Smaller growing space

I top photo plants several times, most often. However , auto plants I often leave off more topping, after the first topping, never topping after they start flower. I use LST only, after they begin to flower, indeed sometimes I don't top at all on auto grows, just for the ease of it, and by growing a couple extra plants closer together in the tent have got almost as big of yields as the most diligently worked autos from the same space, doing neither, topping or LST! Still a well worked plant with it's multiple of coke bottle sized buds is so pleasing! Feed 'em, water 'em and smoke 'em! Top early,and LST well, it works! Do too much fiddling or topping to an auto and you will reduce potential yield, because they don't have the time, usually, to make up for too many interruptions/disruptions in their race to maturity! Having said that some newer varieties do have a lot longer maturation timeline and you may can top twice or maybe thrice! I have sometimes, but the LST also encourages more bud sites to develop, while not significantly slowing the race! Anyway, experiment and have fun!

well the plants under the COB LED lights look great butttttttt, I am going to try something different. I grew the plants in vegetable stage with the COB lights and switched them to the 600 watt HPS light for flowering. The HPS light is new and I wanted to see what would happen. I am trying a nutrient that is mainly made up of fish fertilizer called garden rich plus fox farm blossom bloom. I will get pictures this weekend to get your input. This is just a trial I wanted to try that could bite me in the A__ _ later on but hey you never know, it could turn out awesome as well.

Ok I lied I am going to put the pictures in now before I go to work. One picture is 8/23/18 and the other one is 9/2/18 or around that time. they have really grew a lot in a short time. The taller plants are Blue dream and the medium size plants are Skunk #1 the shortest is Gods Gift.

Attachments

• 2018-08-07 16.19.26.jpg
    2018-08-07 16.19.26.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 2018-09-05 11.12.04.jpg
    2018-09-05 11.12.04.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 245
Well its been a couple of weeks since i have updated my grow. The plants under the HPS look good but I did keep two of the same kind under the COB LED lights and I hate to say it but I think the two plants under the COB's are doing better to my surprise. I am truthfully surprised they are taller and stockier and the buds are just a little bigger so far. I am curious now about the taste.
I do have a question about drying the buds out. I trim my buds up and hang them up to dry. But a friend of mine said to put them in a plastic bag and dry them does this work better. Now after drying them I cure them in quart size jars for about a month and sometimes they turn out good but sometimes I still get that grass smell in a few different strains. I had some of Dr Kripples genetics like Incredible bulk and kripple roulette and they were great but I also ordered Blue Kripple and it turned out really bad. The buds were very fluffy and it smelled like grass and had to through it away.

Ah the Cure. One of the most important parts of the equation. I think your friend means to use the plastic to sweat out water after the buds are already dry. Do not put them anywhere near plastic tell they are. I have found that plastic works better for some strains to sweat out the lat bit of moister. Jars sometimes let small amounts of moister stay in the stem. Then after a second air dry I put them into jars.

I have found grassy taste comes from harvesting to early or to fast of a dry. Sometimes it is just the strain. If plants don't thrive then their terepene levels may not be where they need to be when harvested. Some strains just don't thrive in all situations weather it is light, soil or some other factor. Land race and sativas fall into this category.

Has anyone tried curing in a cooler climate? like putting the jars in a brown bag in the refrigerator so that the light cant hit it. Wouldn't the cooler temps slow down the cure? And would that give it a better taste over all or am I wrong on thinking this. Now the big question, When is the best time to start drying your buds? I did mine the last time when about 25% was amber and the hairs were all red.

Well here is a picture of the girls at about four weeks into flowering. Not great but not to bad I guess. This is the blue dream.

Attachments

• 2018-10-02 22.37.17.jpg
    2018-10-02 22.37.17.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 2018-10-02 22.36.05.jpg
    2018-10-02 22.36.05.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 247
Here is my Blue dream and Gods gift buds at 6 -7 weeks. The hairs are just now turning red. The Gods Gift has a really great smell to it, A little different then anything i have tried. Does anyone know when the best time is to harvest the blue dream or has any experience with it. Anyway all comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2018-10-19 12.22.14.jpg
    2018-10-19 12.22.14.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 2018-10-19 12.22.22.jpg
    2018-10-19 12.22.22.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 2018-10-19 12.23.32.jpg
    2018-10-19 12.23.32.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 261
Also does anyone have any thoughts on curing the blue dream? Does anyone use plastic bags or quart jars. I have never tried the plastic bag method, I just was wondering what would be the best cure from someone that has grown the blue dream strain. thank you

I have found that plastic brings moisture back out to the leaves faster better with some strains. I have found strains that were cured only in mason jars that held moisture in the stems long after I expected it. A good reason to always check your jars.

