Smaller growing space

It would be best to mount everything where it needs to be. While you won't need all that light right a way you will see what kind of heat it will generate. If temps are okay with all them lights running you might be alright. Then you can go with just the HPS tell the LED's are needed for additional or side lighting. As the plants grow temps will go up. The more plant mass that is in the room the higher humidity and heat they will get.
As long as you have a good filter. I don't see anything wrong with tapping into the bathroom vent. I use a old heater vent in the basement for mine.

It would be best to mount everything where it needs to be. While you won't need all that light right a way you will see what kind of heat it will generate. If temps are okay with all them lights running you might be alright. Then you can go with just the HPS tell the LED's are needed for additional or side lighting. As the plants grow temps will go up. The more plant mass that is in the room the higher humidity and heat they will get.
As long as you have a good filter. I don't see anything wrong with tapping into the bathroom vent. I use a old heater vent in the basement for mine.
yes i will take it one step at a time I used one Led set a little high to get my seedlings going not to use to much light at first. They are just starting and do not need as much just yet. Thanks.

The 4 Led lights say 400-600 watts but that is not true watts. they actually will only draw about 650 true watts all together that is why I am trying a HPS system.
Hello, Just Starting! Interesting subjects you are experimenting with! I have grown under 1,000 watts HPS and T5 4Ft. Grow bulbs. lights for years. I have not grown Blue Dreams yet. Just started experimenting with LED fixtures (Platinum). Recently I have tried Cosmic Glue(nice), Jawa Pie(also good), Blue Tangerine(all photo plants) and White Widow Auto Flowering( real nice and that under T5 alone!). I agree with the other guys who indicate they feel it may be something other than the lights. With a good hooded and vented tube fixture HPS 1000 watt turned down to 600 watts near the end ,I have successfully harvested nice crops that finished just a scant foot below the fixture, with a few buds a little toasty that got within a few inches of the tube! My limited LED experience is promising, growing nice plants with possibly extra terpines and oil. I think you have plenty of light from the LED's, but may need to dial in the right distance(at the different growth stages) from the plants with them. Also they may not cover adequately plants that are not almost directly below them. All of this said, and I also agree with, the genetics may be at play. Solid advice to keep the plants spaced close under the lights, but the lights close together, as well! I would like to hear what you decide and how things go in the future. Keep working at it and best of luck!

Jackalope's advice sounds solid to me! I keep my grow temps well under control, with lots of ventilation and circulation. But a word of caution, be aware of where your vent dumps the "perfumed" exhaust! Some folks in my community got busted about a year ago because utility workers clearing limbs away from power lines in front of their home, smelled their crops odor, coming from a "dryer vent" located on the side of their house! If you are close to neighbors or the roadside, be sure and filter well ---and vent away from those directions! Even, where legal you may entice thugs to rob your home!

Charcoal filters while expensive should be used at all times. Yes you can grow without them. I did for years. I also ALWAYS had problems with smell. With the strains I was growing the whole house would smell during flower. Heck with the outside anyone entering my house knew. Back then I could never have friends over. A visit from any unsuspected person put me at risk. Even in a legal state there are risk's you need to protect yourself from. I have found even when lights are off the smell from the tent well get out and permeate the house before the lights come back on. Because of this I run them 24/7. I have had some very stinky strains in full flower right under the living room with out it being noticed. Bills are higher but risk's are lower easy trade off for me. Plus you are keeping new air coming in the tent at all times.

Thanks for throwing out about the charcoal filters, Jackalope! Meant to mention them. Also remember to change them out, at least, as often as the manufacturer recommends ! Trust no one! I even keep my spouse in the dark, for both our good! I mean only your most trusted blood brother, if you must have help, or your spouse, but then, if she knows she loses denial ability. Legal grows should be just as concerned about security as those in areas that ban the crop! Thugs/stupid people will rob you of your crop, money and maybe your life. If no one can deduce your growing, your at no more risk than your neighbors of being a victim of criminals. Your good friend and smoking buddy may blab about how good your pot is to his crowd and the next thing you know you may be visited by the local crackheads looking for a way to cash in on your work!

Thanks for all your replies. I have the 600 watt HPS but now I have to figure out how to control the heat in the room, the room is air conditioned and I have two windows in the room but they face the street in front of the house. I do have the plants directly under the LED lights with Mylar completely around on the walls. I Have four foot side walls built around them with about three feet open on top to let the heat escape. two fans blowing at all times one blowing in air and one blowing out. The room itself is about 20 X 15 feet. I do have a charcoal filter but it is not big enough to control the smell of the whole room and really need to get a bigger one. It blows into the bathroom downstairs. But in do time I will get it the way it needs to be, it only takes money right.

