Super Stealth Poormans Grow, Cfl + Lst

Ahh okay. I thought I only saw one. Since it isn't front to back, it'll be a little less effective but should be okay still. May need more fans or higher CFM fans up near the top maybe. Since it is enclosed in the desk, there isn't a whole lot you can do and still keep it stealthy (not that I can think of right now, at least).

Yeh as i get more money ill add a few more fans on for sure
cheers for the help

These 2 plants are 19 days old.
They should be alot bigger by now,
any1 have any ideas as to why they aren't growing properly?

These 2 plants are 19 days old.
They should be alot bigger by now,
any1 have any ideas as to why they aren't growing properly?

Hey Tomeh. How are the temps coming along? If you could install another PC fan (or two) as close to the top of the box as possible (for additional exhaust) it'd probably help. After that, you might also consider cutting an additional passive intake hole near the bottom of the box to improve the total amount of air flow. PC fans (axial fans) can be good and quiet, but they are not good at pushing air against resistance. They have a low "static pressure" so you will need more of them to achieve the air flow you really need for an enclosed system.

Also, have you added some perlite to the soil? How often are you watering? How close are the plants to the lights right now? And, if you could post a couple of pics, the folks here could probably diagnose your growth issues a little better. Peace.

Yeh when its closed up it gets way to hot in there, 96 Fahrenheit. :|
I put a fan in the box for ventiliation but its still way to hot.
If i open the box it goes down to 84.

Any ideas any1?

Is the fan drawing air out of the box or pushing it in?

If the fan is drawing air out, then there needs to be some way for fresh air to get in (passive intakes). Also, if the fresh air coming into the box is from your secret space under the desk, maybe the air coming in is already heated too much.

Good luck.

Is the fan drawing air out of the box or pushing it in?

If the fan is drawing air out, then there needs to be some way for fresh air to get in (passive intakes). Also, if the fresh air coming into the box is from your secret space under the desk, maybe the air coming in is already heated too much.

Good luck.

One fan is bringing air in and one is pushing air out, the air coming in seems pretty cool if i put my hand in front of it.

Hey Tomeh. How are the temps coming along? If you could install another PC fan (or two) as close to the top of the box as possible (for additional exhaust) it'd probably help. After that, you might also consider cutting an additional passive intake hole near the bottom of the box to improve the total amount of air flow. PC fans (axial fans) can be good and quiet, but they are not good at pushing air against resistance. They have a low "static pressure" so you will need more of them to achieve the air flow you really need for an enclosed system.

Also, have you added some perlite to the soil? How often are you watering? How close are the plants to the lights right now? And, if you could post a couple of pics, the folks here could probably diagnose your growth issues a little better. Peace.

A few inches from the lights, the soil mix is now 1/3 vermiculite, i water when the soil is not moist and i will post pics in a sec

Plant no.1 has yellowish leaves, the lower leaves are brown and dead and the emerging leaves have stayed in the same position for the past 2 weeks:
yah1.JPG

Plant no.2 has emerging leaves which haven't opened up yet and they have been like that for the past 2 weeks as you can see in this picture:
yah2.JPG

This is the setup at the moment, the lights are about 6 inches from the top of the plants:
yah3.JPG

A few inches from the lights, the soil mix is now 1/3 vermiculite, i water when the soil is not moist and i will post pics in a sec

Found it. I'm just gonna give you my opinion. I think if it were at all possible I'd get rid of the Richgrow "premium" potting soil. From their website:

"It contains Osmocote controlled release fertiliser, EZI-WET soil wetter and a balanced level of trace elements for great results."

I'm most concerned about the "controlled release fertilizer". I've heard so many complaints and horror stories about these types of fertilized soils. You might want to wait for confirmation from more experienced growers, but I'm pretty sure that the soil is at least a part of the problem. Probably a combination of heat stress and improper fertilization, I'm guessing.

Found it. I'm just gonna give you my opinion. I think if it were at all possible I'd get rid of the Richgrow "premium" potting soil. From their website:

"It contains Osmocote controlled release fertiliser, EZI-WET soil wetter and a balanced level of trace elements for great results."

I'm most concerned about the "controlled release fertilizer". I've heard so many complaints and horror stories about these types of fertilized soils. You might want to wait for confirmation from more experienced growers, but I'm pretty sure that the soil is at least a part of the problem. Probably a combination of heat stress and improper fertilization, I'm guessing.

Thanks for that
Have you had problems with controlled release ferts before?
Coz i have grown a variety of other plants successfully with controlled release ferts in my potting mix.
Unless marijuana is sensitive to this kind of thing i have no ideas why it could cause a problem
Cheers

Thanks for that
Have you had problems with controlled release ferts before?
Coz i have grown a variety of other plants successfully with controlled release ferts in my potting mix. Unless marijuana is sensitive to this kind of thing i have no ideas why it could cause a problem
Cheers

Hey tomeh. I have grown house plants with soils containing time-released ferts without a problem too, but I avoided this stuff for my first cannabis grow based on problems other growers have had with them and the advice of more experienced growers (plus I wanted to go organic anyway). You can search around this forum and probably find a lot more info from people who have actually tried these types of soils though, just to see what kind of results they got.

Every time you water, the soil is releasing a burst of synthetic chemicals. It's probably just too much for those little plants to handle right now. Good luck.

Hey tomeh. I have grown house plants with soils containing time-released ferts without a problem too, but I avoided this stuff for my first cannabis grow based on problems other growers have had with them and the advice of more experienced growers (plus I wanted to go organic anyway). You can search around this forum and probably find a lot more info from people who have actually tried these types of soils though, just to see what kind of results they got.

Every time you water, the soil is releasing a burst of synthetic chemicals. It's probably just too much for those little plants to handle right now. Good luck.

Yeh that makes sense im sprouting another seed in rockwool and i wont put it into soil for a while and i'll see how that goes.
Cheers

im sprouting another seed in rockwool and i wont put it into soil for a while and i'll see how that goes.
Cheers

Hey Tomeh, were you able to swap out the soil for the first two little plants? or maybe you were able to continue using the existing soil?

I'm sure you're gonna be growing a nice plant or two in there once you get everything dialed in. Good luck, man.

How did this grow turn out?
We would love to be updated with some pictures and info!

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom