Starting Cannabis seeds without the shells on

Never considered shelling a seed. I pop seeds I saved from the late 80s with better than 75% success. If stored correctly they can last a long time. A vary gentle scuff on the seed to remove oil barrier. 5 drops of hydrogen peroxide in a shot glass of kelp tea for a sreile oxygenated environment. The tea has amino acids, the building block of cells. Old seeds lack viable amino acid and the minerals in the tea. Continue kelp foliar feed until the seedling is established.

I removed the shells off of some seeds that would not pop, like 4 days after soaking them. They did not grow as I remember. I peel the seam of the seed with a sharp knife in case the shell is tough and the embryo weak. The embryo comes out of the seam so that is the weak point.

I think I squished a seed or two with the nut cracker thing, I know I did one. I would go around the seam and ends of the shell and scrape as much off as you can without damaging the embryo. Just pulling apart a tiny cannabis seed is something that makes me cringe, like I am going to damage the embryo if it sticks to the shell.

I removed the shells off of some seeds that would not pop, like 4 days after soaking them. They did not grow as I remember. I peel the seam of the seed with a sharp knife in case the shell is tough and the embryo weak. The embryo comes out of the seam so that is the weak point.

I think I squished a seed or two with the nut cracker thing, I know I did one. I would go around the seam and ends of the shell and scrape as much off as you can without damaging the embryo. Just pulling apart a tiny cannabis seed is something that makes me cringe, like I am going to damage the embryo if it sticks to the shell.
It's very easy to mess up extracting the seed from the embryo. I initially do not plant or soak the seeds before trying to germinate the embryo. I do believe the shell helps strengthen the seedling so this time I tried to germinate the seeds leaving the shell on in my Aurora plus. I was having issues with the device to which I believe it was not getting to set temperature so some seeds germinated and this is possible due to some pods working and some not. So the pods that weren't working I took those seeds and extracted the embryo which as stated above I usually do not do and am trying to germinate them currently in an incubator which they have been in Tomorrow being there 3rd day in the incubator. Tomorrow I should know wether or not the seeds that were wet for 4 days trying to germinate which the embryo was extracted from will show any signs of growth or not. I personally have only had success with taking the embryo directly out of the shell before trying to germinate. I have some pictures on the last page of my thread.

This is how I do it to "rescue stock".

These were 4 days into germination. (50% germ rate, shown is the 50% that did not germ.)

I manually cracked them, and then those all germinated fine after cracking.

I have close to a 99% success rate cracking seeds now, but I've literally cracked a few hundred. (When I started it was very easy to destroy the embryo for me as well.)

Organic Toasted Hemp Seeds with Sea Salt Buy a bag of these from our sponsor @Foods Alive . If you can shell a bag of these, you will become an expert
IMG_3810a.JPG

Look closely they are all shelled

Organic Toasted Hemp Seeds with Sea Salt Buy a bag of these from our sponsor @Foods Alive . If you can shell a bag of these, you will become an expert
IMG_3810a.JPG

Look closely they are all shelled

Nice, great idea!

I thought about buying some bulk hemp seed before. (But the first seeds I ever made I never stored correctly, and every once in a while I pop 40-50 and see if I can get a viable one... So yeah that ended up being great practice stock over the years.)

Back
Top Bottom