Seeds wont germinate Irritating!

potgoblin

Hey guys, im new to this site but this seems to be the best place to find help from people who have the knowledge and experience so here goes.

basically i bought a bag of weed last week and half the weight of it was nothin but seeds, as im sick of paying stupid prices here in the uk for less than a satisfying amount not to mention having to deal with some less than friendly individuals i thought i may as well say screw the dealers il do it myself.

Iv done loads and loads of research on how to grow the plant germination vegging sexing flowering the works an i really enjoy learning about this amazing plant but i cant seem to get these seeds to pop!

i chose the best biggest and healthiest looking seeds put them inside damp paper towels in a warm spot but not too warm in between two plates for darkness and to retain moisture yak yak yak and they just wont show a root.

i even checked to see if they had absorbed enough water by putting them into a cup of water and all 5 sank, the seeds are not old as they were inside the bud and the bud was fine to smoke and they are the right size and colour so i know that they're mature. its bin since sunday morning and i know thats not a very long time but from everything iv read about having healthy seeds i would of expected at least one or two to have opened up by now. if any one can help or give some advice it would be greatly welcomed.

oh and another quick question, il be doing a stealth grow in a chest that i have, its all set up and ready to go i just need to get some air circulation in there but can anyone give me advice on how to contain the smell without having to spend loads on a carbon filter as i want to do this with the minimum risk of being caught, i dont want to spend loads of money as anything i manage to grow will only be for myself so im not looking for a huge yield just a small plant or two in a small setup i created myself after LOTS of contemplation about doing it and many weeks of research.

really dont wana have to buy off the streets any more guys please help this work! :thanks:

Re: seeds wont germinate IRRITATING!!

After reading a fair few posts on germination i think my problem may have been that they were too wet, so now ive changed the paper towel and 'squeezed out the excess water so theyre are damp not soaked, iv also added 1 fresh seed so that if in fact i have over done it with the water the new seed should be the first to sprout that is if the other 5 are no longer with us :( hopefully i havent wasted 5 nice seeds :p

Re: seeds wont germinate IRRITATING!!

PH the water you use to germinate. I place the seeds in PH'd water for 8 hrs or so.
Then transfer into a wet papertowel. I then place (towel) inside a baggie with foil loosly wrapped around that to keep the light out. I place it on my cable-box for 24-36 hrs. I check them once or so to let fresh air in the bag. I don't wrap the towel or baggie tight. I leave a bit of air inside. I have it to at least 85% for good sprouters.
Can't give tips for odor control... my house smells like weed right now.
Good luck

hey lingus thanx for the advice :) what would be the ideal ph for the water i put the seeds in and for that matter the soil? and would the ph testing strips or the bottled ph testers used for aquariums be ok for this?, i mean i know i could test the ph of the water with those kind of kits but really not sure on how to test the soil lol i tried searching on the soil bag but it didnt say anything about ph unfortuantly.

cheers again

and haha i unfortuantly wont be able to have the luxury of a nice weed smelling house =[ air fresheners could make a fortune!

Ph the water to 5.8 - 6.0 range.
I have a meter but I don't trust it any longer so I use the liquid drops Ph tester.
See what the range is for the aquarium tester(s). I think they're on a different scale. Not sure.
I know little, if anything, about soil growing. I beleive you measure the run-off Ph for dirt grows and it should be a bit higher (like 6.2-6.5). THe run-off is what comes out of the bottom of the pot.

fantastic advice thankyou :D the ph testers for the aquariums are droplet testers and range from about 5 to 9.5 10ish, the good thing about those is there are plenty of places where that tester kit would be available to me, if the current seeds wont germinate i will certainly give your method a go and send some feedback on how i get on :)

thanx again lingus

A hard lesson to learn is that patience is often the solution to your problem. Just give it time. Although adjusting the pH of your water could help it is not all that important in my opinion. I use water strait from the tap with no issue. As far as the paper towel being too wet, i don't buy it. The way i germinate seeds is to put them in a glass of water until they show a tap root. Works every time.

There are a lot of good threads on odor control in the DIY section of this forum. Here are a few to get you started:

DIY Odor Control Bucket

DIY Can-Filter

Both of these designs can be modified to suit your needs. I am currently using the odor control bucket in the first link. It works well but the ONA doesn't smell very pleasant.

Good luck and happy growing.:goodluck:

finally after 8 LONG LONG LONG days and me practically giving up i checked the seeds this morning and 2 of them have cracked!!! they're both only showing a small split and i can see white which im guessing will be the tap root about to come out and with my fingers toes and everything else crossed soon they will have the root so i can plant them :D then again 2 out of 11 germ rate and thats taken over a week, think i may germ the rest of them all at once as i have a strong feeling im only goin to have a few special seeds that will do anything at all n half of those could be males :p

any advice for what to do next with these 2 special seeds very much wanted please :D

Back
Top Bottom