I looked at that. No leaves at all. Be hard to get anymore growth

It’s the first time I’ve really taken leaves off my plants, I think I went a bit overboard with it.

I have looked today though and there is no further damage to the remaining leaves so I think this little scare is over. The bud sites look to be getting slightly bigger so that’s good news. Hoping I can still pull a decent yield off this :)

Back
Top Bottom