Just Starting, I restarted growing after a forced retirement for health reasons. I did not have any extra cash to spend at the time, so I can relate to the need to walk before we run! I did a similar set up to yours for growing autos (due to no tent or proper grow room, I could not control stray light from coming in). I used a 6 bulb T5HO fixture for light , surrounded with bubble foil only and a desk top fan. I was successful in growing surprisingly healthy plants with a fair yield of solid buds in the corner of my bedroom! However, you should plan to construct a grow room or purchase a tent ASAP. You should not have problems with temps with an air conditioned room and good air circulation, but odor and light control is important! Regular plants as you know require a dark period and will not tolerate stray light intrusions during that period. Autos no problem on that score,but very important to control the odor. A decent 4x4 tent can be had for about $100 (I got a vivasun$109 delivered) a few years ago and it is still working great! do at least grow low odor crops for now. Northern Lights is low odor and decent weed. Before I got a tent and large charcoal filter, you could smell maturing and drying auto plants in a tight well built insulated building from about 25 feet outside the building,before you even got on the porch! Freaked me out, I rushed to get a proper setup! Good luck and happy growing!

I might have to put a couple of 8 inch carbon filter in line and have the exhaust go into the downstairs bathroom and if there is no smell try to fine something like a flower troth to block the window and go from there after making sure there is no odor. I am really excited to get my HPS light system hooked up and going to compare the two. Right now my Skunk #1 and Blue dream are loving the cob Led lighting. I just started them and at about 4 inch tall they are very stocky with massive green and some light blueish leaves which are pretty cool. I have them in Fox farm soil mixed with a little organic nutrients. With this new light I will open up the other half of my grow space which in total is about??? 4 X 8 feet and will have three fans going one blowing in and two blowing out and dispersing the heat. The basement smell control is actually very good since I can shut the doors to the bedroom and the basement. If need be I can completely close in my grow room. The room is only about 7.5 feet tall and I framed in the grow room with 4 feet mylar covered walls with the last three feet open if needed, the last three feet at the top of my grow space I built the walls are on hinges so that I can open it or close it if the heat got to bad. I would like to use the window though since it is just about three feet away from where the HPS will be, just will have to block it and frame it in from the insides. But first test to see what a bigger carbon filter will do to cover the smell in the room.

They make window mounts for in room air conditioners. All they have is a hose connection that goes in the window. I use one for my air conditioner. These will work but are best out of site like you mentioned.
While you may have things under control now. Smell and heat are fixing to go through the roof when your plants start flowering. Some don't smell much early on. That all changes when they start finishing up. Even low smelling plants can make themselves known. One day you will have a hidden grow. The next day it smells like your house hit a skunk.

yes it did that on my last grow. The only thing I can do is invest in a good carbon filter and test it first. After thinking about what you just said about an Ac unit I do have a window unit that is broke, I could gut the insides out and put that in my grow room window for concealment once I have the smell under control.

This is what I built for a grow room and yes my first time I used florescent lights just to see what I could get to grow since that is what I had at the time. They closed the plant down where I worked at for 23 years and did not have the money to buy lighting, but hey I enjoyed the he-- out of it and now here we are. These are the plants that I grew when I got the LED, look at the buds they produced. At that time I thought that was pretty awesome these are Incredible bulk and Kripple Roulette

Attachments

• July 19-2017 002.JPG
    July 19-2017 002.JPG
    530.2 KB · Views: 129
  • July 19-2017 004.JPG
    July 19-2017 004.JPG
    673.9 KB · Views: 143
I just started playing with LED lights(platinum) a couple grows back. They produce nice results! I will try a few cobs in the tent, soon, next time I can spare some cash! HPS and LED both produce quality buds for me. The T5HO fixtures will not equal them in production or terpines/taste, but still make two or three ounces of good smoke from Autos ! I have the HPS set up in my tent, the LED is in a small grow space I built up with foil bubble foil insulation, its own fans and filter. A T5 HO, 6 bulb fixture, used primarily for starting/vegging of plants for my cannabis grow and my vegetable gardens, is set up nearby on a workbench with just a fan. It all works well for me. I use "Can-Lite" brand 8" filters. The outer room were my grows are set up is air conditioned with a window unit, that is over sized for the space, that also supplies supplemental heat when rarely needed here. I first grew with HPS with my brother in 1975, no question as to their ability to grow great Pot! The heat has not been too big of an issue with me since I started back growing, using a sealed tube vented HPS reflector in an Air Cond. space this time. Back in the old days, we used an old barn without AC and had some trouble growing in the heat of July and August even with tons of air circulating. I am sure you will see good results with your new cob lighting.

LED's have good penetration and produce nice buds, no doubt! I am eager to try COB's! I am still loathe to give up the HPS, yet, if for no other reason, than to get more use out of the $$ spent already! My retirement is lean, even working a part time job and market growing melons/veggies locally. If I could stop myself from giving away so much produce , I might get the COB's quicker! Has anyone smoked Lamb's Breath Sativa, reportedly Bob Marley's favorite? I found it available as an Auto and I just started some seeds. I figured if Bob liked it,it must be good, right? I'll let you all know how it turns out!

