Something that I don't understand

HigherDrifter

Prior to me getting "legal" with Cannabis use, most, if not all the weed I was getting was (more than likely) some dom Sativa coming up from Mexico.

Most of the time the weed was pretty decent - flavor, smell and cerebral amenities. Plus, more often than not, a good grip of viable seeds were present. For example, I usually stuck with acquiring only an ounce at a time. Just about every ounce I ever managed to score regularly included anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon's worth of seeds.

Here's what I am having a problem understanding:

1. The weed I used to smoke was evidently matured enough to render good seeds. According to all the information I've been reading over the last couple of years (over the internet) this matured weed I used to smoke should have been high in CBN's, but yet, there was very little "body weight" or lethargic effect with this weed and at the same time the "highs" were really good, even after only 2~3 tokes.

2. The summer before I harvested my own crop last year I bought 3/8 ounce (a quarter plus an eighth) of bud (w/seeds) from a local dispensary . They called it PGP (Pretty Good Pot). According to the dude at the counter it was supposed to be a Sativa/Indica split from a local grower/member. I got home, rolled a jay, took a couple of hits went about my life. Within just a few minutes I became so lethargic I could barely move without my head spinning. There were practically no cerebral effects at all and I began getting increasingly lethargic - I mean this shit was so heavy I felt like the affect of gravity increased by the power of 10.

So, question:

Why was this mature w/seed stuff from Mexico giving me good high, low body weight, low sedative qualities whereas the stuff I got from the dispensary glued me to the floor with next to no high?

Just doesn't make any sense to me.

I want some seeds from my crop this year, but I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to achieve this. I am going to keep only one tall male plant long enough to produce a few ripe pollen sacs. I then want to pollinate just one branch amongst my female plants for seed.

I am assuming which ever plant I pollinate is going to have to stay in the ground long enough for the seeds to develop and mature. I was thinking I could pollinate a bottom branch and then when it comes time for harvest (I want to harvest early) I could cut the stalk above the pollinated branch and leave the rest in the ground for the seeds to come to bear.

Please :helpsmilie:

Re: Something that I don't understand...

It is my opinion that the old timey mexi shit is just put up for money... that means they don't usually care about the cure or the high.
Fast forward to the stuff you get from a decently run dispensary and you get a higher quality... it is necessary these days to top everyone else... I just talked to a friend today who is South of me and we were talking about just that!

You can take quality strain/genes and make if funky by not doing shit right... nutes, care, cure... it all matters!

We used to pollinate the same way you are talking about... I don't know about leaving it on the plant to finish once you have pulled everything else but... you can pretty much count on that when the bud is ripe on that particular plant... mature seed won't be far behind!

I think most folks are looking for Indicas since Pain Relief is at the top of the MMJ list of desired effects. Sativas are too speedy for most folks with health problems, so the couch lock effect is what they are more interested in. Easier on the heart and BP too! ;)

It is my opinion that the old timey mexi shit is just put up for money... that means they don't usually care about the cure or the high.

Seems to be a misunderstanding here.

I had no problems smoking the old timey mexi shit. The quality (taste, smell, effects) wasn't that bad (quite good actually most of the time); the cerebral amenities (highs) were pretty good and the body effects were low. I was paying anywhere from $60~$100 for an ounce.

Fast forward to the stuff you get from a decently run dispensary and you get a higher quality

...it's the stuff I got from a supposedly reputable dispensary in my area that I had a problem with.

Due to my lack of purchasing power I had to stick with the cheaper low to mid grade Indica doms or low-grade S/I splits. I definitely couldn't afford the $200+ per oz. higher grade Indicas or the $250+ Sativas.

Why would I want to pay more money for less weed at a dispensary when the qualities and amenities from the Mexi weed (that I was getting) are more than adequate (for my needs)?

The only reason I started going to dispensaries in the first place was because my contacts/dealers/whatever were disappearing left and right (got outta Dodge, or arrested, dunno) OR I was simply tired of getting ripped off, mainly getting only half the weed I was supposed to get and/or left with ditch-weed. I painfully went without any weed at all for over 5 years before I finally got a doctor's recommendation, so the dispensary bit was temporary thing till I grew and harvested my own stuff.

you can pretty much count on that when the bud is ripe on that particular plant... mature seed won't be far behind!

This is where I'm having a problem in deciding what to do. I need to keep the CBN's as low as possible (me and CBN's don't get along too good) so I don't want all of my buds to be fully matured - not the stuff I want to use anyways. The only buds I want fully matured are the ones that have been pollinated.

Perhaps if I pollinate as soon as possible (when the buds are young) - I'm thinking maybe the pollinated branch will have matured seeds by the time I want to harvest.

This is only my second ever grow and my first time to make seeds so I not sure what to expect. I did a great deal of reading over the internet (during my first grow) and much of what I have read hasn't coincided with what actually happened.

I think most folks are looking for Indicas since Pain Relief is at the top of the MMJ list of desired effects. Sativas are too speedy for most folks with health problems, so the couch lock effect is what they are more interested in. Easier on the heart and BP too!

Yeah...I noticed that about Indicas, being the most popular that is. Indicas (both the buds and the seeds) appear to be more readily available and less expensive than Sativas. Not good for me though.

My concerns are more of mental/emotional relief - Major Depression, Amotivation Disorder, Anxiety, much of which is related to post-encephalitic complications and I've got Degenerative Disc Disease throughout my entire spine which wreaks havoc on my entire skeletal system. Keeping my head clear (being tentative) so that I don't do things that might leave me bed-ridden for 2 or 3 weeks is paramount and Sativas help me in that regard. I do have chronic pain but I don't cover it up - I deal with it and alleviate it with healthy eating habits, self-massage, self-accupressure, and meditative exercises.

I've never had problems with the speediness of Sativas. My heart is healthy and my BP is fine. Could be the stuff I used to smoke had just the right amount of Indica in it that curbed the speedy feeling...dunno.

To reiterate though, that last stuff I got from the dispensary was some really heavy stuff. I mean I literally felt like I was glued to the floor (I don't sleep in a typical bed, rather I sleep on the floor w/ 2 inch-8 pound padding) and any move I made had my head spinning.

To reiterate though, that last stuff I got from the dispensary was some really heavy stuff. I mean I literally felt like I was glued to the floor (I don't sleep in a typical bed, rather I sleep on the floor w/ 2 inch-8 pound padding) and any move I made had my head spinning.

Hmmm... I wonder what strain that could have been to have put you out to such a major degree? Could have been the fault of the grower and not the actual strain.

Sometimes if a grower lets the buds stay on the plant too long, most of the THC degrades into the compounds like CBN that give you all the drowsy/loopy effects. You want some of that to temper the THC, but you don't usually want very little THC and a ton of those drowsy compounds!

You might want to try a different dispensary and see if they have any Blueberry Diesel, Blueberry Kush or Blue Cheese. These all provide a decent amount of THC with varying degrees of CBN. I bet if you did an early harvest of one of these, say at around 7 weeks, you might get the results and effects you are looking for.

Cheers. :)

Hmmm... I wonder what strain that could have been to have put you out to such a major degree?

Your guess is as good as mine. The dude at the counter didn't seem to know very much about it. I remember him saying was that it was something of a S/I split, donated and locally grown - no doubt that's why it was so inexpensive(?); I only paid $40 for 3/8 ounce. There was another customer at the counter and she said she'd tried it and it was good.:rollingeyes:

Sometimes if a grower lets the buds stay on the plant too long, most of the THC degrades into the compounds like CBN that give you all the drowsy/loopy effects. You want some of that to temper the THC, but you don't usually want very little THC and a ton of those drowsy compounds!

Yeah. This is what's dumbfounding me. That Mexi-Sativa weed I used to smoke was matured enough to have seeds. You'd think they'd be heavily loaded with CBN's too, but they were not. I mean, very good THC high, low body weight and very little drowsy/loopy effects.

You might want to try a different dispensary and see if they have any Blueberry Diesel, Blueberry Kush or Blue Cheese. These all provide a decent amount of THC with varying degrees of CBN. I bet if you did an early harvest of one of these, say at around 7 weeks, you might get the results and effects you are looking for.

Actually, would like to get my hands on some good Colombian, Haze, or Thai seeds. It's been a while (several years) since I've had any of that but I sure do remember the effects (yeah...I know - good luck).

What I have right now growing in the back - if I get a good harvest/dry/cure w/seeds I just might stick with them for a spell. Haven't really cast anything in stone. I've been calling around around to see what's available. So far, all I've been able to find is Green Crack and Jack Herer Haze.

Never had Jack Herer Haze, but just finished a supply of Critical Jack { skunk X Jack Herer} that i grew...I would recommend it-a real happy high and lasts a long time....am growing more now! :roorrip:

Never had Jack Herer Haze, but just finished a supply of Critical Jack { skunk X Jack Herer} that i grew...I would recommend it-a real happy high and lasts a long time....am growing more now!

It appears Critical Jack is probably pretty close to what I grew last year and growing this year. I'll have to take some pics of the buds this year and see if anyone can give me an idea what strain they could be.

I really don't know what kind of seeds I've got. They were given to me sometime in May of last year. The guy who gave them to me claimed that they were the result of some cross-breeding thing he was doing up in Oregon a year or two prior (2008~9). He wasn't very specific about what strains he was growing, but, there was some mentionings of Skunk, Sativas and Indicas, like a potluck LOL.

Also, this guy I'm referring was more interested in the evening/nightime couchlock high Indica effects and not the daytime Sativa uplifting high effects. The bud I was able to harvest (early due the branches breaking off the plant) and use delivered some good, long-lasting cerebral effects but with some mild and tolerable drifty/floaty/sedative effects mixed in with it.

S/I splits or slight Indica doms are just not what I'm looking for. A landrace Sativa would be nice, but, I would settle for a stable, at least 80~90 percent Sativa strain. Plus, I'm not using Marijuana for the happy-happy-joy-joy recreational effects rather more for it's mental & physical health and healing amenities. Don't get me wrong - I definitely appreciate the creativity effects; when I'm playing my acoustic guitar - this beautiful music comes pouring out of the guitar. Just takes me away.

Yeah. This is what's dumbfounding me. That Mexi-Sativa weed I used to smoke was matured enough to have seeds. You'd think they'd be heavily loaded with CBN's too, but they were not. I mean, very good THC high, low body weight and very little drowsy/loopy effects.

Mexican sativas have never been known for high CBN levels, lol.

Mexican sativas are likely never harvested late, and are generally cut ASAP. It's not a labor of love for them, it's a money thing.

Males (generally) show first. In a rough and quick outdoor operation where one or more might be missed - either in the same field or in the general area - stray pollen can fertilize individual buds at any time.

A well-grown sativa will almost always cost more than a well-grown indica. They require more space, more light, and much more time to flower to maturity. Outdoors, that time is not available in many locations. Indoors, for many, there is a profit-motive working against time (along with the space and light aspects).

The "average grower" doesn't like to wait on a strain that takes 14-24 (or even more) weeks in flower. Seedbanks know this, and seem to pollute most of their "sativas" with indica genetics.

If you shop for seeds, look for descriptions that quote LONG flowering times. Something like "most will finish between 18-24 weeks of flowering; discard the rest" would probably be a good one - especially if you plan on NOT discarding the rest, lol.

The best way to have the kind of affect that YOU are looking for is to grow it yourself. I bet some of the seeds from the Mexican sativas you've had grew into nice examples (if you were lucky on the "pollen lottery" and if you have a long growing season or good lights indoors). Find something that you like especially well and keep a mother plant going. You never know when that special something will become unavailable (trust me).

Just rambling...

Mexican sativas have never been known for high CBN levels, lol.

Ah hah. That clears a lot up.

It's not a labor of love for them, it's a money thing.

Yeah...I reckon so. Regardless, most of time what I got was pretty good stuff and the seeds were viable.

A well-grown sativa will almost always cost more than a well-grown indica.

For the commercial grower that me be an issue.

I am assuming the "cost" you're referring to is more related to the amount of time consumed(?) since Sativas typically take longer to grow (sprout,veg,bud, etc.,) and usually have smaller yields.

The "average grower" doesn't like to wait on a strain that takes 14-24 (or even more) weeks in flower

I reckon I'm not the "average grower" then LOL I don't mind the wait. As long as I can harvest and dry before the wet weather I'm okay with it.

Seedbanks know this, and seem to pollute most of their "sativas" with indica genetics.

So I've noticed.

The best way to have the kind of affect that YOU are looking for is to grow it yourself.

No doubt. That's what I've been trying to do from the very beginning.

I bet some of the seeds from the Mexican sativas you've had grew into nice examples

Personally, I've never had the pleasure of a sucessfull grow/harvest. Was always getting thwarted by the police or by someone discovering my hide-away and chopping my plants. I reckon I oughta thank my luck stars that I wasn't arrested and charged - they (the police) just confiscated my plants :straightface:
Just rambling...

Ramble on man - doesn't bother me at all - I do it myself :). It's good-to-know information. Thanks :thumb:

I am assuming the "cost" you're referring to is more related to the amount of time consumed(?) since Sativas typically take longer to grow (sprout,veg,bud, etc.,) and usually have smaller yields.

I was referring to the amount that you'd have to spend on a good one at a dispensary. But your statement is also true.

I reckon I'm not the "average grower" then

Many here are not.

I don't mind the wait. As long as I can harvest and dry before the wet weather I'm okay with it.

Therein lies the rub. If your growing season is long enough and if the weather cooperates.

Personally, I've never had the pleasure of a sucessfull grow/harvest. Was always getting thwarted by the police or by someone discovering my hide-away and chopping my plants.

Maybe it's time to drift indoors?

Maybe it's time to drift indoors?

Oh, no - no, no LOL.

I've been supported with a doctor now for 2 years. Got my certificate posted out back with my plants.

Even back when prop 215 was passed in California in '96 the doctors that I was seeing (psychiatric, neuro and orthopedic - both public and private) didn't want to support me at all. Always one stupid bullshit excuse after another. It was like talking to statues fully covered in pigeon droppings and the only thing that moved was the mouth. Oh, but they sure didn't mind prescribing all that crap from the pharmaceutical companies.

Back
Top Bottom