Seeds from Feminized Plants

Are seeds from a female plant viable and will they produce female plants

• Yes, no or maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Frankensense

This past year I grew two Crown Royale plants in Southern Ontario (outdoors) and had nice yield and, in some of the buds, when drying and curing I found seeds. In total I harvested 12 seeds. I recently, using the paper towel method, experimented and germinated 3 of 4 of these seeds. These are now in pots and are starting to grow. I was wondering if anyone out there has harvested seeds from female plants and used them in subsequent years, and what type of experience they had in doing so. In conversation with a fellow gardener I found that he believed any seed originating from a female plant, would have the same female characteristics and therefore become a "female" plant. Comments or thoughts are appreciated.

Loaded question

Quick answer is yes they are viable

But you should reasearch seed making to answer your question

To much to type and post here

Viable yes. Stable no. It was an accidental or unnoticed hermaphrodite. Not great to have around the garden in the long term. The herm gene is present in that plant so the next grow she could push out nanners and pollenate the rest of your girls

Gorilla Glue #4 came from a similar beginnings. Lots of other great strains have came from things like it. If all your plants don't have seeds than it wasn't a full on hermie that did it. That means it could be stress related. If that is the case then you should have female seeds.

They are worth keeping to try. You may want to make sure you have back up plants just in case it hermies. If it doesn't then they should be feminized version of the plant that produced them. If it was from another plant then you will get a hybrid. If the plant that produced them wasn't great weed I would reconsider growing them at all.

Viable yes. Stable no. It was an accidental or unnoticed hermaphrodite. Not great to have around the garden in the long term. The herm gene is present in that plant so the next grow she could push out nanners and pollenate the rest of your girls
Thanks for your response. These two plants were ten feet tall and produced a fairly substantial amount of buds. I only found the seeds after drying, curing and then when grinding them up for use, found the seeds. Both plants that produced seeds were feminized and purchased as seeds from Crop King seeds. In your opinion then (as mentioned I have three seedlings from these seeds) are not worth putting into a garden to see what comes of them. Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Thanks for your response. These two plants were ten feet tall and produced a fairly substantial amount of buds. I only found the seeds after drying, curing and then when grinding them up for use, found the seeds. Both plants that produced seeds were feminized and purchased as seeds from Crop King seeds. In your opinion then (as mentioned I have three seedlings from these seeds) are not worth putting into a garden to see what comes of them. Thanks for getting back to me on this.
Hmmm well from the sounds of it i think @Jackalope has hit the nail on the head with his suggestion. If you are happy with what came off then by all means go ahead just keep an eye out in case it gos full herm

Back
Top Bottom