LED's have good penetration and produce nice buds, no doubt! I am eager to try COB's! I am still loathe to give up the HPS, yet, if for no other reason, than to get more use out of the $$ spent already! My retirement is lean, even working a part time job and market growing melons/veggies locally. If I could stop myself from giving away so much produce , I might get the COB's quicker! Has anyone smoked Lamb's Breath Sativa, reportedly Bob Marley's favorite? I found it available as an Auto and I just started some seeds. I figured if Bob liked it,it must be good, right? I'll let you all know how it turns out!
I have tried Lambs breath in Colorado and really enjoyed it. I have the reload Cob brand if I spelled it right 400 watt each but really only put out about 150-200 real watts they were very reasonable and this is what I grew with them. Here are my first LED grow Incredible Bulk and Kripple roulette which people really liked surprisingly. here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• July 19-2017 002.JPG
    July 19-2017 002.JPG
    530.2 KB · Views: 115
  • July 19-2017 004.JPG
    July 19-2017 004.JPG
    673.9 KB · Views: 129
Quick question to everyone. If I go from a 1 gallon pot to a three gallon pot just before I switch to flower using fox farm soil would there be enough nutrients in the soil to where I don't need to add any nutrients to try and keep it all natural. Plus I have done a little research on how some people use carbonated flavored water diluted down that said it helped give the plant a better flavor and helped add a little co2. I am not a chemist obviously but just wondered if any one has tried this or knows someone that has? I know back in the old days they use molasses.

When you work everyday just to try to make a living.
To take care of your family you just keep on giving.

I find what relaxes me is to go down stairs, go into your grow room and pull up a chair.
Look at the plants that you started from a seed, you have grown what others may need.

The anticipation of tasting your hard labor with sugar covered buds you savor the flavor.
You think about the goodness that is to come, I have no patience and say to hell with it and roll a fat one. Based upon a true story lol. Have a great smoke day

I have tried Lambs breath in Colorado and really enjoyed it. I have the reload Cob brand if I spelled it right 400 watt each but really only put out about 150-200 real watts they were very reasonable and this is what I grew with them. Here are my first LED grow Incredible Bulk and Kripple roulette which people really liked surprisingly. here are a few pictures.
Looks nice! Off to a good start with the new COB lights! White Widow Auto and Amnesia Haze auto among the last I have grown and liked enough to grow again. Looking forward to enjoying some good Jamaican again! I will be trying COB's soon, I hope!

Quick question to everyone. If I go from a 1 gallon pot to a three gallon pot just before I switch to flower using fox farm soil would there be enough nutrients in the soil to where I don't need to add any nutrients to try and keep it all natural. Plus I have done a little research on how some people use carbonated flavored water diluted down that said it helped give the plant a better flavor and helped add a little co2. I am not a chemist obviously but just wondered if any one has tried this or knows someone that has? I know back in the old days they use molasses.
It is generally , agreed that transplanting autos is best avoided, by planting in the finished size desired. Any bobble, root loss may slow down development, that s not likely to be made up later! However done very carefully in about the first three weeks , it can be successful. I do not use commercial soil mixes, but also generally speaking, it is a good practice to administer a mild foliage/soil application of liquid fertilizer at transplant. I suggest Nature's Earth Fish(2-4-1 and SaltwaterFarms, Sea Com PGR (Seaweed Concentrate, 0-4-4) at 1/2 rate, or most any good fish /seaweed fertilizer, should do fine! They both have been used by commercial market growers and amateur gardeners for many years with great success, as well as by myself, and on cannabis plants by the hundreds! Never heard of the carbonated water thing. I think the flavor is primarily in having a healthy grow, that supplies all the micro nutrients in a medium that makes them readily available.Things like molasses , etc. may at times supply things that are missing in quantity enough to overcome PH issues, I believe. co2 is nice to supplement if possible, but don't worry about it! In a decent set up with good air exchange, plants get what they need from our natural atmosphere in sufficient quantities! In intensive hydro culture it can be helpful in increasing yields, but may not be cost effective (equipment/materials cost) for the small hobby grow. I have composting worms in my outer grow room area and feel the decomposition processes increase co2 a bit, though I have never tested for it. Enjoy some bud and enjoy your growing!

Thanks for the response from everyone. right now I have Blue dream, Skunk #1 and Gods gift going under the COB LED and the plants are just loving it. After topping them off they are really getting thick. My next question is when the branches that go off the main stalk get a little bigger is it ok to top them or just leave them alone. I really want to get a short but really thick plant is my goal.

Back
Top Bottom