Stealth - Soil - HID - Smart Pot - SCROG - GDP - First Grow

Giantsfan24

Wow..it's finally here..

After what seems like freakin months building, testing and tweaking my box...I jumped out and got my clones today.

So here is the "dirt" so to speak! :)

What strain is it? GDP - Grand Daddy Purple
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? 100% Indica
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg
If in Veg... For how long? Clones...1 to 2 weeks maybe??
If in Flower stage... For how long? N/A
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor, stealth box
Soil or Hydro? Soil.
If soil... what is in your mix? 2/3's Fox Farms OF, 1/3 Fox Farms LW
If soil... What size pot? 3 gal Smart Pots
Size of light? 250w HID
Is it aircooled? Yes
Temp of Room/cab? Lights on = 72 to 78 degrees, lights off 60 to 62 degrees.
RH of Room/cab? 30% to 45%
PH of media or res? Run off ph is 5.2
Any Pests ? Nope. Sprayed with SNR 217 immediately.
How often are you watering? Once so far
Type and strength of ferts used? No ferts yet. TechnaFlora Starter Kit (I know, I know training wheels!)
Water? ZeroWater filtration system - TDS - zero ppm. Ph 7.1

I've been reading everywhere that I should try to scrog with one plant per square foot. That seems like a lot for the space that I have. I'll probably have to veg a little longer than most with just two plants.

I could probably get away with having 4, 2 gallon smart pots and that would work very well...next grow! I want to get these two going and in good shape, learn some things and move on...

I bought a gram of Purple Urkle and a gram of GDP while I was there..awesome dispensary...Fruitridge H & W if you live in the Sacramento area. Awesome service and incredible products.

Here are my Day 1 pics...

GDP111.jpg

BothGurlz1.jpg

GDP27.jpg

The scrog frame is about 12" above the growing medium. Being that I've got only two plants for just under 6 square feet, I'm going to lower that to about 8" or 10". I think that will cut down on my veg time...

Your thoughts, criticism is always welcome. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Re: Stealth, Soil, HID, Smart Pot, SCRog, GDP - First Grow

Nice on the GDP man! :smokin: She'll grow like a champ in no time, I'm letting my GDP veg all the way till around 30 days. The GDP stays nice and short so the extra veg time couldn't hurt. :roorrip:

:goodluck:

Thanks buddy..

Lights

I've got the lights about 2 feet off these new clones right now. Thinking of lowering them down 6" a day or something like that until they are pretty close.

Any thoughts on that?? I can't wait to try the Urkle...geez that stuff smelled so different. So much has changed since the 70's.

Day 2

Everything is looking really good so far...not much happening. They are looking perky! No evidence of shock at all so far. I don't think the roots have busted through to the medium...too soon. Maybe then.

I moved the light down about 6" today. The gurlz look a little stretchy but don't want to get the light too close too soon.

Didn't water today as they didn't seem to need it.

The RH is just fine running about 43% when I was in there this morning. I'm happy for that as it was one of my concerns.

Got both timers working and I need to seal off the area where the cords are exiting the box..not sure how to do that but..I'll figure it out..any suggestions are great!

Day_2_-_4.jpg

Day_2_-_3.jpg

Day_2_-_2.jpg

Day_2_-_1.jpg

Comments??

:thanks:

Your girls are looking really good. Question: why do you need to "seal off the area where the cords are exiting the box"? How big is the area? Can you take a picture of it?

Your girls are looking really good. Question: why do you need to "seal off the area where the cords are exiting the box"? How big is the area? Can you take a picture of it?

It's in the picture in the background. It's a 3" round hole that I run plugs through. I figured I should at least put some landscaping cloth over it for 1) so that light doesn't get into the box during flower and 2) to deter pests..not that I expect prevention cause I'll have to leave it somewhat open just in case.

Your thoughts??

How are you venting your box? Do you have sufficient inlets for air exchange? If you have a problem with light getting into the box through the hole, I would just put a flap on it on one side. If you really want to seal it, you can always use some duct tape or something. If you are only worried about pests, you can put some pantyhose over the hole and that will keep the pests out. :hookah:

The GDP looks like its stretching, It could be due to the 250 hps has mostly 2700 k in the light spectrum. You could get a few 6500 k CFL's as close to the plant as possible (while maintaining proper temps near the plant) Mix in a few cfl's with the hps. You can do that almost immediately, your plant will take to it real nice. Not like nutes where some people will step up the nutes in stages to reduce the risk of shocking your plant.

:smokin:

How are you venting your box? Do you have sufficient inlets for air exchange? If you have a problem with light getting into the box through the hole, I would just put a flap on it on one side. If you really want to seal it, you can always use some duct tape or something. If you are only worried about pests, you can put some pantyhose over the hole and that will keep the pests out. :hookah:

Thanks Hard...I've got two 3" passive intakes just to the left and right of the cord hole.

Additionally, I've got an intake fan that blows in air and an exhaust at the top of the box. I've got a supplement fan installed with a carbon filter attached to that in case of excess heat I having trouble displacing/smell gets too strong in flower.

I was thinking of going landscaping cloth...it's dark and should be a good deterrent against pests as well as a light block.

Thanks!

