Seedlings stretched too tall?

johnrinson

420 Member
Hey
These are my seedlings 14 days after starting germination. I'm happy with progress but worried they're growing too high. Do they look OK? Or too stretched? I'm using a 600w LED and wondering if perhaps it needs to be closer? Thanks!

Attachments

• 94F3D5E1-CD23-432B-8FEB-0C1A951734E0.jpeg
    94F3D5E1-CD23-432B-8FEB-0C1A951734E0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
They dont look that bad, maybe a tad stretchy, esp the one in the back right. I would say bring the light a bit closer. I dont use LEDs but I know you do have to be careful with light distance, especially at a young age. What height is your light at relative to the seedling? I'm thinking 2-3 ft should be the sweet spot but again im a HID guy all the way so take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks very much, that's reassuring. I was conscious of being too close with a powerful light while they're a young age. Light is about 2ft away at the moment

Is it a 600w from the wall LED or 600w equivalent that pulls 100w from the wall?

Different manufacturer have different recommended distances. In general a 600w equivalent would be 20-24" seedling, 18" veg, 16" flower. That's a 100w wall draw LED.

As distance from the plant decreases the area the light covers decreases so unless you're moving them outside you'll need more than one LED.

I've just found a link to the light with a height chart. Looks like I can get away with lowering it a bit as they're beginning to move out of seedling stage

Probably around 18-20" or so at this point, also looks like you have room in your pot to just add more of your medium to make them "shorter". When you transplant you can bury more of the stem if need be at that time. Any air movement where they are at? Don't want a fan blowing directly at them hard at this point but indirect air movement will make the stem stronger so it won't get top heavy and flop over.

I do have a small fan and I noticed today it's pointing too directly at the plants so have adjusted so it's not fanning air hard at them. Good point about just adding more soil, thanks. This is my first grow as you can probably tell

I do have a small fan and I noticed today it's pointing too directly at the plants so have adjusted so it's not fanning air hard at them. Good point about just adding more soil, thanks. This is my first grow as you can probably tell

How you learn (sometimes a lot of trial and error with an emphasis on "error" ;) ), takes a long long time until you quit learning unless you stubborn and stuck in your ways ;) :rofl: but better to be more flexible as always ways to improve what you are doing.

Can also cut a slit in a straw lengthwise to make a sleeve to hold hem up if needed, as you can remove it easily once it becomes older/stronger, or a number of other ways to support the plant if an issue or a concern.

Hey
These are my seedlings 14 days after starting germination. I'm happy with progress but worried they're growing too high. Do they look OK? Or too stretched? I'm using a 600w LED and wondering if perhaps it needs to be closer? Thanks!
Look at what manufacturer suggests. I mean THEY would know. Most times its 24 for veg. And 32 for flower. Your plants are fine no need to freak. Go by what your light manufacturer says because if you listen to 15 different opinions and you go to close you're gonna burn them, stress and then your next post gonna say why my plants hermie? Leave then at 24 inches

Back
Top Bottom