Starting Cannabis seeds without the shells on

Was wondering if anybody else has started any cannabis seeds by removing the seed shell first?

Was wondering if anybody else has started any cannabis seeds by removing the seed shell first?
Why remove the shell?

The shell protects the cotyledons until the tap root starts to dive down deeper into the soil. The shell continues to protect the cotyledons while they are being pushed through the soil.

Probably other reasons for the shell but those are starter ideas on why it is there.

Why remove the shell?

The shell protects the cotyledons until the tap root starts to dive down deeper into the soil. The shell continues to protect the cotyledons while they are being pushed through the soil.

Probably other reasons for the shell but those are starter ideas on why it is there.
Because the old seed doesn't have enough energy to push the shell open
I didn’t even think that was possible so I’m a no. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheer:
It is & I have done it. Did it Spring 2020
I am redocumenting my experiment here since my first posting is buried in an old thread

I started with these pumpkin seeds
A picture of some 5 year old pumpkin seeds I had trouble germinating.
So I removed the shells & got them to germinate in 2 days
IMG_1618 shell less pumpkin seeds.JPG

So I have some 20 year old Kush seeds I can't get to sprout so it gave me an idea :idea: how about if I try this on them
Well I try first with 5 of my fresh SS seed & I get 5 Success
Got the shells off
IMG_1615 (2) shell removed.JPG

Here they are starting to germinate
IMG_1616 (2) shell less seeds germinating.JPG

Here is a picture of them 10 days later
IMG_1633  10 day old seedling  on paper towel.JPG

I'm sure you are dying to know how I got the shells off.
You could use one of those fancy seed crackers
But I just did it the old-fashioned way, like eating sunflower seeds between my teeth

So I have to laugh at people who talk about even touching the seed, causing it not to grow

In nature birds eat seeds & sh*t them out. Nature's way of roughing & softening the seed shell
Long story short I never got the 20-year-old Kush to germinate

Because the old seed doesn't have enough energy to push the shell open

It is & I have done it. Did it Spring 2020
I am redocumenting my experiment here since my first posting is buried in an old thread

I started with these pumpkin seeds
A picture of some 5 year old pumpkin seeds I had trouble germinating.
So I removed the shells & got them to germinate in 2 days
IMG_1618 shell less pumpkin seeds.JPG

So I have some 20 year old Kush seeds I can't get to sprout so it gave me an idea :idea: how about if I try this on them
Well I try first with 5 of my fresh SS seed & I get 5 Success
Got the shells off
IMG_1615 (2) shell removed.JPG

Here they are starting to germinate
IMG_1616 (2) shell less seeds germinating.JPG

Here is a picture of them 10 days later
IMG_1633  10 day old seedling  on paper towel.JPG

I'm sure you are dying to know how I got the shells off.
You could use one of those fancy seed crackers
But I just did it the old-fashioned way, like eating sunflower seeds between my teeth

So I have to laugh at people who talk about even touching the seed, causing it not to grow

In nature birds eat seeds & sh*t them out. Nature's way of roughing & softening the seed shell
Long story short I never got the 20-year-old Kush to germinate
I never bought the whole thing about not touching the seeds. Because I have done it with no problems whatsoever so if it’s not broke? CL🍀. :thumb: :cheer:

Interestingly, I was just on the @CannaPot website checking out their new strains and they're selling a seed cracker.

So, maybe you're onto something, Joe.

I would be tempted to try this method with one of the Lambs Bread seeds I received from @Canuk Seeds. So far, I've adhered to their germination method but of 4 put into water, I only have 1/4 that have proven viable. I put another seed in water this morning and I only have one seed left after that. If I still don't get a sprout after the one in water, I'll be very tempted to try this method with the last Lambs Bread seed but I'll resist since I suspect it would contradict the comparative grow rules.

I may take a clone from the one that has sprouted when it's big enough. That's what I did with the Sugar Black Herer I was growing for a @Herbies Seeds when I couldn't get a second seed to sprout.

I would be tempted to try this method with one of the Lambs Bread seeds I received from @Canuk Seeds. So far, I've adhered to their germination method but of 4 put into water, I only have 1/4 that have proven viable. I put another seed in water this morning and I only have one seed left after that. If I still don't get a sprout after the one in water, I'll be very tempted to try this method with the last Lambs Bread seed but I'll resist since I suspect it would contradict the comparative grow rules.

I may take a clone from the one that has sprouted when it's big enough. That's what I did with the Sugar Black Herer I was growing for a @Herbies Seeds when I couldn't get a second seed to sprout.
Are you keeping your seeds on a heat mat or place that stays constant temp 75 -80 f
Also try adding a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to water

I started another batch of seeds by extracting the embryos and I'm starting to understand the seed differently, I can now look at a cannabis seed and see what side the cotyledons will be just by looking at the seed. I also noticed something with this batch of embryos. All embryos were not as mature as others even though the seed shell was fully developed, looking at this made me think back to when I had bad germ rates with these seeds where some popped and some did not, by extracting the embryos I see why.

Are you keeping your seeds on a heat mat or place that stays constant temp 75 -80 f
Also try adding a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to water

Thanks, Joe. The new seeds popped so I now have 2 Lamb's Bread seeds growing.

And, yes, I use a @Mars Hydro heating mat.

There was some issues that I noticed when doing this type of Germination. One of the issues I experienced were short tap root growth. Next issue was cotyledons were small and sometimes even white. As much as I had a great time with this experiment I can't say that this would be my preferred method. My first step would to be germinate with the shell and second would be to extract the embryo.

There was some issues that I noticed when doing this type of Germination. One of the issues I experienced were short tap root growth. Next issue was cotyledons were small and sometimes even white. As much as I had a great time with this experiment I can't say that this would be my preferred method. My first step would to be germinate with the shell and second would be to extract the embryo.
This type of germination should only be used as a last resort. The chance of damaging the embryo is high. If the seed is fresh, you should not have to worry about germination. Did you germinate in the dark or under light?

This type of germination should only be used as a last resort. The chance of damaging the embryo is high. If the seed is fresh, you should not have to worry about germination. Did you germinate in the dark or under light?
I germinated in an incubator, both with light on and off. Light on the cotyledon was green, with lights off albino. It didn't make much of a difference other than one set had color but same type of growth. Also I ran into deformities eventhough seed extraction did not damage embryo. From my experiment it works but how the seedling will turn out is a shot in the dark. For some reason I feel that with this experiment I was somewhat wrong about my conclusion about the embryo not needing the seed shell

I germinated in an incubator, both with light on and off. Light on the cotyledon was green, with lights off albino. It didn't make much of a difference other than one set had color but same type of growth. Also I ran into deformities eventhough seed extraction did not damage embryo. From my experiment it works but how the seedling will turn out is a shot in the dark. For some reason I feel that with this experiment I was somewhat wrong about my conclusion about the embryo not needing the seed shell
First time I heard of this being done. Nice.

Eventhough there is some pros and cons to this method I find it the most effective. Waiting for the embryo to grow through the seed shell in my opinion has too many unknowns such as the Embryo probably was not developed causing bad germination rates, seed shell could be too hard etc. I find this as my go to method still.

Back
Top Bottom