Sterile Female Cannabis Plants In Major Production Facilities

Yesterday I was looking for clones from one of the best clone companies in California, Dark Heart Nursery. All the links I had were dead. Upon searching I found Dark Heart Industries, the new Dark Heart . I could not find any information on where to purchase clones. I did find the page that had some disturbing information. They are selling sterile females to big producers to eliminate seeds in the crop.

No need to worry about seeds when your plants hermie cause none will make seed. One of the things i am concerned with is when the sterile female makes male flowers, is the pollen sterile? If not, errant winds would cause a massive issue with growers who want seed, or seed companies who need seeds to sell. What do you guys think?

From what I've read, the the sterile males either don't produce pollen or the pollen is not viable, same with hermies. This is basically a "GMO" type plant. It's all about people not being able to grow their own seeds and having to buy clones from a distributer (Yes you could take your own clones). Many ag companies do a version of it, you buy GMO wheat (as an example) from the AG company and grow a crop of wheat, but you cannot then take the wheat seeds from the crop and plant them the next year, you have to buy them from the company. If you do you plant seeds you grew from their seeds, you will be sued and end up having to pay for the seeds.

It's really sad what DHN did to all the loyal customers. Not even a "sorry we are no longer selling clones to the growing public" and to do this right before grow season to folks who came to rely on them is so wrong. They were a staple in my garden for many years. Went to PCG clones this year.

No need to worry about seeds when your plants hermie cause none will make seed.

actually they will hermie and make seed like crazy. it's just that the seed won't germinate. it's a gmo plant. the idea got squashed in canada as gmo seed for anything is closely regulated here.

DHN was passing around a MAC1 clone a year or two ago that was tested as a triploid.
I think they're only sterile because of the chromosome difference when bred with a normal diploid plant.
Which would mean the pollen is still viable just not with what people would be growing normally.

Some other triploid species become sterile but as far as I know cannabis can still pollinate itself and a hexaploidy plant?
Note, I could be totally wrong man. I'm not really qualified to tell anyone what's what but a little research should tell you something similar. The seeds were said to still be viable however in reduced quantity.

Canada has also done some interesting research with polyploids that is easy to dig up.
Yields weren't improved. Trichome and terpene production was maybe improved.
I think it needed some follow up research but some consumers wouldn't like the GMO aspects.

I think it needed some follow up research but some consumers wouldn't like the GMO aspects.

alot of the commercial growers are pushing for the gmo weed.

canada is where the freaking "suicide seed" was born.

it was wheat seed originally, it was a result of the monsanto seed lawsuit. some poor farmer got sued by monsanto for growing their gmo seed without paying royalty, and he essentially won the right to grow his own seed from whatever he planted.

as a result, monsanto, et. al. developed a way to gmo wheat seed - and as a side result, really any - so that the seed the plant produces won't germinate. it's fucking evil.

evil or not, there's a push by different industries to use the tech.

edit : for the moment the gov't has held the brakes. but it's already being used.

The article is from January, 2022, and is about Dark Horse and their triploid female cannabis for commercial growers. It would seem that the triploid female plants will not produce seed even if they are exposed to viable pollen.

From the article...........
Triploid seed-based plants are practically incapable of setting seed, even when directly exposed to male pollen. Male plants in the same field, greenhouse or neighboring field are not a problem for a triploid crop.

Article is at the top of the Web page and is relatively short:
https://www.benzinga.com/markets/cannabis/22/01/25320821/sinsemilla-dark-heart-produces-the-worlds-first-intrinsically-seedless-cannabis

Back
Top Bottom