The GDP looks like its stretching, It could be due to the 250 hps has mostly 2700 k in the light spectrum. You could get a few 6500 k CFL's as close to the plant as possible (while maintaining proper temps near the plant) Mix in a few cfl's with the hps. You can do that almost immediately, your plant will take to it real nice. Not like nutes where some people will step up the nutes in stages to reduce the risk of shocking your plant.

:smokin:

Hey Thew..I thought it was stretching as well. That could be..I've got the MH bulb in there now..which is running about 4000k.

Should I just bring it down a little further? I lowered it 6" or so today. My thinking was that, due to they just being planted yesterday, that I'd leave it up for a few days a lower it gradually..

Your thoughts??

You're right, landscaping cloth will work perfectly. Personally I would lower the light gradually. You can always LST them if they are too stretchy.

I've always been a believer of putting the lights as close as possible without burning the plant. So yeah put that light close up as you can while being mindful of the temps. Yeah i would still get a few 6500 k cfl's, it wont hurt, maybe 3, also they will help a bit in flowering, add some variety to the spectrum, I'm also a firm believer in mixed spectrum's when growing. Yeah id push that light closer to it. Hope this helps!

:roorrip:

You're right, landscaping cloth will work perfectly. Personally I would lower the light gradually. You can always LST them if they are too stretchy.

Yeah..I've got them get firmly rooted before I do any training. I've got the scrog frame all ready to go and installed...just got to get a little vertical.

Thew1sest said:
I've always been a believer of putting the lights as close as possible without burning the plant. So yeah put that light close up as you can while being mindful of the temps. Yeah i would still get a few 6500 k cfl's, it wont hurt, maybe 3, also they will help a bit in flowering, add some variety to the spectrum, I'm also a firm believer in mixed spectrum's when growing. Yeah id push that light closer to it. Hope this helps!

I'm going to lower it some more when the lights come on at 5. I was going to go 20/4 but everything I've read is that there isn't any real advantage to anything past 18/6 so that's how I'm set up.

CFL's....could do that..good idea..

Day 3

Woke up to the gurlz looking a tiny bit stressed but still growing....

Gave them just a little water as the soil wasn't totally dry but thought they could use a little drink. It's been two days since their last watering...

I lowered the light down to 8". I don't have heat issues as the reflector is air cooled and the 6" recirculating fan is working it's magic. (damn glad I went up in size on that)

Day_3_-_4.jpg

Day_3_-_3.jpg

Temp and humidity look great. Really happy about that. It has warmed up over the last couple days and my fans have been running a little more than I'd like. I pumped up the volume on the intake fan and the recirculating fan and temps came right down nicely.

Day_3_-2.jpg

Day_3_-1.jpg

Both plants are showing lots of new growth. Not so much tall but getting busier. Love bushy plants.

I'd like to grow trainwreck as the wife likes it but a sativa with my height restriction might be hard even scrogging it. Your thoughts??

That's about the update. Thanks for viewing!

Day 4

Things are going pretty well so far...I'm seeing a little leaf curling on the lower leaf sets but I'm not panicking as I think they are still adjusting to the transplant..maybe a little shock??

The rest of the plant looks fine and they are bushing out as many have said they would. It's consistent with the strain.

Here is what I mean by the leaf curling...

Day_4_-1.jpg

Day_4_-_2.jpg

It's going on on both plants...I sprayed them both with SNR 217 prior to planting them..that's the residue seen on these leaves.

Full shots..

Day_4_-_4.jpg

Day_4_-_3.jpg

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to watch them grow..I wish the weather would tone down a bit..been warmer than it has been in 2 months here. It's making the temps a little higher than I'd like..my fans are working a bit much..

I figure with my setup, I've got this grow then I'm done til fall..I may be able to get in one more before summer..depends on how this one goes..I was hoping to harvest by April...

I disassembled the scrog frame...I did a shitty job on it anyway...and am going with a pvc version of it..I was thinking about making it smaller but decided against it as my next grow will be 4 plants in 2 gallon smart pots. It probably won't double my yield but will certainly increase it.

Any thoughts??

Just pulled up a chair. As you can tell, by my log-in name, we are neighbors. I am also doing a SCROG (second time). Good luck.

Just pulled up a chair. As you can tell, by my log-in name, we are neighbors. I am also doing a SCROG (second time). Good luck.

Yes we are! Saw you're comment on another thread..welcome bro! (or babe!)

Do you have a link to your grow?? Would love to check it out...

:welcome:

mQUOTE=giantsfan24;1233968]Yes we are! Saw you're comment on another thread..welcome bro! (or babe!)

:welcome:[/QUOTE]

I am just an old hippie who's back into the brotherhood/sisterhood of growers after a long drug free (being management) 10 years. Retired young and love to grow. I only read and comment, not into doing a journel.

mQUOTE=giantsfan24;1233968]Yes we are! Saw you're comment on another thread..welcome bro! (or babe!)

:welcome:

I am just an old hippie who's back into the brotherhood/sisterhood of growers after a long drug free (being management) 10 years. Retired young and love to grow. I only read and comment, not into doing a journel.[/QUOTE]

LOL...sweet well sit back and enjoy!

Just checked in on the gurlz...they are doing well..the soil felt a little dry so I gave them some water and tucked them in..

Lot's of new growth...I'm wondering if I should be starting nutes this early? Day 5 is tomorrow. Any thoughts are appreciated.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom