Sobriety Test

Schnookie

Functional alcoholic.

That's the word that has described me for the last 30 years. Well, 32 years maybe.

I'm testing myself this month/year to a Dry January with some others with regards to alcohol and have now decided that I am going to include cannabis as well. It's a few days in, yeah, that's ok...

I can't even begin to recall the time that I didn't have a drink for a month. Probably never in adulthood. There's been very few intervals where even a week went by without alcohol. It's been so ingrained in my life since, jeez, my first drink was when I was 13. I had tasted beer before that, but never "drank" until my sister had a party in high school and I was drinking 7&7 until I passed out. I really didn't drink much at all for a few years after that. but once college and 18 years old & away from home took over, I was hooked. I grew and dealt in college also so went at least 5 years straight there with drinking and getting high daily. I recall one situation where I was challenged to go out and party with friends and not drink that night. I do remember it being an amazing, fun night. Think about that - I remember when I DIDN'T drink...and that situation was 26 years ago.

I'm 50 now so I guess introspection is happening.

So, having made this decision to be sober this month (and we'll see how long after if I choose), I included cannabis because I think I need to remove as much "external influence" on my mind and body as I can. I can certainly remember intervals without weed...there were years that I was dry of cannabis. Alcohol is just so much more easy to obtain in the south.

I've still got a grow finishing up and a journal which will be a few more weeks so there ought to be updates and a smoke-test this quarter some time.

Peace! :peace::thumb:

Wishing you success on what can be a difficult journey.

At this point I don't think I'll be fully quitting after this month, but I'm sure I'll have a different perspective. I make my own beer, but I probably drink too much, as I've gained the weight for sure, from that. That weight gain led to faster damage to my knee which led to less exercise then knee surgery and now the choice to be healthy or not. Once the weight comes off and the stamina and endurance come back from additional exercise - which has already begun with tennis and pickleball season picking up again shortly - I'll decide how if or when I'll integrate drinking back. I am fully aware already that each day is a choice...multiple times a day in fact!

As for cannabis - I'll get back to that next month almost certainly. :hookah:

Habits are hard to change. The biggest thing is it takes time for the changes to kick in. For me I found short breaks were the easy part. I always knew I could fall back into my old ways in time. The thing is, that first month is the tough one. After that it gets lots easier. That is where it starts to become a lifestyle change. It all matters how much drinking is effecting your life. I quit drinking for lots of reasons. The biggest one being I felt it was to much a part of my life. Health, weight and alcoholism finished out the reasons. Past generations of our family men have died of alcoholism. That's just me. Everyone needs their own reasons.

You mention quitting everything and clearing your mind for a month. Things like this are always good. It can be humbling though. I found the fact that my mind kept telling me I needed beer kind of offensive LOL. Like many people I hate being manipulated. When I noticed my own mind was manipulating me it became a challenge. I used my need or want to drink as motivation to not need it. The biggest hurdle is getting past the time when your mind reminds you everyday how much you like beer. The fact that you enjoy making beer might create problems there LOL.

Best of luck to you on your coming month. If you find it didn't go the way you planned nothing wrong with trying again.

Back
Top Bottom