The Blue Dream I grew cured as any other. The only thing that may be worth mentioning is the fact that Blueberry is one of the strains that store really well. Some Blue Dream should carry that over in the cross. Mine stores really well.

OK i am into my third day of curing. The drying stage was about 6 days. The curing buds smell pretty strong almost like the starting stage of that grass smell, so i took them out and let them dry for about six hours. They do not feel moist at all. For the two day I burped them about every four hours and then now about twice a day. but can anyone tell me If I am doing anything wrong or will it have a stronger order at first then start to smell better? any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you don't have one, get a humidity gauge! :(Plastic bags is most likely a mistake at most stages of curing! Trim up your buds, air dry on a rack or hanging for a bit (usually about three/four days or so, depending on room humidity, in my room. Then place them in a cardboard box (or a heavy paper bag if no box) and watch the humidity levels a couple times a day. They may dry out a bit fast in a real dry room,so close up the box or double/triple bag in paper if needed. Stir/fluff up the buds when you check them. When the stems snap instead of feeling like rubber or the humidity falls to about 65 to 66% you can consider moving buds into jars and burping them/checking humidity meter two or three times a day at the minimum, at first. If the humidity rises in the jar more than the humidity level in the box was, after putting them in, open it up! Slow but carefully monitored daily until the humidity in the jar is below about 60%.:yummy: Usually, it is ok at that level of moisture to enjoy smoking them and relax a bit about mold. I live where a dehumidifier is a very helpful tool for the grow and the cure room, I use a large one with a couple gallons water capacity between emptying. I set it on the desired room humidity and empty as needed.If the cure is going too fast, I suspend the use of the dehumidifier and leave the jar sealed, just keep on monitoring the humidity in the jars. Remember, that below 50% moisture, pot begins to lose quality rapidly and pot begins to lose THC with time as well, so use it/share it as soon after cured as possible! :rollit:

:peace: I should say, I learned about curing and growing photo period plants before the days of the internet, and did not have humidity meters or ready research to reference. It use to be mostly by intuition and trial and error learning for most of us older people. There are certainly better guides available on line today than I can offer,more precise and better stated, perhaps! My observations are tested in my environment and trusted to my sometimes faltering memory! The newer auto flowering crosses have been a newer learning experience for me, but an enjoyable one, that makes it easier for more people to grow their own cannabis! No formula or outline for growing and curing is all inclusive, simply because there is too many variables and new things are still being learned , all the time! :)If one loves their crop and checks on it daily and reacts to the needs of the buds in a timely fashion, all is likely to go well! For the less experienced, read, read, read and grow ,grow and grow! Keep an open mind and experiment with techniques. You may find different methods will be better for you at different stages of your life or at various times, due to circumstances changing ,or your taste/preferences evolving!:rollit:BTW, I endorse organic growing of food and smoke, as my preferred way to grow, since about 1991 for cannabis and 1985 for food! I might could get a bit more with commercial chemicals, but I like the assurance of natural imputs for giving the best nature intended, without poisons, or Mansanto!

well it has been a while since my last post. I am done with my second grow and could not be happier. Everyone of my plants dried and ended up with a great cure. When you have friends that have smoke the god plant for over 30 years and they all tell you that it was some of the best smoke they have had for a long time that is a really good feeling after all the time and effort you have put into your grow. I have learned and studied for hours on how to grow but the best advise I got was from other growers like the people on this site. I cannot thank you guys enough I really do appreciate the patients with answering all my questions. I grew quite a few different types this time trying to find what I preferred and what other people liked and I narrowed it down to three. I grew Blue dream, God gift, master kush, skunk #1, purple haze, lemon pineapple and Sapphire O.G. everyone liked them all but the three that really took their breath away were purple haze, lemon pineapple and sapphire O.G. My favorite and recomendation is Sappire OG it has a great after taste that left everyone almost speechless. The purple haze was a tight second and was a beautiful plant with grape colored buds and taste. Anyway I just wanted to say thank you for your advise it really did turn a ok grow into a great grow. I had a great yeild as well with buds about the size of a baseball and some bigger. thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom